cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Welcome, Ollie!

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently "ask and you shall receive" works with dogs, too. We tried to get a yellow Lab from a semi-local shelter (three hours away) last Friday. Someone had already taken him out for a home visit, so we figured we had lost this one, too.

Yesterday they brought him back and said that he was just too much for them to handle. We said we would be there this morning. He is an approximately one to two year old pup who has had absolutely zero training. Just an out-of-control fireball.

By the time we loaded him into the back of our Jeep, he was already walking at heel. The people at the front desk were astonished. He rode well in the car, only fussing one time when he needed to use the rest stop. Once he was turned out in our yard, he was very curious and then reverted to the ball of fire.

He lounged in the baby pool and chased a ball and generally tried to get away with anything he could. He willingly drops something when told, but he doesn't understand his boundaries yet. After he ate supper, he went right into his kennel and went to sleep.
We will take him in to see our vet tomorrow and get a health checkup and rabies vaccination, plus a rattlesnake shot. We also will check into having him chipped and buying health insurance for him.

This is definitely a project, but we feel he is totally worth it. Absolutely love at first sight.

So, without further ado, here's Ollie! Hope this photo posts OK.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac200/Turbotailmurph/image.jpg1_zps1lbkgwtx.jpg
12 REPLIES 12

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good wishes.

Day 2 has been an eye opener. This so-called totally out of control pup has immediately morphed into mostly a gentleman! We have always had Golden Retrievers (four of them) and black Labs (four of them) plus a Lab/Chessie who looked like a Lab but had Chessie mentality. The Labs took several years to come to some form of calm. This is our first yellow. Ollie is just so very eager to please. He is working on his basic commands, one of which we have put a priority on. That is that he has to sit and wait for one of us to go out the door first. He had a tendency to blast out between your legs or slam you into the door jamb while trying to be the first through the door. A dominance thing with dogs, but fortunately we were aware of that and have been able to make good headway on that today.

In the house he behaves so very well. Has obviously been house trained, as he will tell us when he needs out. After he did his rounds this morning, he just settled in under the coffee table.

He went to the vet this afternoon and got a clean bill of health. His behavior was 180* from the way he acted at the shelter yesterday. They were thrilled to meet him.

Here is a picture that I call "I just don't know what we are going to do with this out of control puppy". Hopefully posting from my laptop instead of the iPad will let the picture come through properly.

I guess it isn't the iPad. Must be operator error. Here is the link.
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac200/Turbotailmurph/DSCF0172_zps785dh6px.jpg

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it was meant to be. Congrats - he is a real cutie.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
We've always had Labs...they are so smart and once he settles in he'll just get better and better.
They love to please, they love to play and ours always love to cuddle.
Ours is funny, when there's nothing going on she just takes a nap.
Thanks so much for giving Ollie a new life!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for adopting him and making him a part of your family.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
He's a great looking boy! Congrats!

Pops n' Calvin

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
He is a very beautiful boy for sure and Thank You for rescuing him for sure. I am convinced that rescue dogs are the very best.

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Ollie is a beautiful guy and I am sure he will bring your many happy moments. Congratulations to Ollie for finding a forever home and congratulations to you for saving Ollie. Have a wonderful and happy life.
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Ollie is so handsome!! Thank you for rescuing - labs are a dime a dozen in shelters (along with pitts) in our area. We've had two labs in the past, and they both made great family dogs. Once they turn 2-3 years old, they tend to settle down better. In the meantime, consistent training and loads of patience will help you keep your sanity - lol!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
What a gorgeous boy! Thank you for rescuing and for being willing to tame the wild streak in him! Rescues are the best!

God bless all rescuers.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Here he is...

Congrats
Mark
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like my Chocolate Lab at 7 years old. I sure hope he slows down soon. When we are out I use a Gentle Leader on him and have no control problems with it on him. With out it on I am helpless as he has his own agenda, especially if there are squirrels, rabbits, or cats around. All that aside though they are great companions. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Remember he is still a pup and they are usually, if normal a ball of fire. I raise feist squirrel dogs,they all have their own personality and are like kids, they must be taught right from wrong but they are still young..Sounds like you got a winner...Congrats
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game