cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Park Dog limits

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife and I recently recused a 1 year old Chihuahua (4lb male). He has now been on 3 RV trips with us and he is like an old pro. We also have 3 other small dogs.

Unfortunately 2 of our favorite places to go have a 3 dogs limit. I was hoping that since he was so small, that they would make an exception but no go. Really a bummer but we wouldn't trade the little guy for the world. Anyone else run into this (dog limits at parks)?
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
21 REPLIES 21

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Glad our favorite campgrounds do not have a size or number rule. When the kids are with us we sometimes have 4 dogs, Now we have two & have an extended visit puppy making 3. 30 lbs to 70 lbs.

In July camping we saw a family with 4 Greyhounds very quiet and another family with 3 horses I mean Great Danes (huge) all were very well behaved. Around were hundreds of other dogs & people..........

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I don't ever call ahead. But I am a full timer and have no real planned destination like a weekend camper. That said.

I don't call ahead, I just show up with my 4 small dogs and as of yet have never been turned away where their was a limit number of dogs CG rule.

It's just good company policy for them to say no on the phone based on the posted CG rules. If I was an owner I would too. I found if you just pull in they often make exceptions to the dog rule cause you are already there, they see you and what you have, and they want your money!

Most have a weight limit more often than a limit on number of dogs.

I did stop at one CG which I was hoping to stay a month and they had a 3 dog limit, weight limit 35lbs. I just said if I added up the total weight of all 4 or my dogs I would be under the 35 lb rule! The owner laughed and said yes I guess you would be waved me in. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Red_Cobra_10
Explorer
Explorer
I y case.would think with all the RV'ers tearing down the entrance gates that the campground owners would take it case by case. I have never lost any sleep because of excessive yapping. I'm sorry. I did lose sleep one night when a couple next to us decided to hold divorce hearings in the middle of the night.Oddly enough,they weren't yapping.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I love my dogs as you can see by my signature. All of our dogs have been rescue dogs. The most we've traveled with is 3, right now we have two. I see no problem with your having four, but others do and since it's your money, go where it is accepted. It always pisses my husband off when we had the three and RV parks limited us to two. His question was for them and those that charged extra for pets, was, "Do they limit the number of pets for the amount of poop or charge more for the amount of poop they have to pick up? Not! Because they don't do either!". Well, our dogs are not barkers and we take them with us when we go out touring, but I'm sure others don't abide and the RV parks have to either abide by their insurance clauses or to keep their non pet owner customers happy. Go somewhere else. Who needs that hassle anyway!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with CollieHauler - we even had one park that had a one-dog limit, let us in with both dogs if we agreed to not flaunt that "rule change" by walking both dogs at once! I've also had a park with a 30-lb limit, let us in with Ike at 73 lbs and Jack at 55. I don't ask for these considerations - but I surely thank them profusely when offered, and I make sure I'm the best darn dog owner that ever visited them, too.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I traveled full time for a couple of years back in the '90s with my Golden Retriever "Beau". I ran into a number of parks that had weight restrictions. "No dogs over 40lbs" or similar.

I didn't find any flexibility in the park operators when I tried to explain how quiet and well behaved my four legged child was.

Very frustrating.

I agree with the comment above regarding "voting with your $$".
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I am a dog lover till the end but these rules are for the good of everyone. There was a couple at the campground last week that had just 2 of these little fuzzy white things. They even kept them inside but any time someone would walk past they would go crazy and set off a chain reaction to where the whole area was nothing but barking dogs. I just avoided that part of the park when walking my dog.

The other end of the park was equally entertaining. I was walking down the street with my dog and came to a site where some guy was encouraging his little dog to growl and bark and try to attack us while we were going past. I guess he thought it was funny that his little football was so brave to take on my Rottweiler. Well this get old really fast from people that dont control their dogs let alone someone that encourages it. Just then it popped into my head to see what all the entertainment was about so I stopped right in front of the guy and turned to face him. Naturally my dog turned and stood at my side. I just stood there for about 5 seconds with this little yapper foaming at the mouth and the guy chuckling about it. Just then I said 2 words..."watch him".... and gus launched to the end of the leash growling and snorting and kicking grass all over the place. That guy scooped up that dog and ran inside. Never seen the dog again the rest of the weekend. It was kinda enjoyable I do have to say. Now I see why he did it.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is my little guy.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have traveled with 4 Collies (down to 3 now) and have never been turned away. A couple of parks the owner was hesitant and came out to meet the Collies. I always ask when I check out if any complaints, so far none. The way I look at it their campground their rules. My money my choice.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I bet he is a tad bit bigger than our 3.8 pound girl. She has an identity issue. She hops around the grass like a rabbit. And, she climbs on the back of the couch like a cat. She even attempted a cat-like jump onto the bed...and didn't make it.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dog Folks wrote:

It may be the numbers, rather than size, as others have already mentioned. If the park has a two dog rule, they could stretch to three, but stretching to four is just too far.

The two places I called had a 3 dog rule (I have 4) but they would not budge. I just figured since my new addition was only 4 lbs, they would let me slide but no go. No big deal as I did find other parks around. It was just a bummer because we had stayed at this one place that the wife really liked and wanted to go back. When we do weekend trips, we always stay at state parks which don't have dog limits. But when we take a long trip, it's nice to have sewer hookups and the other amenities that RV parks provide.

I do understand why the parks don't allow exceptions. Another person could see us with 4 dogs and wonder why they couldn't bring their 4. I always try to pass off my little one as only a half a dog since he is so small! 😉

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
When we encountered that, we would call the park and ask. We were never turned down!

You have better luck than I have. I have asked 3 different places and was turned down all 3 times.

I have found other nice places to stay so it won't affect my trip. I'd rather have my dogs with me.

I have given this more thought. (Yeah I know that is dangerous.:B)

Glad you found other arrangements. Parks can set any rules they want, but need to remember, it is MY money and I will "vote" with same.

You don't have to reveal names, but I would like to know what states this happened in? Florida?

Happy camping. Just don't let the dogs bark:B
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
Anyone else run into this (dog limits at parks)?

Yep!!! At several CG's over the years.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
BCSnob wrote:
It's not the number of dogs that is the issue; it is the number of owners who don't care if their dogs are well behaved.

I was going to mention this as well. The very few times that I have had problems with a barking dog, it has always been 1 dog at a particular site and not a group of dogs. My dogs tend to keep each other company and will only bark if confronted. They don't bark when in the RV unless someone was to walk through my site or knock on the door. Another misconception is that all small dogs are yappers. True, some are but that is an unfair stereotype. I was convinced my little Chihuahua rescue dog didn't bark as he was silent the first 2 months we had him. He is a very quiet little guy.

I just thought it was odd that the first two places I called had a 3 dog limit. I have seen many places with a 2 dog limit, but not 3. I would never give a negative review of a park because of a dog limit. It's still a free country and a park owner can have whatever rules they want. I just like being able to take my whole family with me and at this point of my life, I have 4 fur kids.