cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with a pet

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first year we will be traveling with our Basset Hound along. She can't stay home alone.

What do you do with a pet when you go out to eat, want to see things that take a couple of hours or more, or just need to get out of the trailer for a while?

Thanks for your help...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
31 REPLIES 31

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
azrving wrote:
You leave them in the RV and hope that they don't bark which will cause the park manager to call you.

Not really great advise. Even if the park manager doesn't get involved, the dog, especially a howler like a Basset Hound, may be making quite a bit of noise. Plus it's not fair to the dog.

Ok. So never leave them in the RV? What if they do leave them and they don't happen to bark or they don't bark at the things around them in that particular park. Do you suggest a kennel every time they leave the RV.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Cool weather our dog waits for us in the truck. Hot weather he stays in the trailer.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I full-time with my 3 yr old cocker spaniel. I include him in on all activities, except to go grocery shopping. He howls/barks/cries if left alone. I almost always talk to the neighbors, explain he is alone and will not be happy until I return. Tell them where I am going and how long I expect to be gone. I have not met an unreasonable person yet. Give them my cell # if needed. If furkid is not allowed at event, then I don't go. My choice to have him.

Is it not more unreasonable for you to expect others to put up with a yapping dog while you're not there?

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Quick Question ~~ Do you take dog to 'sitter' ?? OR invite 'sitter' into your RV???

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It all depends on the dog. Have traveled with two different Goldens, one at a time. Both about as calm and laid back as any dog could possibly be. We would take them for a walk, then back to the RV, and they both would go curl up in a dark corner of the bedroom and sleep until we returned later, as much as 2-3 hours, and still be there when we returned.

Not all dogs do as well. We have been camped beside people who left their dogs barking the entire time they were gone. Bad for the dogs, and bad the neighbors. If unsure, a pet sitter would be the best option, if available.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We travel with 3 dogs. It is important to watch the weather and find them shade. There are plenty of outdoor restaurants that are pet friendly. I mostly keep them with me or leave them in a safe place in the truck. I love dogs. Years ago my brother said it best, "I try to avoid places where my dog is not welcome."

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Our 90# Boxer goes nearly everywhere we go. If not possible, like grocery store or doctor, one of us will stay in the RV with him or take him to a dog park.

On the + side, we're finding many restaurants with outside patios are not only allowing but encouraging customers to bring thier well behaved dog with them. People with dogs appreciate and patronize those establishments. You can get on line and search " dog friendly restaurants".
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I full-time with my 3 yr old cocker spaniel. I include him in on all activities, except to go grocery shopping. He howls/barks/cries if left alone. I almost always talk to the neighbors, explain he is alone and will not be happy until I return. Tell them where I am going and how long I expect to be gone. I have not met an unreasonable person yet. Give them my cell # if needed. If furkid is not allowed at event, then I don't go. My choice to have him.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Basset hounds hate to be alone, so we take her about everywhere we go. When we can...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Guy down the road a bit has a hound and at times I want to go down there and stuff a sock in it's mouth. Nice pup but the baying is highly irritating at times.

Our dog don't bay, thankfully nor does it bark often. Good on both counts.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
You leave them in the RV and hope that they don't bark which will cause the park manager to call you.

Not really great advise. Even if the park manager doesn't get involved, the dog, especially a howler like a Basset Hound, may be making quite a bit of noise. Plus it's not fair to the dog.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use rover.com... pet sitters in about every city?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking forward (not) to this fall when we go to Maine for a couple weeks and bring our very large black lab / chow mix along. He's 100 pounds and quite large, looks wicked mean but in reality is a big baby, very mannerly, obedient and housebroken and loves kids...

I guess boarding is an alternative which we may do but prefer not too and we have a truck camper so at night it would be like 3 peas in a pod..

Been down the boarding route before. One it's expensive, two, it's hard on any dog because of the absence of their owner, three it's hard on the owner(s), especially if they are as attached to the dog as we are and fourth, the dog might get sick or go off feed. Dog's especially are used to a schedule that will get disrupted with boarding and when you board, the dog must be vaccinated for kennel cough.

So no, we aren't looking forward to boarding but bringing along the big black dog will have some interesting aspects....

Will be an adventure for sure.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Class B now, so the dog comes everywhere with us. If we go in a restaurant, store, historic site or wherever that he can't come he stays in the RV. It's his home away from home, so it's exactly what he's used to. The only difference is that in the RV we crate him. He's not crated at home, but in the RV we do it for his safety and to keep him from damaging anything. We pull the shades and leave the AC or the fan on for white noise. We have an on board genny, so we can run it when he needs the AC.

When we had our Class A, a toad and two dogs they stayed in the RV when we went out and they couldn't come. Again--crates, leave something on for white noise, etc.

You want to make sure barking while you're gone isn't an issue. Some will say that's impossible to know but in reality it's very easy--ask neighbors (you can ask them to listen for barking before you leave and even give them your cell # and ask them to call if there's a problem) or set up a camera or a voice activated recorder. For the first few times it would be good to leave for just a few minutes, then gradually lengthen the time you're away. If necessary practice leaving the dog in your trailer while you're at home to get her used to it and see how she does. It also helps to make sure your dog is well-exercised and tired before you leave, and to leave her with a safe, yummy chew toy.

Of course the above assumes you have reliable electricity and can run the AC to keep your RV at a safe temperature for the dog.

Many campgrounds state that dogs are not to be left unattended. Some people take that to mean they aren't to be left outside an RV unattended, others take it to mean they aren't to be left even inside their own RV. We had our Class A for ten years and I always asked. Every place we stayed or thought about staying I asked in advance. In those ten years in only one instance was I told that it was not okay to leave a quiet, well behaved dog inside our RV. Of course we chose not to stay there. My conclusion is (obviously) that if this ambiguous rule has ever meant that dogs couldn't be left alone inside an RV it was meant to be selectively applied in retrospect for troublesome barkers. But--ask. We've encountered a very, very small number of campgrounds that state unambiguously in their rules that dogs can't be left unattended, ever, even inside their own unit. So we just avoid those. They have been very few, so it hasn't been hard.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

azrving
Explorer
Explorer