cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog fencing at campsite

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
As we approach our first TT purchase, I am looking at options for my three small dogs at our campsites. Understanding our responsibilities for our pets I know having them on leashes is a common option. Does anyone use fencing outside the trailer as a form of containment?
M. Dollar
37 REPLIES 37

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
TugCE wrote:
....If I never hear

"it's okay, my dogs love other dogs"

while I am trying to keep three or more dogs separate, I will be a happy Camper.

X10!

OMG when I started RV'ing I thought if I heard THAT comment one more time I was going to take a life.

And:

I pull in a CG, set up and I just cringe when I inevitably see another camper heading straight over with their dogs in tow saying
"Hi, my dogs would love to play with your dogs".:S

I RV with my dogs.
My dogs are NOT there to be a play date with your dogs!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the feedback. It gives me allot to consider. Really good!
M. Dollar

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II

Test for image

I'm trying lol
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Call me a dummy, but I'd post a picture of our set up as we speak if I knew how to do it here. We've received so many compliments mainly because we are at the entrance to the CG and everyone notices it.

See 1492's first post ("Easy Photo Uploading & Posting Web APP") in the RV.Net Tutorials and Picture related FAQ's thread.

Using this link (his post) all one has to do to post a picture is to drag it onto the browser window, copy a link and paste it into the forum post.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
check your local and state laws....here in NY your pens are NOT compliant with leash laws. We have seen small dogs go under pens. As for the wireless fence...no way. We personally saw a lab go through one at camp and attack another dog being walked and caused injuries to the owner. Here at home we do have a wireless and one of my Goldens would run through chasing rabbits. You take your dog keep it leashed and quiet please.

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
I always laugh when I heard the 'Pens cause wear and tear to the grass" excuse but these same parks have no problem allowing people to put down mats that run the length of the awning (or more).

I for one always keep my girls on the leash as it allows me to keep them under control at all times. I can not count the number of times that I have been walking them (on their leashes) only to have another dog come running up. If my little one yips my big girl get very upset and has let her feeling known.

If I never hear "it's okay, my dogs love other dogs" while I am trying to keep three or more dogs separate, I will be a happy Camper.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call me a dummy, but I'd post a picture of our set up as we speak if I knew how to do it here. We've received so many compliments mainly because we are at the entrance to the CG and everyone notices it.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the expen camp - I find it easier to control the dogs when necessary, and they are more relaxed. We have 4 sets which make a large area for us all to move around in - it is like a small backyard, but unlike many we do NOT allow any peeing or pooping in our "living room".

I like to keep our site tidy, with stuff picked up and put away at all times - our site, with its fence, is usually better looking than many of the sites around us ๐Ÿ˜‰

I do understand that some parks have had a bad experience and we will tie up if necessary.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
keepmotoring wrote:
If allowed we also use 2 exercise pens clipped together for our two small dogs, one 7lbs and one 12lbs. If not allowed we don't and keep them on our site with harness and leash on. It is that simple. Is it easier with the xpens - yes. Why? Because at night it is easier to hold a flashlight and pooper scooper without also holding a leash. When I am also holding a leash, I have to place the flashlight on the ground where the poop is, take the dog in the mh and then come back to pick up the poop. Not that that is a big deal, just a step that doesn't happen when an xpen is allowed.

Agreed!!!!!! X2
96 Vogue Prima Vista

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
If allowed we also use 2 exercise pens clipped together for our two small dogs, one 7lbs and one 12lbs. If not allowed we don't and keep them on our site with harness and leash on. It is that simple. Is it easier with the xpens - yes. Why? Because at night it is easier to hold a flashlight and pooper scooper without also holding a leash. When I am also holding a leash, I have to place the flashlight on the ground where the poop is, take the dog in the mh and then come back to pick up the poop. Not that that is a big deal, just a step that doesn't happen when an xpen is allowed.
LUVRVN

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I have walked my dogs around campgrounds (on their leashes)

only to have those nice dogs snoozing in the campground jump up and come attacking my dogs.

