cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's that time of year!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I stepped out of the back door this morning on my way to work and heard the sound of a lamb calling to its mom. My wife texted me saying the ewe had not delivered her second lamb yet; so the cries I heard were from a new born.

We bred about 60 ewes.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
135 REPLIES 135

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Another set of twins were just born.

Our lambs are later this year because we put the rams in with the ewes a little later last fall (5 months gestation).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTeysl1NNFE&feature=youtu.be compared to ? many this year on Feb. 28. *

*Have things on the go so might not be able to get on to post your last year's video, Mark, but it looks like this year is slower than last year..................hmmmmm, phase of the moon?

Love lambs.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Another set of twins but still no luck with the little triplet
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Twins and one more in labor. The little triplet will not suckle.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
My wife tried getting the little one to nurse off mom with no success so she fed it again. Sometimes the smaller lambs are slow to figure out how to nurse off mom; the trick is to keep them alive long enough for them to figure it out and to help them figure it out before mom decides to reject the lamb. If a lamb does not small like the mothers milk the ewe will not allow the lamb to nurse off her. There is a short window just after birth when the lambs don't smell like the ewe's milk. During this time you can get a ewe to adopt another ewe's lamb. After that time is over there is very little chance a ewe will let another ewe's lamb nurse (taking her lambs' milk).
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome photo!
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Happy birthday to EWE!:B
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Despite the 5 inches of snow we acquired this morning, it's lambing time and my horse is shedding her winter coat like crazy. Spring IS coming - somewhere - sometime. I only wish it was here now. Thanks for posting the photos, Mark. They are beautiful.

Rita

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Lambs = Spring!!!! Keep them coming ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
So much fun to be able to read and enjoy. Signs of spring coming too!
Thank you for continuing to share!
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the pictures.

There is something about new life, that inspires hope.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

BCSnob I must say I always enjoy reading your articles and looking at your pictures. More years ago than I care to remember :B, my uncle had a very beautiful farm and raised sheep. It brings back many fond memories. He lived a very full life and was very active and ran his farm till he had a stroke at the age of 70 and was gone within 48 hours of his stroke. He was as active and a hard worker at 70 as he was as a much younger man. Thank You for bringing back the memories.

Doug

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We have a set of triplets. #2 had to be pulled. All are doing well.

Update: one of the triplets is small and is not strong enough or coordinated enough to nurse off mom yet. My wife is setting up a heat lamp to help this small lamb.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Please provide updates like you did last year. It was great reading.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006