cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chicago area dog flu

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Dr. Doug, I live in Will county south of Chicago, and my dog never goes to dog parks, but we may travel out of state in a few weeks and I was wondering if I should get the dog flu vaccine before we travel. The dog flu is very prevalent in Chicago and Cook county, but we never go there. Andy just had surgery 10 days ago and is due to get his stitches out Monday. Our vet is in the southwest suburbs and so far no one has shown up with the dog flu in the practice. We wouldn't be traveling until the end of April. Please give me your thoughts on this.
Thanks!

Rita
2 REPLIES 2

LisaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the area. I'm pretty anti-vaccine for these types of things but did have my girl done maybe 2 years ago due to an outbreak which touched my friends in a bad way out East (no deaths but it was very bad).... My girl goes to dog school at least twice a week, various dog events, and yes - we go to the dog park each day (where I'm always super careful about my 'no sharing of water' rule.

I'm bringing her in this week again for it. I don't like it, don't want to do it.... but her lifestyle does put her in a high risk category. I saw zero ill effects from the first vaccination. If she didn't have this lifestyle I wouldn't do it. I'd just be careful/prudent right now. By the way, it's not just in Cook County.

dturm
We've been traveling since December and we did not vaccinate Jill for the canine flu. I don't find fault with the vaccination, but I didn't feel the exposure potential in campgrounds was enough to justify vaccination.

BTW, she did have current distemper, parvo, hepatitis, parainfluenza and rabies.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV