cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slip Covers for cats

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
We want to start getting our cats ready to join us on long trips in our motor home. Part of that conditioning is to make sure they do not claw the leather bucket seats in the front of our motor home.

Does anyone know where we can buy oversized slipcovers that will protect those super large bucket seats? We are not looking for the best looking covers, just covers to protect the leather!
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL
9 REPLIES 9

CruznCats
Explorer
Explorer
Try some tinfoil. Worked great on the sofa/chairs and keep them off the kitchen counter. Easy to put up and remove. Haven't needed it for a while now but every once in a while we have to put a piece back up. We also have the cardboard scratchers (we don't bother with the holders just the inside) besides the sisal on their cat tree.

We also snapped our fingers (not yelled) when they got up on the counter or scratched in appropriately.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I can't help it. Every time I see this topic, I get a mental picture of my orange tabby, Edna, wearing a lovely floral print. If I was handy with photo shop, I'd do that. ๐Ÿ™‚
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
There's been times when I wished we had a cat bag like that, quick evac and such. However, my cats had this ability to turn their body into toothpaste and squeeze out of almost any kind of containment. ๐Ÿ™‚
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
LOL if Shirley saw me walking in with that bag she would spray paint Sandy on it SMILE
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
They have wonderful nail covers now that go over the toenails and do not affect the car being able to draw nails in or put them out. They are available as some vets offices. Not sure if grooming salons would have them to put on or not. They can match the color of their toenails, or come in colors. See if your vet knows about them. Kind of new I think.

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
My cat doesn't claw the chairs, but when he jumps out he digs in with his hind claws. That left a few punctures. I bought a couple of seat covers from Camping World Not the best look or fit, but good protection. (If you have large captain's chairs with square backs, I don't think they will fit.)
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might try a couple simple pillow cases over the backs. A sisal rope cat tree in the RV will help (as Ellen says don't put it next to the seats). Clipping their nails regularly will help also.

There's an easy way that 9 out of 10 cats will let you clip their nails without issue (my last standing cat is the 10th, the you should be good ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜ž

Set the cat on your lap like a child (butt at the back of your seat by your stomach, cat's back to your chest). Have regular finger nail clippers ready to go at your side. Talk to the cat and gently lift one paw - DO NOT pull the leg outstretched (that's what they don't like), just lift it up in the air lightly. Then lightly holding the paw, clip the nails on that foot. If the cat gets nervous, stop and just pet and cuddle a bit until it calms down. Then start where you left off. Do front feet first. You only have to do the back feet if they are kickers (mine is). After clipping all the necessary nails, pet and cuddle the cat in that position. If you get the cat used to that position BEFORE using it for clipping it's that much easier. No towels, no "hold the da*n cat down", no blood necessary.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Impkitti
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure the cats will scratch the leather? Before we purchased a leather couch for our S&B, I left a piece of leather draped over a chair the cats were fond of sleeping in - they ignored it.

I would suggest a couple of throws and discrete use of safety pins until you determine how the cats will behave. Also, I would not put their scratching post near the chairs if you are concerned.
Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time