Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Food Recall

rangerette
Explorer
Explorer
yahoo news link - pet food recall

There is incomplete information at this time, but thought it good to post this as soon as possible.
Jackie
245 REPLIES 245

JTMO
Explorer
Explorer
Just buried Luna out back on the hill, overlooking SF bay and the sunrise. DD went with me to the Humane society, they wrapped her in towels. I opened them to check, gave her a pet, DD turned around and gave her a pet too. Then buried her snuggled in the nice towels.
I wish criminal charges could be filed on this food thing, but it's China. Hopefully they will never buy from there again.
Camping will be different without her. I still think there was a dog bias on the contest at Monster Mash Rally...
Cedar Creek 27LRLS 7359 dry with extensive options/7700+ loaded.
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy, Barker Electric jack. Coachnet ERS
Rallies=14
My travel albums

dturm
We don't know about amount and timing of signs. It stands to reason the more of the affected foods eaten, the more severe the signs and the smaller the animal the less of the affected food required to cause problems. We've had equal numbers of cats and dogs (3 of each - suspects). VIN - the veterinary board I belong to is gathering information from their members and trying to collate information that could be helpful in diagnosing and treating this.
They are gathering info about how much was eaten, when and then lab test results and autopsy findings when the pet dies.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Doug, does it seem that just one meal of the recalled food can put a cat or dog in the hospital or is it cumulative? Have you had more incidents involving cats than dogs?
Judy
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

dturm
So sorry Vern. We all know the feelings we get with the loss, but right now you get the added uncertainty about the food. We run into the same problem when we get cases of kidney failure now. We've have 4-6 cases since early February that were or could have been food related. We've just about as positive as can be that two were (I actually have in my possession a can of recalled food). The other 4 are suspicious enough that I believe they are.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
Our cat Sassy passed away 1 week ago yesterday. She was 17.5 years old and had been diagnosed with failing kidneys several years ago. This is common for older cats. She had been fed brands of cat food that were recalled. I have no way of knowing if they were the recalled dates as the packaging had been thrown out in the garbage. Since the recall announcement we did not feed her any of the recalled brands.

I of coarse do not know if the death was food related, but it could have been. I filed a comment on the FDA site today. It may not help but as Americans it is our duty to support the FDA people. I told them that they need to fight hard on this as today it is pet food and tomorrow it could be our food! Remember they are people just like us and probably have pets also.

Sassy always went camping with us and she will be missed!
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Did anybody else see the report on Anderson Cooper's show on CNN? They said that some poisoned pets had been saved by their vet, sent home to grateful owners just to be fed more of the food that was the culprit in the first place. OMG, how ironic! This was before the recall, of course. I'm so glad Luna is still among us, and hope she will be one of the lucky ones.
Darcy the Min Pin

JTMO
Explorer
Explorer
She's still here, she may just prove the vet wrong yet, and beat this food poisoning yet....
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Rallies=14
My travel albums

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear about Luna. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family from Capo. Beach.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Spike88
Explorer
Explorer
My heart goes out to you and your family. God Bless little Luna may she pass away peacefully. Hugs from Nova Scotia
Margie
Margie

UPS~44

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
JTMO wrote:
Thanks Kathie, she's hanging in there. I think she's afraid to let go and let her brother get all the fresh chicken and tuna. Meanwhile, she's staring out the window, happy.

This is so sad, but better than letting her die in a metal cage in a vet's office. I've read that cats hypnotize themselves when they are in pain and I hope that's true. I wish her a peaceful passage to the Rainbow Bridge, if she must leave. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Darcy the Min Pin

JTMO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Kathie, she's hanging in there. I think she's afraid to let go and let her brother get all the fresh chicken and tuna. Meanwhile, she's staring out the window, happy.
Rallies=14
My travel albums

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
another update to CBC's story

Human food supply free of contaminated wheat gluten: Importer
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 3, 2007 | 4:09 PM ET
CBC News
The contaminated wheat gluten that prompted an extensive recall of pet food was not used in food for humans, the ingredient's importer confirmed on Tuesday.

Stephen Miller, ChemNutra Inc.'s chief executive officer, said his company distributed the wheat gluten only to pet food companies. He declined to identify the companies who purchased the wheat gluten.

Complete update at
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/04/03/pet-food.html?ref=rss
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Pet food recall could widen, U.S. FDA says
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 3, 2007 | 2:35 PM ET
CBC News

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says it's possible more pet foods will be recalled in the coming days as investigators continue to track the distribution of contaminated wheat gluten used in pet food.

Full article at
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/04/03/pet-food.html
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Gottahaveit
OH John that breaks my heart... Luna is such a good kitty... I'm in tears now. Luna just may surprise you....Come on Luna...you can do it. Prayers are in for you.

I JUST checked and the dog food I use has no corn, wheat, etc etc. BUT I found some treats from Petsmart that had the bad stuff... They are in the garbage. Thanks for the heads up...
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

JTMO
Explorer
Explorer
Well, as I told Fred in another thread, Luna is given 3 days by the vet. She's at home with us, we're feeding her chicken, real chicken. He says she's a goner, we'll see. I think we'll make a fire, she loves them.
Watch those dog biscuts too.
Rallies=14
My travel albums