cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog urinating and defecating on your site while owners watch

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
The other evening while I was sitting outside of my rv and about ten feet from the 4x4 post that has numbers indicating site numbers, a woman walking two dogs casually slowed down so that one of the dogs could urinate against the 4x4 post. I was dumfounded at the gall of that person but didn't say anything because she was quickly down the road.

Tonight, I was inside my rv when a woman stopped and let her dog **** on the gravel of my site. She then dutifully took her plastic bag and picked up the stuff like everything was okay!

Just curious about what you guys think about people that do this? Last time I had a dog, I thought his stuff stunk really bad. Maybe the owners think their own stuff doesn't?
131 REPLIES 131

dturm
Time to close.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like this thread is going to the dogs (pun intended). :B
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
So, show me where I said it was OK for people to let there dogs poop in other peoples sites, show me where I have "mocked" sanitary practices, please show me. Please!
I have made no personal attacks until you decided to jump on me, and I wonder where that is coming from, especially after some of the other comments in this thread.
A dog pooped in Ernie's site, the owner did their best to pick it up, now you want everyone to believe the sky is falling. Your going to worry yourself to death before the dog poop gets to you.
You can have the last word, and thanks to the Block feature I won't see it.

Riley & Kobe the little desease spreaders. :B

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
As far as I know my dogs have no deseases, no worms, etc. They have annual check ups. When my dogs poop I pick it up, that's the best I can do, or I am going to do. If that's not sanitary enough for you, tough. Sorry about your MIL but really your going to blame that on dogs.

--------------------------------------------------
Vets only check for a limited number of parasites, vaccinate for a limited number of diseases. There is no way of knowing what else the dog may be carrying. It is up to each individual to determine how much exposure to their own or other people's dogs wastes they want to tolerate. The OP and I and others simply are asking that people dont allow their dogs to do their dumps on others people's sites.

I dont know where you got the idea that I thought my MIL infection was caused by a dog, she doesnt have a dog. Her physician says there is a higher rate of infection in the elderly that live in retirement communities like hers. And it is a combination of factors but primarily poor hygiene.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:
Not all his facts are Scientifically correct
I have seen a lot more campers and their kids doing unsanitary things
most dogs are treated for worms, along with other things
Some people have irrational fears of many things
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a scientist, a microbiologist who took a lot of courses at vet school before transferring to medical microbiology for my degree. While I agree there are a lot of things to worry about, like war, it doesnt excuse us from not paying attention to our health. Having spent a good chunk of my life studying microbial diseases, bacteriology, parasitology, virology, immunology, I have a lot of respect for what scientists have learned and have to teach us. And the greatest leap forward in dealing with human disease and increasing the life expectancy of humanity from 30 to 78 years old is sanitation. In the third world countries this is not true due to a lack of sanitation and ignorance. True, it is the death of the young drags down life expectancy averages, but those most susceptible are at both ends of the age spectrum. And I am now, like many of you, at that other end of the age spectrum. So I increasingly take extra care to stay healthy. But I choose to have dogs, birds and fish as pets so I do keep up with diseases that can be transmitted by them. ernie1 didnt give you a complete list of the zoonotic diseases of dogs that can be transmitted to humans, here.

The list is not static.

Perhaps you have heard of the virulent, toxic strain of E. coli an emerging disease? Dogs can be carriers.
This past month my MIL has been hospitalized with C. difficile the bacteria that is increasing in virulence and has been found to colonize dogs intestines (citation.

And the simplest and most effective method of avoiding infection is sanitation. So please dont mock those who are concerned about sanitary practices. Those who have many fears will not be found at CG.

As far as I know my dogs have no deseases, no worms, etc. They have annual check ups. When my dogs poop I pick it up, that's the best I can do, or I am going to do. If that's not sanitary enough for you, tough. Sorry about your MIL but really your going to blame that on dogs.
Oh, and I never mocked sanitary practices.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Not all his facts are Scientifically correct
I have seen a lot more campers and their kids doing unsanitary things
most dogs are treated for worms, along with other things
Some people have irrational fears of many things
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a scientist, a microbiologist who took a lot of courses at vet school before transferring to medical microbiology for my degree. While I agree there are a lot of things to worry about, like war, it doesnt excuse us from not paying attention to our health. Having spent a good chunk of my life studying microbial diseases, bacteriology, parasitology, virology, immunology, I have a lot of respect for what scientists have learned and have to teach us. And the greatest leap forward in dealing with human disease and increasing the life expectancy of humanity from 30 to 78 years old is sanitation. In the third world countries this is not true due to a lack of sanitation and ignorance. True, it is the death of the young drags down life expectancy averages, but those most susceptible are at both ends of the age spectrum. And I am now, like many of you, at that other end of the age spectrum. So I increasingly take extra care to stay healthy. But I choose to have dogs, birds and fish as pets so I do keep up with diseases that can be transmitted by them. ernie1 didnt give you a complete list of the zoonotic diseases of dogs that can be transmitted to humans, here.

The list is not static.

Perhaps you have heard of the virulent, toxic strain of E. coli an emerging disease? Dogs can be carriers.
This past month my MIL has been hospitalized with C. difficile the bacteria that is increasing in virulence and has been found to colonize dogs intestines (citation.

And the simplest and most effective method of avoiding infection is sanitation. So please dont mock those who are concerned about sanitary practices. Those who have many fears will not be found at CG.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:
Sailordive wrote:
At Slough Crek in Yellowstone, I was walking the dog, which I pick up after, one morning I saw a pronghorn, the next a bison and the third a black bear. No one picked up after them as they walked through my campsite.

If I follow that line of reasoning, I should be able to take a dump on your campsite!

TBH, I pee and poo in animals' campsites all the time, but not in other humans' yards.

And I do kind of think that dogs are honorary humans in this regard. I ask if they mind if I pee in their territory, and I expect the same consideration.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Sailordive wrote:
At Slough Crek in Yellowstone, I was walking the dog, which I pick up after, one morning I saw a pronghorn, the next a bison and the third a black bear. No one picked up after them as they walked through my campsite.

If I follow that line of reasoning, I should be able to take a dump on your campsite!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:
So farmers are probably not going to be bothered by dog dung while city folk just go ballistic by the sight or smell of it on the cityscape...
So back to the CG where we have a mix of people from farm/country, the city and everything in between converge with different tolerances, preferences, expectations and experiences.

Interesting theory, but I don't think it holds water.

I grew up on a remote farm, and I still farm a little bit now. That's how I know that the poo of humans, dogs, cats, and pigs is far, far more stinky than that of birds and grazing animals.

Personally, I like the smell of chicken poo. It smells like home :B.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
How long until we catch up to the Wal-Mart thread?
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Had a dog knock my beer over and drink it one time. Now that's a travesty!

~gasps~ your right..that would have been tramatic.. may even require therapy.. LOL

to funny.. ๐Ÿ˜‰
RooCamper...
Retired and loving every minute of it !!

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Had a dog knock my beer over and drink it one time. Now that's a travesty!
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
While this thread has been entertaining..... you gotta admit, if dog poop is the biggest problem you have in life... you're pretty dog-gone lucky. Considering all the people with life threatening illnesses, military ppl coming home with arms and legs blown off, etc, etc.... In the grand scheme of things, I prefer to count my blessings.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder