cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Tie Out Suggestions

suzmax
Explorer
Explorer
What is your favorite dog tie out? I hear the ones that screw into the ground pull out easily and the retractable ones stop retracting. Obviously we wouldn't leave them tied out unattended, but when we're sitting out it would be nice to have something that worked. And since we have 4 dogs any ideas for multiple dog tie outs are welcome. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!

Susan
12 REPLIES 12

Lilrhody
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
We have a swivel underneath the step of the motorhome and connect two leashes to it. We add leashes to the two leashes to make it longer. The dogs never get tangled up.
If we tie them up around a tree we take the swivel and leashes off the motorhome and wrap it around the tree.

We always make sure they have their harnesses on especially when tied up.

I am curious about your swivel - do you have a picture?

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We use an x-pen with dog hammocks inside to let them get off the ground and away from sand and biting insects. We put the top of an old beach umbrella over the top to provide shade. We're planning on getting a second x-pen this year to enlarge the area.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Same as you - our dogs were walked for the exercise; and being tied out was just for laying on the patio watching the world go by. We use 10' tie-out cables on the dogs, and just attached them to whatever was handy (I added an eye bolt to a point on the frame under our Class C to attach a cable to). I admit that we seldom tied our Aussie - he was the sort of dog you could say "stay on the mat" and he would. Still made him drag a 6' leash - just in case....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a swivel underneath the step of the motorhome and connect two leashes to it. We add leashes to the two leashes to make it longer. The dogs never get tangled up.
If we tie them up around a tree we take the swivel and leashes off the motorhome and wrap it around the tree.

We always make sure they have their harnesses on especially when tied up.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you're worried that the Rottie will pull the chair and you off, then is a screen wall going to be sufficient?

My dogs are mighty lizard hunters. If they saw one while in a screen room, they'd be outside within a heartbeat. When they're on the leash, the chair and I are going to slow them down. They are also right with me, so I'm more aware of what they're doing and if something's attracting their attention.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

suzmax
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We fasten the leash on our chair arm and she lays on the rug next to us. She can see what's going on but is under the awning so out of the sun.

That's probably a good idea for all but the Rottweiler. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I mean, he's well-behaved but if he sees something that interests him we might all be going for a look...him, the chair and the person! I like your profile name...we have an embroidery business and we do a lot of dog stuff (SmileDog Embroidery) and make Doxie Mom hats and just did a jacket for our local animal shelter's annual event (although the person who donated the jacket wanted it to say Dachshund Mom). We had a designer in LA draw a bunch of dog designs for us and we went with the most popular breeds...Dachshund's being one of them. Great little doggies!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We fasten the leash on our chair arm and she lays on the rug next to us. She can see what's going on but is under the awning so out of the sun.

suzmax
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your suggestions! Looks like we'll be getting the Clam 1660 Mag Screen House so they can be in there, out of the sun. They go for lots of walks and hikes so this will give them time to rest. ๐Ÿ™‚

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Tie a rope to the front of the rig and to the rear of the rig. Tie 4 loops in it spaced apart. Connect a dog leash to each loop. This works even if there's no trees to tie off to. If you hook them to a common point or even a line they can slide along they'll get tangled up. You'll want a space where they don't get afternoon sun.
Currently Between RVs

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is no perfect tie out - they all have their issues, and with 4 dogs, you will spend more time untangling them that you will relaxing. The other issue with them is that the majority have extra long lines which can often be longer than the space of your site creating a nuisance. Running lines between trees, etc. can place the dogs in inconvenient spaces.

For me, I have two dogs and use a double leash with them. The ends attached to the dogs are about 18 inches long so they can easily wander and switch sides. Then I attached a 6 foot leash to the connector. I simply hook the end of the leash to the chair I'm sitting in, or my foot, RV door, etc. I have found this to be the easiest solution.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We use two tie outs that we pound into the ground and run a 25' runner cable then attach a 20' retractable leash to that. Gives Draco lots of room to roam without getting caught up in something. He loves the water so we try to get his runner as close to water as possible so he can swim.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We don't tie ours out. We have two of the folding exercise pens that can be hooked together with an Easy-Up over the top for shade. This works far better for us.