cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing a dog into Mexico

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Shortly I will be going to Weslaco, Texas and to Nuevo Progresso for dental work. This is my first trip to the area. I'll be walking across the bridge for my dental appointment. I may consider other leisurely trips to walk and visit and I'm interested to know if anyone brings their dogs over for such an outing and can offer insight: pro or con. THANKS.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
6 REPLIES 6

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven down to PV with our lab a couple of times. Its really no issue. The Mexicans couldn't care less that you have a dog, in-fact it will speed up the process. We have a large yellow lab and the customers guy was so scared upon opening the back he decided against searching our car. Upon returning to the states, I've never even been asked for health records. You should have them just incase. They have confiscated our pet food once, apparently because it was open. Not sure.
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Just left Weslaco last week, had dental work done at Progresso, had no problems, but would not take my dogs over. It is conjested area and I am not sure you could take you dog into the dentist office. Good luck.
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

Linda_Z
Explorer
Explorer
The only vaccination either Mexico or Canada are interested in is rabies.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/importexport?1dmy&urile=wcm%3apath%3a%2Faphis_content_library%2Fsa_our_focus%2Fsa_import_export%2Fsa_animals%2Fsa_pet_travel%2Fct_animal_imports_pets

Linda Z (currently in La Paz, MX with 4 perros)

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you'll have any trouble taking your pooch across but I'm certain you'll have quite a hassle bringing him back with you. At the least the customs will require a health certificate showing rabies and common vaccines completed within the last 30 days.

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Different laws and legal system, rampant government corruption, drug, gun and human trafficking that will always be concentrated along the border... combined with being in an unfamiliar place... What could possibly go wrong?

Please don't wander around down there alone. Go to your appointment, stay in well traveled areas, and go home. And leave the pup at home.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I think the dog needs to be taken to the vet for that sort of thing.(g)