cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 inch Eternabond over windows?

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I resealed all the windows and sidewall protrusions with 3M4000 (UV resistant). I think it lasted a year before cracking.

I was thinking of sealing the top of the windows and other sidewall protrusions with strips of 2" Eternabond. My trailer will be 10 years old next year. I did the roof a number of years ago and have had no problems.

I want to avoid delamination under the windows. I'm guessing the most critical leak point is at the top of the window. I wish Eternabond made a 1" strip for this purpose.

Anyone done this?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.
10 REPLIES 10

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If your not interested how the TT looks and in its resale value using Eternabond on the sides will work. Your choice.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
that's what I did in the first year. I just rounded the corners to blend in. make sure you use the same color tape, works great, and better then caulk.
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
With Dicor I think it should be a different kind, not the self-leveling kind that is used on the roof. On a vertical surface "self-leveling" means "flowing down the wall" 🙂

Dicor Non-Sag Lap Sealant

Stiffer consistency sealant for use on vertical surfaces or where a flowing-style caulk is less desirable.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest to use Geocel 2300 or Geocel Proflex RV sealants instead of Eternabond. I've used both and the caulk is probably a better solution for windows and doors.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
With Dicor I think it should be a different kind, not the self-leveling kind that is used on the roof. On a vertical surface "self-leveling" means "flowing down the wall" 🙂

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the window.
Remove all the butyl tape from window and walls
Apply new butyl tape
Caulk, with RV caulk, the top of the window

This is how the dealer did my first 5th wheel.

I did it myself on another 5th wheel.

I would not use the 3M 4000 polyurethane on my RV. I prefer the Dicor or Proflex caulk.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
I redid our 2008 HR at the beginning of our second year (2009) of ownership. I taped the window frame and the body off with blue tape and then shot a polyurethane roof sealant in like caulking a tub. It was still in great shape when I sold the RV in Feb of 13.
Randy

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
That thick layer of butyl putty tape under the lip of RV windows should keep out all the water unless it was not applied correcly.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, just ues caulk for above the windows. I don't know how Eternabond would look above the window.

If you decide to use Eternabond, I would use a metal straight edge, like a T square, and a utiity knife to cut the 2" into 1" strips.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would do windows, doors etc with an outdoor caulk.