cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Smokey the cat. What Next?

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Smokey is at the vet’s for the second time in a week. Poor guy couldn’t pass urine so off to the vet’s. He had to be put under to clear a blockage and was kept for a few days to make sure everything was ok. I brought him home along with a bunch of meds. Everything was fine for two days; then couldn’t pee again so back to the vet’s. They think this time it’s due to irritation, pain, and spasm; no real blockage, so he stays a few more days.

Here’s the side note to his sad story. The first time at the vet’s I asked, since he was going to be put under anyway, would they trim his front claws, I’ve been meaning to snip off the tips for a while. Wow, I didn’t know they could be trimmed that short. Smokey just couldn’t figure out why he couldn’t just hook on to his toys and scoop them up. Also he likes to hang on his carpeted tower and kick the pieces out of it with his hind feet; that doesn’t work either. Going to be awhile before they grow out to usable length again.

This trip I asked, since he was going to be put under again, could they clean his teeth. I got a call from the vet saying he is suffering from “Feline Oral Resorptive Lesions (FORL)” and needs to have four teeth pulled. I guess it’s a good thing he was put on a canned, moist food, only diet for the urinary issue since he is losing chewing teeth.

Poor guy. I hope this is it; he sure doesn’t need to lose any more body parts.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System
9 REPLIES 9

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're good kitty parents.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Floridafrances
Explorer
Explorer
Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery for Smokey with no relapses.
Frances & Tom with 3 rescue cats - Peaches, Snippet,and BP. And in spirit Aja (Dec 2014) and Tipper (Oct 2016).
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
2008 4 door Hardtop Wrangler Unlimited 4X4

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
poor Smokey...hopefully this is the last of his health issues for a long time !

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Poor baby but you are taking such good care of him...lucky boy!!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Hope he gets better soon... I know what you are going thru, when a member of my family gets sick hurt it affects me too.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
Sending healing thoughts for poor Smokey.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prayers for Smokey's healing.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, special food for your kitty from now on. He'll have a much more comfortable life.
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Poor kitty. We had a female cat who had crystals in her urine and we had to express her bladder for her a few times a day to help her and once cleared up special food and meds. Hope things start looking up!
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF 🙂 campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3