cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tire issue after tires checked at Tire Place.

efiguero
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from a trip to the beach in our 97 Fleetwood Class C Ford E350, and had a couple of issues with a flat tire. First, we could not figure out how to drop our spare (Some might have seen the post for help with that.), next, when our roadside assistance service provider pulled the flat tire (The inside rear passenger tire, dully set up), he could not figure out why it had gone flat. Apparently we had driven on it flat for a while which caused permanent damage to the inside walls of the tire so it could not be repaired. However upon his inspecting of the tire, he could not see any exterior damage, like nails, cracks, holes, etc. The other odd thing was the valve was gone, along with the valve extender. The tech said that once the tire deflated that the valve an extender most likely fell off as we were driving. Anyhow, prior to us leaving on our trip, I took the rig over to a Discount Tire that is less than a mile away from my home to have them check the tires and pressure before we hit the road. The kid doing it, seemed to be having a hard time, complained a little, but seemed to have done it and told me that all the tires were checked and inflated to proper PSI. Could he have done something to the valve/valve extender to cause the tire to deflate? I was just not sure it these dully tires are that sensitive. Never had experience with this type of tire set up. I will probably go to the same Discount Tire to get the new tire, but I am curious if I should bring this up to them and see if they feel something might have been done incorrectly (Doubt they will own up to it if it was, but never hurts to ask.)
18 REPLIES 18

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has their favorite TPMS which is the one they bought which says that they all seem to do the job. I bought the tiretraker system for $225. That is the base unit and four sensors. Additional sensors were $35 each and the unit will handle up to 22 of them. Hope this helps. Btw it does both temp and pressure as I'm sure most all do.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

efiguero
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks for all the advice everyone. Good stuff.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Tires come in two flavors for this post, HIgh pressure (IE 100 PSI range) and low (Less than 50)

Low pressure tires on cars often have plastic camps on the tire valve stem, HIGH are supposed to have metal caps with a sealing ring, JUST in case the valve core does not seat properly.

My guess.. The valve stem was a tad loose (The nut at the base of the stem) and that is where it leaked.. This is, however, a guess, nothing more.

Suggestion: Dorian Pressure Pro or Pressure Pro or another Tire Pressure Monitoring System..

Ideally you should check your tire pressure quite often.. With many of these systems you can "Check" it from the driver's seat while doing 55mph every few minutes.. and if a tire goes low, IT screams at you "FEED ME AIR" like you would not believe.

The cost of such a system..... Less than your new tires.

At an Rv Rally I thought I saw the left front tire a little low. Took off the metal cap and it hissed away. If it hadn't been for the high pressure metal cap we might have had a blowout or something on the road. The valve core was loose.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires come in two flavors for this post, HIgh pressure (IE 100 PSI range) and low (Less than 50)

Low pressure tires on cars often have plastic camps on the tire valve stem, HIGH are supposed to have metal caps with a sealing ring, JUST in case the valve core does not seat properly.

My guess.. The valve stem was a tad loose (The nut at the base of the stem) and that is where it leaked.. This is, however, a guess, nothing more.

Suggestion: Dorian Pressure Pro or Pressure Pro or another Tire Pressure Monitoring System..

Ideally you should check your tire pressure quite often.. With many of these systems you can "Check" it from the driver's seat while doing 55mph every few minutes.. and if a tire goes low, IT screams at you "FEED ME AIR" like you would not believe.

The cost of such a system..... Less than your new tires.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
Stay out of discount tire. Bought some tires from them. One blew apart for no reason and the other was coming apart. No warranty. Told me it was my fault.I have 35 years on the road so I know a little about taking care of tires. Forget the rubber valve stems. Get the metal ones.

Travel2build
Explorer
Explorer
Hey nice topic. What is a reliable and cheap tire monitoring system?

Now you got me worried. (-:

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my feelings, please don't be offended. Tires need checked inspected and often. To often IMO to run down to tire store to have them check tires. It took about $50.00 for me to get set up on checking tires (includes valve stem extensions).
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
"The other odd thing was the valve was gone, along with the valve extender."

Must have rubber valves instead of metal ones. More than likely the weight of the extender pulled the stem out and caused the flat in the first place.
Art.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Without doing the leakage check, you'll have a fine time with a monitoring system watching tire pressure decrease. Personally I like both systems ๐Ÿ™‚

efiguero
Explorer
Explorer
A tire pressure monitoring system is on my wish list, along with other upgrades. As soon as my budget allows I will be purchasing one, but not this year. As for changing the tire, I don't know much about changing tires on these larger rigs (A class C is larger than I am used to.). However I did learn somethings while watching the tire guy. Some of the things were, where to lower the spare from as neither the MH or Ford manuals showed where this crank was located. I still have not located the tool to use on the crank to drop the spare as that was not mentioned either. I will continue my search, but it may not be there as this was a used rig. With Dual rear tires, they are not the easiest to check pressure on as it took the guy at Discount tires a bit of time to do with professional tools. That the spare is interchangeable with the front and rear. Since I had never had any experience with a dual wheel rig, looking at the rims in the front and back they look different. I learned that they are the same just flipped, I did not know this. Also, it seemed an air powered jack worked versus a large floor jack when the tire guy when to jack up the rig. Anyhow, these are just a couple of the things I learned. I have also read that it is not the best idea to do change your own tire on these heavy rigs, hence the reason for roadside assistance. However I did learn that you should know how to drop your spare, lol. I have only had the MH since the start of the summer so I am slowly but surely trying to buy what I need and upgrade what I can as my budget allows. If I had the budget to buy all the goodies, I probably would have been able to afford a new rig versus and old 97, lol. Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
That happened to me. I had the tires checked and I drove home. As I was pulling up in front a city worker point out my inside dually was flat. The valve had some how stuck open when it was checked. I replaced all my valves.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Before screwing on the valve stem cap, spray the stem tip with window spray cleaner. If you see bubbles, then you have a leak. I repeat the spray and look two or three times. The fools that change tires SHOULD spray the rim with soapy water INCLUDING the rivets inside the wheel where the center joins the rim, then around the inside and outside of the beads, then finally in and around the valve stem. Windex works as good as anything to create bubbles. If a tire man is in too much of a hurry to do this procedure then surely he is in WAY too big a hurry to reach for my cash.

dogwood36322
Explorer
Explorer
Inside tires on dual wheel setups are difficult to check and air. The tire pressure monitor system will let you know when a tire is going down to prevent distroying the tire and possibly causing major damage to the area around the tire. I like the peace of mind my monitor system give me. I use the TST system. Gives me pressure and temp of each tire.
Jim,
Retired US Army, Still training Army pilots at Ft.Rucker, Al.
2011 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7, B&W turnover hitch/5th wheel.
2014 Heritage Glen 356QBQ
Days Camped 2016----33

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Kennedycamper wrote:
2 things, First your post makes a compelling argument for doing a practice tire change in your own driveway before the first trip. Second, Tire Pressure Monitor Systems may not be as worthless as their detractors seem to think.

Thats what I have been saying since having a flat on my trailer. I can say for sure you Will never see me without again. Some will say check your inflation at each stop which its not in itself a bad idea, but does little To help when you pickup a nail a mile down the road.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work