cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furminator

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
I hope some of you'all are online. Because Petsmart will be open in an hour, and Pops was thinking of purchasing a Furminator to use on me.

However, before I give or tell Pops where I hid the keys to our Jeep. I wanted to ask your opinions, as well as most importantly how safe or dangerous is it.

I mean does Pops need certain skill set to operate it properly, e.g. 20/20 vision, good eye hand coordination, make sure he didn't drink coffee before hand, you know stuff like that.

Thanks,

Calvin
22 REPLIES 22

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
The Furminator is the ONLY brush/comb (and I've tried them all) that actually makes Jack the Cattle Dog shine. He sheds copious amounts of hair every day - and worse in the spring and fall - so it's not unusual for me to Furminate him daily. DO NOT Furminate in an RV Park unless you want irate neighbors.... but on the good side, I've seen birds' nest that have fallen from our pine tree, and they're carefully lines with nice soft dog fur.....

I tried using it on Ike, my late Aussie - and it didn't reach down and pull out the dead fur on his long, silky coat. I had better luck with a long-toothed comb on him. And it doesn't do squat on the poodle-mixes... but they don't shed.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dogs like the Zoom Groom because they both have long hair. Short haired dogs can sometimes use a furminator. Best thing is to try them both out to see what works for you, Calvin.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

upstech76
Explorer
Explorer
We use one on our German Shepherd and she doesn't mind it at all. Best thing ever for removing the hair. Its definitely something you want to do outdoors because when your done you will be surprised by how much hair will be on the ground.
2013 Forest River Puma 28'

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Altern wrote:
1995brave wrote:
Calvin,
Tell pops to save his money. My dad and sister got one for me, it didn't work that good. They then got a hair brush, it works a lot better.
X2. Furminators are gimmicks that may or not work well for your dog. Try one first.

At $52.00 plus bucks a shot. I don't think I'll be trying one first! ... :B

Pops

I just thought of something. Has anyone done a poodle close cut hair cut to a Lab / Mix? OK, OK, he's a mut. Has anyone done it to a mut?

That would mean no shedding period. Well, untill his fur grows back of course. ... :B

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
Calvin,
Tell pops to save his money. My dad and sister got one for me, it didn't work that good. They then got a hair brush, it works a lot better.
X2. Furminators are gimmicks that may or not work well for your dog. Try one first.

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
Pops, try the Zoom Groom the next time you give Calvin a bath. It works great as a shampoo brush.

I was thinking about giving the boy a bath this week. I'll remember to take the Zoom Groom with us when visit Petco for his bath.

Thanks,

Pops

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Pops, try the Zoom Groom the next time you give Calvin a bath. It works great as a shampoo brush.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
OK everyone thanks for taking the time to answer Calvin's questions. However, for Calvin's snark remark about Pops' "not being the sharpest knife in the drawer". Well ... he ain't getting any Jumbones or Dentastix for a week, may be even a month!

Anyways, we just got back from our Petsmart, then his run in the desert thing. So I figured I'd give you'all an update.

Man that Furmanator is a wicked mean looking tool. I did take the time to ask a few questions over in Petsmart's grooming salon. The groomer was real nice, answered my questions, gave me instructions and warning when using it. Shen then showed me how it worked on the dog she was grooming (about Calvin's size, etc.).

After she saw / read my body language that I wasn't really sure about it. She told me about, as well as showing me how to use the Kong Zoom Groom rubber brush looking thing which she uses on her dogs.

So Pops opted to for go the Furmanator, and bought the Zoom Groom and a new back up Kong Ball for Calvin.

And Daisy, I heard that. Calvin's still ain't getting no stink'in Jumbone's or Dentastix's!

Thanks again!

Pops

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Works great on long haired dogs. On short haired dogs you have to be very careful not to cut or scratch the skin. Dad only uses mine every month or so because I shed a lot but, I am not real fond of it.

Daisy
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I actually care what my dogs look like, too. I do not use the Furminator every day- I use it to get the loose undercoat off the dog, a few times a year. Sunny is a silver/fawn mastiff and her coat is shiny and beautiful, no frizz. As I said before, it is NOT for short coated breeds as can hurt their skin.

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
OH, oh, Bliss, I was wrong! ... ๐Ÿ˜ž ... I didn't hide it as good as I thought I did cause Pops found dah keys to the Jeep.

He's calling, so I guess, ....... I'll see yah guys in a few! ... :(:(:(

Thanks, but can you'all send me some positive thoughts, may be even a small prayer if it's OK with you? Oh an remind Pops, even if he can't see it, that I got skin under my fur?

Calvin

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Furmator or furmator type brushes comb the loose dead hair out. They work well on long hair pets. I found an off brand for about a third the price of furmator that I actually like better. Owners just need to remember there is skin under that fur so be careful

Sounds good, but now you got me worried. I don't think Pops knows there's skin under my fur. What I mean is, if he don't, or can't see stuff, to him, it's not there.

Calvin

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Furmator or furmator type brushes comb the loose dead hair out. They work well on long hair pets. I found an off brand for about a third the price of furmator that I actually like better. Owners just need to remember there is skin under that fur so be careful

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
The Furminators are the best. Have been using one on our Lab mix for about 7 years. Be prepared for TONS of hair. It removes the dead hair and thins out the undercoat. Best product I have found, but... What a mess. Make sure your dog is clean before you use it. And no, it doesn't hurt her. She has advancing arthritis, and she loves it. You do not need to use a lot of pressure.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us