cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1976 Dodge Mobile Traveler transmission - how many gears?

zerxyx
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I am the proud new owner of a 1976 Dodge Mobile Traveler. It has a mopar 318 engine. As I have been driving it, the automatic transmission seems to have 3 gears, the one it starts out in when stopped, a 2nd gear starting at about 15 mph, and a 3rd one starting at about 30 mph. When I get up to higher speeds, it seems like there should be one more gear (like an overdrive gear), but it does shift into one. Either it doesn't have one, or it isn't shifting into it. Any thoughts?

zerxyx
17 REPLIES 17

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think your problem is different.

Sounds like someone rewired to run the house off the engine battery. Most RVs keep them separated except for charging purposes.

Personally, I would rewire it so the lights work on the house battery only and not install a switch. No sense in running down your engine battery.

I have a diagram that shows how to wire it so you can jumpstart your engine battery from your house battery with a flip of a switch. Normally, the wiring just allows the house battery to charge off the alternator when driving - and that wiring was usually done with a too small wire.

If you'd like that diagram, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you tonight.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Mopar ignition system from that Era was notorious for failing. Most times, it was the resister that would burn out.

In my case, it was the resistor, the coil, the ignition module, etc. It would just fail to start at random times.

The GM mod replaces the mopar ignition module and resistor (which provide a stunted spark to the distributor) with a GM module only (full spark). So you eliminate the two most common culprits of failure.

zerxyx
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo and toedtoes, that Mopar resistor block thing sounds ominous, sounds like I need to get some spares. Can you tell me a bit more about that issue? What is the GM electronic ignition changeover? Is any of this related to my question about the internal lighting?

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Wait till you get the thrill of Mopar resistor blocks on the ignition system. We had a couple of RamChargers with those when I was in Memphis as tow vehicles for our boats. We carried spares everywhere.
Toedtoes has info on a GM electronic ignition changeover that is supposed to work well and be inexpensive.
You may not run into the problem, but if you do, look at the mod.

Was just about to mention that. ๐Ÿ™‚

It works great! No problems with starting since I did the mod. So much nicer than trying to deal with carrying resistors.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Wait till you get the thrill of Mopar resistor blocks on the ignition system. We had a couple of RamChargers with those when I was in Memphis as tow vehicles for our boats. We carried spares everywhere.
Toedtoes has info on a GM electronic ignition changeover that is supposed to work well and be inexpensive.
You may not run into the problem, but if you do, look at the mod.

zerxyx
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I got the RV for 5k and it seems to have been fairly well taken care of, so I think I will do as kerrlakeRoo suggests and just enjoy the scenery at lower speeds.

Another question (I have plenty, so thank you in advance) - the internal lighting in the living space only works if the ignition key is turned, although the rv has a 2nd battery. I would think there would be a switch somewhere where I could swith the internal electrical demand to the 2nd set of batteries, but I havent seen one. If there isnt one, it would seem like a good idea to somehow install one. Any thoughts?

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 318, but an '89 model which has a roller cam which gives 10 more HP(185) and some more torque too.

My transmission is an A-500 or 42 RH which is based upon the 904, which is the smaller version of the venerable 727 weighing 100Lbs less.

I recently had electrical issues preventing me from using overdrive and the lock up torque converter, and 3000 rpm at 65MPH is annoyingly loud, where as in OD Lockup it is about 1975 rpm.

The 727 with an overdrive unit tacked onto the end is called an A 518

or 46 RE or 46 RH and there is lots of information inline about converting to them from a base 727.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Any time we get into an older vehicle with only three gears, it always sounds like it needs to shift again. We didn't notice it back in the day but now we're spoiled. ๐Ÿ˜‰

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Just think of the drivetrain as the "tourist special". You will have plenty of time to see everything as you cruise along. And to be honest, if you can get used to slowing down like that, you may find that you like it. You will be less stressed, and more relaxed if you accept slowing down as the vehicles requirement and not your own.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You have a 3 speed automatic transmission. It sounds like it's working as designed.
You may want to consider having the transmission serviced, especially if you have no service records.

Make sure your tires are inflated properly, slow down and enjoy your travels.

Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of experience and information available. Don't hesitate to ask questions, someone will have the answer.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The 318 was a good engine in its time although a little small in displacement and IMO, very under powered for your application. As previously mentioned, 3 on the tree is all you get. You could change the differential ratio to lower the revs per mile and save a little fuel under some conditions but, that would make it even slower out of the hole. It needs the revs to make sufficient power for highway cruising.

Chum lee

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Just like the old Turbo 400s in GMs. 3's all ya gots. :B If you =do= want an overdrive, bet you could add a GearVendor OD. Would also come in =real= handy if you plan on towing anything, as they actually let you split the gears when in manual mode, so you end up with 6 ratios. Had one in an old truck, and it worked great hauling heavy stuff around, even with a 4.10 rearend.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

zerxyx
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, thanks for the clarifications so far. So here is some more detail.

The gearshift indicator has the standard PRND21. What I was describing was starting out in Drive and accelerating and noting when I could feel the transmission shifting. So the gear the transmission starts out in from a dead stop I am calling 1st gear (unrelated to what is shown on the gear shift indicator). Then at about 15 MPH I can feel the transmission shift into what I am calling 2nd gear. Then at about 25 MPH I can feel it shift again into what I am calling 3rd gear. It stays in that gear all the way up to 60 MPH, around which I would think the transmission would shift into some kind of overdrive gear, if it has one. My concern is that if the tranny has some kind of overdrive gear that is supposed to kick in at highway speeds, and it isn't doing it, my gas mileage will suffer severely. But if it doesn't have one and only has the 3 gears I have described, it is operating normally.
Your thoughts?