cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog fencing at campsite

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
As we approach our first TT purchase, I am looking at options for my three small dogs at our campsites. Understanding our responsibilities for our pets I know having them on leashes is a common option. Does anyone use fencing outside the trailer as a form of containment?
M. Dollar
37 REPLIES 37

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
The parks we have worked at do not allow dog fencing. One dog owner asked about using the invisible fence at his season site at one of them, and was told "no" by the owner. They want leashes used. As hosts, we would say something if someone was walking their dog with no leash,or letting them roam, but if someone was sitting on their site with their small dog on their lap, or their big dog laying at their feet, we would not say a thing.

I have walked my dogs around campgrounds (on their leashes) only to have those nice dogs snoozing in the campground jump up and come attacking my dogs. Seems the owners didn't see us coming and didn't grab a hold of their dog in time. Even when I am in a place that does not require leashes, my dogs are always on a leash. It's just safer all around and I never have to worry that my dog will catch sight of something/someone and take off on me.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
westernrvparkowner wrote:
It sure would be nice if we lived in a black and white world, but we don't. Most things are shades of gray. Someone sitting outside their RV, with their golden retriever sleeping at their feet is just not someone I am going to hassle over a leash. The nature of the RV Park business is you have to make dozens of judgment calls on a daily basis. Zero tolerance is something preached from a high horse, it doesn't work in the real world.

Of course we live in a grey world, that's why there are usually exceptions to the rules. But when the rule itself is the exception, then it's no longer a rule, it's just something that is pushed on people not liked. I have seen too many places that excuse the dog wandering around the campground "because she's so sweet" - and everyone ignores that those owners aren't controlling the dog, cleaning up after the dog, etc. But someone else's dog reacts to the wandering dog in their site and THAT dog gets labelled as a problem.

You obviously are comfortable with the way you do things. I know I'm not going to change that. But yours is the type of place I don't stay at because the posted rules and reality don't mesh.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The parks we have worked at do not allow dog fencing. One dog owner asked about using the invisible fence at his season site at one of them, and was told "no" by the owner. They want leashes used. As hosts, we would say something if someone was walking their dog with no leash,or letting them roam, but if someone was sitting on their site with their small dog on their lap, or their big dog laying at their feet, we would not say a thing.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
And you are obviously a thoughtful pet owner. However, my Crystal Ball does not have an option to sort the good owners from the bad owners, so we have to have policies that work for us. As I previously stated, we are very flexible when it comes to pets that are outside with their owners on their sites. We don't enforce the leash rules unless it becomes necessary. We don't pretend to be the park for everyone. We have an image that we are comfortable with and our guests have come to expect. Keeping the sites neat and clutter free is part of that image. Fencing does not fit into what we want our park to be and hence it is not allowed. We don't spring it as a surprise. It's on our website, repeated on our confirmations and printed on our check in materials. We understand that it doesn't work for some people and we do everything we can to prevent a problem situation from arising.

This annoys me. If you have a rule - enforce it. If you are going to let people ignore the rule then don't bother having the rule. It is very irritating to be the one following the rules only to see every other person ignoring them. I'd rather stay at a place with strict enforcement of the rules, than stay at a place where the rules are enforced willy nilly.
It sure would be nice if we lived in a black and white world, but we don't. Most things are shades of gray. Someone sitting outside their RV, with their golden retriever sleeping at their feet is just not someone I am going to hassle over a leash. The nature of the RV Park business is you have to make dozens of judgment calls on a daily basis. Zero tolerance is something preached from a high horse, it doesn't work in the real world.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
And you are obviously a thoughtful pet owner. However, my Crystal Ball does not have an option to sort the good owners from the bad owners, so we have to have policies that work for us. As I previously stated, we are very flexible when it comes to pets that are outside with their owners on their sites. We don't enforce the leash rules unless it becomes necessary. We don't pretend to be the park for everyone. We have an image that we are comfortable with and our guests have come to expect. Keeping the sites neat and clutter free is part of that image. Fencing does not fit into what we want our park to be and hence it is not allowed. We don't spring it as a surprise. It's on our website, repeated on our confirmations and printed on our check in materials. We understand that it doesn't work for some people and we do everything we can to prevent a problem situation from arising.

