Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dogs in national park campgrounds

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Dear All,

I have not been active in the forums for some years, but a recent experience brings me back to the pet forum. We just finished a 2 week trip through some Arizona, Colorado and Utah national parks we have not yet visited. In particular we camped in Fruita CG in Capitol Reef NP. Truly wonderful - BUT, they have a no dog left alone rule. We have been camping in RV's for 15 years all the time with our dogs, and not only has this not been a problem; it has truly never occurred to me. In fact 3 months ago we camped in Watchman for a week with no problems.

This trip we happened to have our daughter with us, so one of the 3 of us could take turns not hiking and staying with the dogs. Most of the time now, my wife and I are alone - we simply could not have done anything like hiking or taking our Jeep into the back country.

Have the rules changed, or are they only now being enforced. I would hate to think that we can only stay in commercial campgrounds when we go to national parks, which are our main destinations. Have any of the other RVers who frequent NP's had a problem recently?

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View
38 REPLIES 38

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
The rules in NP are often just ignored until someone complains.

We were Boon docking in national forest and this white van, which looked like a work van comes in pulling a Casita. Dang I think a construction worker who will be up and leaving at 5am and waking us up. Nope older woman pulls in and opens her door, 2 dogs come bounding out yapping. Runs all over our camp yapping. She thinks it's cute and they're making friends. This yapping inside and out as well as running off leash went on all day and in spite of the leash law in the park.

Early next am I'm out in my camo with my trusty Nikon and just about to get a real nice photo of an Elk and here comes the woman with her yapping dogs off leash. Off goes the elk. She was a real menace with those dogs. Had to complain to the Ranger, who said he got lots of complaints. Yet he didn't inform her of the rules and said she was leaving soon. We had to put up with her nonsense all morning and she still thought it was cute. The funny part was that she was all ticked off at another camper who she thought was making too much noise.

Moab Utah, 2am dog next door has been barking for 4 hours and I had enough. Turns out it was in a crate in their jeep outside. I knock on there door. No asking what the problem was, the woman states, "oh is he still barking?"

We love dogs and often walk out friends dogs while camping, but irresponsible dog owners out number responsible owners. We run into MANY situations with annoying dogs and if you say anything to the owners you'll be attacked, after all that is their baby and it does not wrong.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps, this is why I have not paid attention to these forums.

But if you learn something, even if it's not what you want to hear, it's worth it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Hey Steve,

Don't sweat the small stuff. Hopefully, RV.NET and it's drama kings and queens are but a minor part of your camping experience.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised because I have known many people who travelled with their dogs over the past couple of decades and who safely and kindly left them and did not watch them 24/7. The level of angst surprised me. The distress over miserable dogs and miserable people seemed completely out of whack with many years of camping experience. To those who have been damaged by barking dogs - all dog owners apologize. To the dogs who have been hurt, I weep for them. Perhaps, this is why I have not paid attention to these forums.
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh, thank you DogFolks! 🙂

I guess I never realized what hell dog ownership and the dogs went through. In all our years, our dogs have been quiet happy and content. Guess we have deluded ourselves, and I started something I did not expect.

Please explain. I'm puzzled that you asked for advice/comments but somehow are surprised at the results. Opinions vary. I'm a dog lover but also a realist. You have to expect not everyone is going to agree with you. My dogs don't travel with us at the moment because we don't have a camper of any sort. I can assure you that whether or not we take them is secondary to their day-to-day treatment.

I love dogs. Have had some great dogs, sweet as sugar. I loved every one of them too much to take camping, and lock up in a RV. That's just mean.

A bit harsh, but I get your drift. Ours do get locked up at home-all of us work and on weekends we have to balance our own sanity with theirs. But with differing schedules they get ample time outside. That's not always going to be the case when we travel as for us the campground is a place to sleep, not a destination.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I never realized what hell dog ownership and the dogs went through. In all our years, our dogs have been quiet happy and content. Guess we have deluded ourselves, and I started something I did not expect.
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
We thought you may almost be normal

AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!! I'm SLIPPING!!!!!!!!!! Call me ANYTHING but NORMAL!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :B

It's O.K. Take your meds now.

Lay down for a short nap. Deep breathes.

Chant "It's O.K.-It's O.K. RV.NET loves me."

