cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rescue to therapy

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
In January, we came across a dog that had been hit by a car lying in the middle of the road. Of course, we stopped and with the help of another person who stopped after us, we moved him to the side of the road. The gentleman who helped us said he thought he know who the owner was so he took off to find him. In the meantime, a woman and her brother walked down from a nearby house and said she didn't know the owner but the dog had been living under her porch for a month or so. The previous man came back and said he thought the brother was the owner but apparently not. So we asked everyone there if they minded if we took the dog to the vet and they all said it was fine with them.

Long story short, took it to the vet = heartworms and both front legs broken in 2 places. Currently treating for heartworms, casts came off legs this past Tuesday (he was the star of several campgrounds while they were on!) and now I'd like to start his training as a therapy dog. Is it possible to have a traveling therapy dog? Could we call a local hospital wherever we are and ask if they'd like a visit? Does this sound plausible?

He has never barked or growled even when they were setting his legs. I can take food away from him and he doesn't say a word. Part lab, part I-don't-know-what but most excellent temperament.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)
21 REPLIES 21

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a DNA test for around $90.00 at Pet Smart.

Ours was an option in her wellness program.

We did so with a rescue puppy we just adopted last month. It was really interesting to see what was in her past.

We know what are the dominate breeds are in her so we can know generally, what behaviors to expect.

What we really wanted to know was how big will she get? And that question was answered also.

Of course it is up to you, but I felt it was money well spent.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
You know, you could be right, Pops. His head isn't as thick as a lab's and he's built more like a weimaraner with the deeper chest and narrow waist. He doesn't have the flagged tail of a lab nor the longer hair. He's also finer boned than a lab. Maybe he's a lab/weimaraner.

We were looking at possible campgrounds when we first got Willie from the vet and one of them asked what type of dog we had. I said a lab mix and she said "Oh, Labs are on the top of the list of dogs we don't allow." I was flabbergasted.

So, if anyone is in the Mobile, AL area, just skip right by the I-65 RV Park. We stayed, instead, at the Shady Acres Campground right off I-10 and everyone fell in love with Willie. He was called the Campground Miracle. Then we moved to the Mobile Delta Marina and Campground where everyone saw him with his casts. When he finally got them off, people came up and were happy for him. RVing is a good life!!
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
The more I look at Willie's photos. I think he's got some Shorthaired Weimaraner in him. He's got the same ears, and face.

Google image search link.

Pops

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
What a great story, and that's a beautiful dog! Pets you rescue under conditions like that end up repaying you a million times over. I hope you have lots of years with him.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, duplicate post.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Science Diet. He prefers the small kibble. We're not too sure just how old he is but the vet guessed around 2 or 3. Unfortunately, there's no way of telling for sure, I guess. We've decided, though, that his birthday is the day we found him on the road.

And what put the icing on the cake...he's housebroken!! 🙂
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, BTW, what kind of dog food are you feeding him? .... :B

Calvin

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Love the pitchurs! He is one very lucky fella! This thread made my day, that's fur sure!

Pops and Calvin

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quite a handsome and blessed feller. The shirt is a great idea.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
And this is Willie with his "collar-of-shame". He chewed his casts. But, as anyone who lives in an RV knows, this is just too big and the poor dog was running into stuff all over the place so we got him a toddlers denim shirt, put it on backwards, and no more chewing!! We also got him a heavier coat to wear when it got cold (mid 30's) down here in Alabama. I'm sorry I can't make the pictures smaller in Picasa.

COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
We named him Willie (for Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again")! I would love to post a pic of him but don't know how to. Right now, he and I are working on "Heel". He does "sit" and "down" very well in the house ("stay" is still a little rough around the edges) so we're working on them outside now. Heck, even the parrot says "Sit, down. Good boy", LOL.

See if this works: This is Willie at the vets with his new casts.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
I am thankful you stopped and saved this precious dog.
I can tell you, down here in Florida the Assisted Living and nursing home folks love to have these therapy dogs to come in and visit.
It means the world to their residents of these facilities.
You would make their day.
So follow protocol and have your precious dog certified and you would be welcomed most places.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You for stopping to help this poor dog and Thank You for adopting him.

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Pitchers?

Calvin