cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

15 watt solar panel

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend that bought a "15 watt battery solar charger kit" at a garage sale and he wants me to install it for him on a trailer with two 12 volt group 24 batteries. He is just going to use it to keep the batteries from going dead when it is parked out back.
The documentation says "charge 12v batteries with sunlight. Built in blocking diode protects battery discharge at night." I put it in the sun and it is putting out 24.5 volts. So I have some questions.

I was going to get a charge controller for it since they are fairly inexpensive. Do I need a charge controller for this small of a panel?

Is a 24 volt panel the correct panel to charge 12 volt batteries wired in parallel? Or does a charge controller handle the excess voltage?
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X
9 REPLIES 9

RCtime
Explorer
Explorer
That solar panel will do a great job of maintaining fully charged batteries. My SIL uses that set up. 1st he went to autozone and purchased a simple disconnect switch he installed on his batteries to prevent any parasitic backflow. Hook the solar panel directly to the proper battery terminals.
Also he made some wood legs that propped the panel towards the sun when placed on top of his trailer.
He covered the end of the legs with foam and taped over to prevent scratching.
All you need is some sunshine.
Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
It will keep it topped up if he disconnects all the loads. Which means - ALL. No detectors, no radio on standby, no anything. To do this, he needs to disconnect the load cables from the battery, and clamp the solar panel wires to the battery. So if he wants it to be "installed", such an install would have to include some loose dangling wires that he will clip and unclip when needed - or some switch for that purpose.

If he won't disconnect all the loads, the panel will slow down the drain but may not stop it - depends on how much load is there, and it won't - probably - overcharge the battery either.

What BFL said - overcharging (with all loads disconnected) is possible, so this is something to keep an eye on, especially with all the loads disconnected.

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help guys!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It will be fine to direct connect it to the group twenty-four batteries with no controller.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
With 2 GP24 batteries there is no need for a controller with a 15watt solar panel. The 24.5 volts you are reading is open circuit voltage, not a problem. That panel probably does something like 0.9 Amps at 17.5 volts (i.e. 15 watts at Max Power point). 0.9 amps barely above 0.5% of battery capacity so no danger of damaging the batteries. Keep the batteries wired in parrellel and disconnected from trailer as that solar panel will not keep up with parastic loads.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am going to guess that his panel kit is a "12v" panel with a 23v+ Voc.

Some 12v panels that are poly have the usual 21v Voc, while some mono's have 22v. (result is the Isc on the monos is lower ๐Ÿ˜ž )

The 15w panel(s) is probably amorphous vice poly or mono. So if 23v Voc and still 12v,(most "24v" are 36 or so Voc),then you only need a controller if that 15w will get the batt bank over 15v during the available daylight. Situational-try it.

Not likely.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I too am surprised it's putting out that much voltage. Either way you don't need a controller. just hook it up positive to positive and negative to negative. Be sure to put a fuse in the positive lead off the battery.
Unless all the loads are disconnected from the batteries they'll still go dead. A 15 watt panel is basically nothing into those batteries.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
No controller needed. Once connected you will be lucky to get them up to a normal 14 volts. Still need to disconnect all draw from the battery.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
No controller needed. Is it 24 volts? I
d thought those small panels were more like 16-18 volts
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.