Easy now, everything will be O.K. We promise.:)
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was at Buck Hill in the NC mountains. People beside of us went to town, and there was Fido sitting on their inside table barking his fool head off. Did not stop until they got back. Camp host was looking for them.

At Lakewood in Myrtle Beach. People beside of us had a sweet quiet dog. UNTIL they left. Then "Coco" barked his fool head off, and they stayed gone for 10 hours. And THEN on the second day. These "Dog Lovers" did it again, 4th of July. Fireworks every where. Poor dog scared nearly to death. Barked and cried, and repaid them for what they did to him. He destroyed the inside of their new first trip camper. When they opened the door to go in, No screen left on the door, beds were ripped apart, and curtain pulled down. And they DESERVED it and more. Does Coco bark? Yep, and a lot more.

I love dogs. Have had some great dogs, sweet as sugar. I loved every one of them too much to take camping, and lock up in a RV. That's just mean.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We thought you may almost be normal

AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!! I'm SLIPPING!!!!!!!!!! Call me ANYTHING but NORMAL!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :B

Douglas Adams

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Mr./Ms. Crowe, this is a very well reasoned, concisely presented, logical response. Exactly the kind of thing we don't need on these forums.

LOL! It's actually Mrs. but you call me Lori! Sorry, I'll try to be more radical and emotional next time! :B

Well you did scare us Lori.

We thought you may almost be normal:B
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Mr./Ms. Crowe, this is a very well reasoned, concisely presented, logical response. Exactly the kind of thing we don't need on these forums.

LOL! It's actually Mrs. but you call me Lori! Sorry, I'll try to be more radical and emotional next time! :B

Douglas Adams

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Yep its a problem for us dog owners who want to leave the dog home while you are out for several hours. I solved that issue by getting a barkless dog, Basenji. He was fine with hanging in the coach for up to 5 hours (never left him longer than that) because he got 5-6 30 minute walks each day. My current neighbor has two dogs that bark all day long, owners are always gone 6-8 hours.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

dturm
How I wish I could agree with you on this one! Not all campgrounds enforce and it's not just barking. An unattended dog outside presents a potential safety hazard not only to others but to himself.

Totally agree with you on the attended outside - I didn't do a good job expressing myself 🙂

It just being left inside an RV unattended part. If the barking is the problem, there is a rule for that. The fact that the rule is not enforced is irrelevant, if they don't enforce rules: specifically the no barking, they won't enforce the no dog left unattended (most of the time they won't even know).
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
that means you either do not travel with your dogs or you drive presumably long distances to national parks then sit in a campground. My family are fairly active outdoors people, and this would simply not be worth the effort to us. In addition, I wonder - for those who rv with dogs, do you never get in a toad to tow vehicle and go out to dinner?

I visit Acadia on a regular basis. When we had the Endura, the dogs went with us because the Bar Harbor KOA doesn't (or at least didn't) have any such rules. We didn't stay in the park because we wanted full amenities. We did have a toad and took them as often as possible but there are times when it's just not feasible. We, too, are very outdoorsy and the boys would go to the "doggie hotel" as it was one less stress to deal with. Fortunately we have a top-notch kennel facility that we've boarded at for years. I understand the desire to take pets on vacation but everyone has to be realistic that this may require some concessions.

I don't camp in National Parks-most are just too far for me to drive to. However I still feel that "no unattended dogs" means just that. But a quick phone call will clear up any question. My hunch is that rules are phrased in such a manner so that some will just not take their dog or go elsewhere.

The no dogs left unattended (even inside an RV) rule is redundant and unnecessary in my opinion. Every campground has a no barking rule and if an animal is guilty the owners can be asked to leave.

How I wish I could agree with you on this one! Not all campgrounds enforce and it's not just barking. An unattended dog outside presents a potential safety hazard not only to others but to himself.

Before I continue, please remember that I, too, am a dog lover. However, I'm starting to see the trend that the "rights" of dog owners should supersede the "rights" of the non-dog owning public. You can march down to the next campground that has better rules but I can guarantee you that there is someone else doing the exact thing-in the opposite direction. Due to health reasons I couldn't camp where fires were allowed for a while, so we camped where they weren't allowed. I witnessed people leaving because they couldn't have one. You can stomp your feet, complain and go elsewhere, but I'm not sure it's having the impact you might think. And it only takes one that thinks the rules don't apply to them (and I've seen it MANY times on this forum) to ruin it for everyone else.