cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrictions on Leaving Dogs in RV's

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is planning a six month trip down the West Coast this Fall/Winter. It'll be our first RV trip and we're planning on bringing our yellow lab.

The plan is to make many stops along the way, maybe a week here and there and then continue on our journey. We're are a little concerned about bringing a pet as we've heard most campgrounds don't allow you to leave your dog unattended in an RV (due to barking). We assume they'll be days where we don't go far from the campsite, those days will be easy but what about the days you go to locations where Dogs can't accompany you or its a hassle. What do you guys do? I'm thinking getting groceries, seeing an attraction, etc. Are most campground this way or are the majority ok with leaving pets in the RV.

Any info on campgrounds that are more pet friendly or other suggestions needed.
Thanks so much.
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
18 REPLIES 18

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do as most posters here have said. If necessary we leave them in the fiver with tv on. If we are staying at the same cg for a few days we always let our neighbors know if we are leaving them so they can let us know if they bark. Never in the many years we have left them have we had a negative report from our neighbors. We also leave our cell numbers in case there is a power outage so we can come directly back in hot weather.

As one poster stated as long as they behave no one knows they are in the fiver anyway.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Every pet is different. If your pet can be quiet should be no problem. Some dogs bark, bay and wine for no reason. Be sure to have vet visits current and paperwork with you. In case of longer stay the pet could be boarded for the day. We would leave AC on, park in shade and leave classical music on. Classical music is similar to the human voice.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Nanny cam with two way voice? With the availability of wifi and even cell data these days...You could talk to them and calm them down.

Heck, could probably rig up some sort of noise alert to your phone, for barking.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line........nobody knows or cares if the dog is left unattended as long as he is quiet.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
we stay at state and national parks and national forest campgrounds most of the time, so we rarely have to deal with private rv park rules.
we leave our Lhasa up to 6 or 7 hours on occasion, 4 to 5 hours frequently if we're visiting friends or relatives etc. he perches in the front window and keeps guard and enjoys people watching. he will bark if someone comes close to the MH, but it has to be close enough to touch. We've never had a complaint from anyone about his barking.
that being said, there are parks with rules and the rules must be obeyed...or don't stay there.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have traveled with up to 4 Collies. When I need to leave them alone I run the A/C and a fan. I leave the tv on as well. A long walk before I leave and they sleep while I'm gone. I bought the RV so I could travel with my Collies.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
We have camped for 30+ years with 3 different dogs. Our dogs have never missed a camping trip and we have left them unattended from time to time.

Our current dog will only bark if she hears someone right outside the TT. So, when we leave we leave the A/C on with the fan constantly running and leave the TV on a little on the loud side. The noise from the TV and A/C drowns out noises from outside our TT.

When we are gone she just goes up in the queen bed, sprawls out and goes to sleep.

X2 She does the same thing in the TT that she does when we're at work everyday. Lays on the couch or bed and sleeps. I used to ask the neighbor if she barked but I don't even bother anymore.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
No park is going to issue a blank acceptance of your dog being left unattended in the rig, regardless of it's behavior. If your dog barks and carries on while you are gone, it is going to be a problem everywhere you attempt to stay.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped for 30+ years with 3 different dogs. Our dogs have never missed a camping trip and we have left them unattended from time to time.

Our current dog will only bark if she hears someone right outside the TT. So, when we leave we leave the A/C on with the fan constantly running and leave the TV on a little on the loud side. The noise from the TV and A/C drowns out noises from outside our TT.

When we are gone she just goes up in the queen bed, sprawls out and goes to sleep.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We almost always leave our dogs in the RV when we're out and about.

If a campground's rules say no pets left unattended I always ask for clarification before making a reservation. In all these years only one time have I been told that it absolutely meant that even well behaved (non barky) dogs couldn't be left alone inside their RV. That was some campground on Cape Cod that I've long forgotten the name of. And in that instance I simply thanked the campground person and told her we'd find another campground in the area to give our money to (which we did).
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

dancogan
Explorer
Explorer
We always leave the TV or radio on when our dog is unattended. It masks any sounds that would cause him to bark. And we also sneak back from time to time to make sure there's no barking and/or ask the neighbors if he was a bother.
Dan & Geri

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Leave our pets unattended. But we also use a bark collar on them.
Most the time. We do not even have to turn it on.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Most of those rules are aimed at leaving your pet outside unattended and for pets that bark all the time while left in RV.

Not true. My experience has been an unattended pet means just that-unattended inside or out. If they differentiate between the two it's usually spelled out. If there are any questions just ask. Many people break the rules because they "know" their dogs are quiet. Your best bet is to find as many cg's as you can that allow pets to be left alone or on days you will be gone for a long time find a doggie day care or something of that nature.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
As a former campground owner and an active RV'er

x2 with Old-Biscuit