cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smokey the cat is home!

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Smokey the cat is home. Seems like his urinary problems are over. Now all I have to do is convenience him that taking two pills, two capsules, and two liquid medicines twice a day for the next week is really a fun thing.

He just canโ€™t understand why he is only getting strange smelling mushy food twice a day instead of snacking on his favorite dry stuff whenever he wants. He sniffs his food and looks at me like I am trying to poison him, but he is eating it, eventually. This might be a good thing since heโ€™s a couple of pounds over his preferred 17.4 pounds.

He seems to be saying โ€œItโ€™s good to be back home!โ€
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System
12 REPLIES 12

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear it and thank you for being a caring pet parent.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A sweet boy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Finally Time wrote:
She said they see this type of blockage most frequently in middle-aged, overweight, indoor, not very active male cats. Bingo, Smokey scores in every category.

Hey, now wait a minute, so do I. Should I be worried?

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Smokey does look very relaxed and happy to be home. Hopefully, the days of taking the meds will go by quickly and all will be back to normal.
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
My Vet said the same thing about no more dry food for Smokey. She said they see this type of blockage most frequently in middle-aged, overweight, indoor, not very active male cats. Bingo, Smokey scores in every category.

Her recommendation is no more dry food, encourage more water drinking with something like a running water fountain (He likes to drink from a running faucet when I brush my teeth.), feed wet food, without vegetables, grains, corn, or soy. She said cats are meat eaters, period. The vegie stuff is marketing for people and the grain, corn and soy are cheap sources of protein for the manufacturer. This seems to agree with most of what I have been reading on the on-line veterinary sites, so I canโ€™t see any reason not to do it.

Smokey has discovered he absolutely loves Meow Mix Poultry Shreds and Tender Favorites. I am able to break up his pills and capsules and mix in the liquids and he gobbles it down. Boy do I feel lucky about that; no fighting with him and no bleeding wounds on me.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

computerbug
Explorer
Explorer
Just went thru that we my kitty. They gave me pill pockets for the anti inflammatory and a 2week antibiotic shot. He is now on wet food and dry to match. He doesn't like the wet but he's eatting it. The funny part was we have two black cats and trying to figure out which one it was. There was blood on top of the litter box. So I put both of them in a dog crate and took them to the Vet. He just laugh and tested both of them. It was Frick not Frack so he put them both on the new food and it seems to be working. Good luck with your kitty

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's nice to hear a succes story like that. Seems like cats usually don't get over urinary issues.
Our vet has told us (and I believe her) that dry food is really bad for them. Especially if they don't get much else.

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
Glad Smokey is home and "on the mend". Hope he adjusts to the new food and meds soon!

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
My cat Kidder had the same problem which we did have to treat several times but he did fine on special diet and daily meds.He lived a long life. Good luck to you and Smokey! Took 2 of us to give him his meds...he was spunky.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I is always good to get back home after a hospital stay, there is no place like home.. Looks like he is very happy to be home where he is in
familiar territory and with those who love him.
You might have your hands full with the meds. tho... Good luck
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, Smokey looks happy to be home. Good luck on the pill taking though!

Pops

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Smokey is going to do just fine! Rub his tummy for me and tell him I hope he feels better!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]