Seems the owners didn't see us coming and didn't grab a hold of their dog in time. Even when I am in a place that does not require leashes, my dogs are always on a leash. It's just safer all around and I never have to worry that my dog will catch sight of something/someone and take off on me.

X10

NO owner can 100% know that their dog: won't leave their site, stop when given the command (and usually these types of owners dogs have never been properly taught any commands let alone react to one).

The most dangerous dog situation in a CG?
The 'owner' that states "my dog won't leave my CG site and always listens to me".:R

The house dog with no training will bolt whenever the moment seizes them. And any owner that believes different? Well those are the ones that will have their dog be involved in a dog fight or even worse a dog bite situation. Henceforth why the no dogs off leash in a CG is IMHO imperative for everyone's safety.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
westernrvparkowner wrote:
We require pets to be on a leash when they are not in the RV. Do we look the other way when people are sitting outside with them? Yes. Do we allow fencing? No. Reasons: We are an RV park not a kenneling facility. If we wanted our sites to be fenced, we would fence them. A pet confined by a fence is not under anyone's control. They will evacuate their bowels and there will not be anyone there to clean it up. If a child wanders up to the dog, there is no one to assure their safety. And finally, I haven't seen too many portable fences that actually will confine a pet intent on going elsewhere. It is a false sense of security.

WRVPO you are still the man! There was a recent post concerning an off leash dog on a beach. I suggested if the owner was present and had the dog was under control then there was no harm no foul and the rule could be overlooked.
I'm glad we can agree on this issue. Many mmembers were in the no rule can ever be ignored camp.
Where we agree is that common sense must be factored in. No tolerance is fools gold.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lets see, I'm in a 800 site RV Park right now(Emerald Cove), there are more dogs than you can shake a stick at, many are multiple dog owners. I walk the CG daily and see plenty of X-pens, including my own and Yes some dogs are in the pen's unsupervised (owners in RV) but I've yet to experience any barking or aggressive behavior. I suggest, dog's in X-pens are more under control than leashed dogs but that's just my opinion. Most X-pens can be set up without using stakes in the ground although I can attest that stakes in the ground help but there certainly not driven in to any depth.....mine are maybe 3"!

Now, an RV Park owner certainly can make there call on this but just as an example, Jackson Rancheria, a noted northern Calif park that's highly rated and whom maintain an excellent appearance/landscaped sites, has no problem with X-pens and it does not distract from the Beauty of the Park. Quite frankly, they didn't mind it you set them up on the beautiful grass even though I set ours up on the concrete(when finished at the site, we always wash the complete area and disinfect).
(I believe they rate that Park 10/10/10...just sayin!).

To each their own and once again, an RV owner can chose what's best for them, I just disagree with your rational. Oh well, we'll both get over it...:-).
96 Vogue Prima Vista

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
We require pets to be on a leash when they are not in the RV. Do we look the other way when people are sitting outside with them? Yes. Do we allow fencing? No. Reasons: We are an RV park not a kenneling facility. If we wanted our sites to be fenced, we would fence them. A pet confined by a fence is not under anyone's control. They will evacuate their bowels and there will not be anyone there to clean it up. If a child wanders up to the dog, there is no one to assure their safety. And finally, I haven't seen too many portable fences that actually will confine a pet intent on going elsewhere. It is a false sense of security.

We travel out west most summer. We spent more than a month in Montana 2 of the last 3 years and will be out there again this summer. We certainly respect your right to have whatever rules that work for you and except for one thing, we could stay at your park without using our X-pens But you lose credibility with your belief that a dog off leash with their owner is more under control than a dog in X-pen and their owner sitting there. I know, you describe the golden retriever sleeping at its owner's feet, as if that is all golden retrievers will do. Let a squirrel or some other small animal go running by and see how quickly that golden retriever can move. It is that loss of credibility that causes me not to want to stay in your park.

We use X-pens with our dogs, mainly for letting them dry after swimming; but sometimes just because we wan them out with us, when we are sitting out.

Oh, do you really believe that those who use X-pens don't pick up after our dogs if they defecate in the X-pen? I assure you that those owners are much more likely to pick up after their dogs than the people walking around your campground with their dogs on leash.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)