This annoys me. If you have a rule - enforce it. If you are going to let people ignore the rule then don't bother having the rule. It is very irritating to be the one following the rules only to see every other person ignoring them. I'd rather stay at a place with strict enforcement of the rules, than stay at a place where the rules are enforced willy nilly.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 36 in. x-pen for our two little dogs covered with the top half of a beach umbrella for shade, and water is always available. They're only in the x-pen when we're outside to supervise. Our boxer is on a cable tie-out when on our site - again, only when supervised. His tie-out is placed so that he can't reach anything/anyone off our site. Our dogs are always on leash when walked around the campground, and we don't allow them to bark (SO annoying!!).
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Fencing restricts wear & tear foot traffic to a small area, thus exceptional wear to the grass in that area. Fencing requiring stakes is never acceptable, as shallow cabling such as CATV, WIFI, could be, has been damaged, tree roots pierced so much that the posts broke off when removing them.
Containment of pets with fencing is superceded by law requiring leash. Thus, liability shifts to the pet owner.
As park owners review liability,potential exposure, it behooves us to choose restrictive measures, as protective of our facility and our majority of guests.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
We use the X-pens all the time and contrary to our resident Park owners comments, we never leave them unattended outside, we sit out with them to keep them under control. With four small dogs and late night-early morning "doing their business" keeps us from leashing them up and walking about the campground. We simply open the door, stand in the door and keep an eye on them, they do their thing and we clean up everything in the light of day. I don't think I've ever seen someone who uses pen's, leave any pet inside one while the owner's are away. As stated, if the kids are outside, we are outside with them!
And you are obviously a thoughtful pet owner. However, my Crystal Ball does not have an option to sort the good owners from the bad owners, so we have to have policies that work for us. As I previously stated, we are very flexible when it comes to pets that are outside with their owners on their sites.

We don't enforce the leash rules

unless it becomes necessary. We don't pretend to be the park for everyone. We have an image that we are comfortable with and our guests have come to expect. Keeping the sites neat and clutter free is part of that image. Fencing does not fit into what we want our park to be and hence it is not allowed. We don't spring it as a surprise. It's on our website, repeated on our confirmations and printed on our check in materials. We understand that it doesn't work for some people and we do everything we can to prevent a problem situation from arising.

Boy some day you really have to tell us where this CG somewhere in the sky you own is.

You are ok with DOGS RUNNING LOOSE but don't allow an expen under an Rv'ers awning. :S
If that is what you got out of what I posted, then YES, I am fine with it because two things you won't see at my parks are dogs running loose (except in the off leash pet areas) and X-pens on the sites.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
pennysmom09 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
We use the X-pens all the time and contrary to our resident Park owners comments, we never leave them unattended outside, we sit out with them to keep them under control. With four small dogs and late night-early morning "doing their business" keeps us from leashing them up and walking about the campground. We simply open the door, stand in the door and keep an eye on them, they do their thing and we clean up everything in the light of day. I don't think I've ever seen someone who uses pen's, leave any pet inside one while the owner's are away. As stated, if the kids are outside, we are outside with them!
And you are obviously a thoughtful pet owner. However, my Crystal Ball does not have an option to sort the good owners from the bad owners, so we have to have policies that work for us. As I previously stated, we are very flexible when it comes to pets that are outside with their owners on their sites.

unless it becomes necessary. We don't pretend to be the park for everyone. We have an image that we are comfortable with and our guests have come to expect. Keeping the sites neat and clutter free is part of that image. Fencing does not fit into what we want our park to be and hence it is not allowed. We don't spring it as a surprise. It's on our website, repeated on our confirmations and printed on our check in materials. We understand that it doesn't work for some people and we do everything we can to prevent a problem situation from arising.

Boy some day you really have to tell us where this CG somewhere in the sky you own is.

You are ok with DOGS RUNNING LOOSE but don't allow an expen under an Rv'ers awning. :S

We are at a FL cg with a lot of open space and large sites. We play ball and or frisbee in open spaces off leash. Our dog does not run off, nor does she leave our site when we are playing with her. Management does not complain if residents don't, so those of us who can enjoy these areas with our dogs that stay with their owners, do so. Common sense has prevailed and it has eveidentally worked for years. We all use leashes when walking around the cg or using the designated dog areas. Many dog owners cannot ever allow their dogs off leash, but do not begrudge those of us who can. So I understand this owner saying they enforce the leash rules when necessary.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen someone who uses pen's, leave any pet inside one while the owner's are away. As stated, if the kids are outside, we are outside with them!

Most people won't leave the campground with the dogs outside in the pen. But many people do put the dogs outside in the pen and then go back inside to watch TV, nap, eat breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc. And some of those people will ignore, or not hear, the barking of their dogs.

Impkitti
Explorer
Explorer
We use two portable pens linked together for our two small-ish (20 lbs) dogs. It gives them lots of room to move around and be dogs. I have sewn a shelter for them that fits over a section to give them shade and a bit of shelter if it is misty.

Both the dogs and humans like this situation better than leashes in the campsite - no way to get tangled. We do not leave them out if we leave the campsite, but will sometimes leave them out if we need to go inside for some reason. We always respond immediately if one of them barks. Either to handle what ever situation has come up or to hush them if they are misbehaving.

I don't believe little and cute is a reason for a dog to get away with misbehaving.
Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)