cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canine Brucellosis - is this scary?

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just read this story - none of the affected dogs are near us; but the article doesn't say why we need to worry about this. I'll wander off and do some reading - like is it something that can be vaccinated against?

Michigan Brucellosis cases
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
10 REPLIES 10

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
There are different strains of this bacteria (Brucella abortus, B suis, B melitensis, and B canis). B canis is the strain most found in dogs; the other strains are found in large animals.

Merck vet Manual: Overview of Brucellosis in Large Animals
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:

Sheep LIE!

Ours don't lie. You need to hang out with a better class of sheep.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
OK - after some quick reading that implies it's a sexually-transmitted disease - I think I don't have to worry, since I'm not breeding my dogs. The articles said it could be spread to humans.... but it sounds like that transmission is via bodily fluids from the breeding dogs.

I'm at a loss for words.......
There are just too many ways to interpret what you wrote. :B

The 'story' about sheep comes to mind.

Baaaaaa :B

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
WyoTraveler wrote:
Many city people just don't hear about it. They don't hunt and they don't breed or sell cows.

Yeah - I was very vaguely aware that brucellosis was "bad" - but couldn't remember why, or what species was involved.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I just read this story - none of the affected dogs are near us; but the article doesn't say why we need to worry about this. I'll wander off and do some reading - like is it something that can be vaccinated against?

Michigan Brucellosis cases

Do you have animals? Have they been tested for Brucellosis?

If you are planning on breeding your dogs they need to be tested or if you bring a new dog into your home.

It is usually sexually transmitted between the dogs, however licking another dog or eating of placenta etc can transfer it. (dogs eat anything)

It is possible to be contracted by humans but rate. It would be transferred possibly by the owner helping in the birth of puppies and being in contact with fluid and organs.

On the farm, cows are tested regularly ...milk

Once an animal has it it usually becomes sterile or aborts the fetus.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Brucellosis has been with us for quite a while all over the U.S. Not surprised it is in dogs. Running rampant in Yellowstone buffalo, deer, antelope, elk herds. When they find cases in cows they start more extensive testing in those states. It basically effects breeding. Many city people just don't hear about it. They don't hunt and they don't breed or sell cows.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Sheep LIE!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have to worry unless you are eating the meat and chewing on a bone or eaing organ meat. I know you don't eat dog meat but it is in all knds of wild game and even cows That is why I don't eat T bone steak any more.This problem is a growing problem all over the country. if you have wild game like deer butchered and commercially wrapped they cut all meat off the bone. Really nothing new.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deb and Ed M wrote:
OK - after some quick reading that implies it's a sexually-transmitted disease - I think I don't have to worry, since I'm not breeding my dogs. The articles said it could be spread to humans.... but it sounds like that transmission is via bodily fluids from the breeding dogs.

I'm at a loss for words.......
There are just too many ways to interpret what you wrote. :B

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs