cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mikko is having a rough time ( God speed Mikko)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mikko a Collie I adopted at 3.5 who will be 14 on 3-25-19. He has been having issues with his back legs for about two years. So far I been able to keep him mobile with medication. Today he can barely walk. I don't know if my younger Collie Cooper injured him or just natural progression. I will take him to the vet tomorrow to see if anything else can be done and give him a few days to see if it gets any better. On top of that I have to go in Thursday for a consultantion for gallbladder surgery.

I know the day is coming rapidly when I have to make the decision and it sucks.
33 REPLIES 33

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So sorry Dan. I had to let my girlie go 2 weeks ago. Just picked up her ashes so she is back home with us now. I always second guess and think I could have done more, but my girlie was both blind and deaf and had not enjoyed life for at least six months.

We love them so much and it hurts so bad to let them go.

Prayers for you and Mikko.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences. It's one of the hardest decisions we face in life. You showed your true love for Mikko by ensuring there was no more suffering.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
๐Ÿ˜ž

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loosing Mikko.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
There just are no words, other than an acknowledgement of the giant, dog-sized hole in the heart that they leave behind. Sending cyber-hugs your way
Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
So very sorry, Dan. Sending hugs and prayers to you and your collie family.

Rita

dturm
So sorry, Dan.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
God speed Mikko, your loyalty was unsurpassed.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I know that "is it time yet?" feeling all too well (and those stoic dogs make it even harder). So sorry you are walking this tightrope ((((HUG))))
I will have the talk today at 3:00 with my vet. I know this has been coming for two years, doesn't make it any easier. My main concern is quality of life for Mikko. The last thing I want to put him through is pain and suffering for my benefit.
I will let people know after my vet visit at 3:00 today if I can see the keyboard.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
So sorry you and Mikko are going through this.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that "is it time yet?" feeling all too well (and those stoic dogs make it even harder). So sorry you are walking this tightrope ((((HUG))))
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully the vet can give him some relief, I also hope your gal bladder op comes out fine.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 14 1/2 year old Weim with he same weakness. She is on metacam and CBD oil. She also gets acupuncture about once a month.

It is very hard seeing them get old. Good luck.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the kind wishes, I've been feeling kind of low. I'll keep everyone informed what the vet says. This has been a on going issue for some time. The trouble is I don't know how much pain he is in, he is so stoic. I don't want to keep him around for selfish reasons nor do I want to end his life any sooner then needed.

ReneeG- My master bedroom is down stairs in the basement. I moved upstairs to a spare bedroom about 4 years ago for Lassie who had hip problems as well. After Lassie passed Mikko was having issues so I stayed upstairs. Cooper who I got after Lassie had passed has never been downstairs in the two years I've had him.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best wishes at the vet tomorrow.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad