cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 W22 blown ignition B 50amp fuse

2005bounder35e
Explorer
Explorer
Lost dash ac,radio,rear camera,level jacks,slides,step retract,abs light on,next day no problem can't find what caused it to blow
18 REPLIES 18

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ignition B is dedicated for chassis use only for a reason. And here we have a small ignition switch relay powering significant HOUSE loads as well as it's design capacity. Chassis circuitry is bare minimum capacity to cover it's original design specification. "Jeeze got my house batteries wired into the headlight circuit Cause everyone knows I don't drive at night". Keep chassis circuits original. When tapping chassis for charging tap between battery and fusible link or fuse then use a dedicated fuse solely for the house power lead. Did the people who designed this get past sixth grade?

MrWizard
Good luck Mex

As for the OP problem
I don't believe this is a wiring defect
Wear? Maybe, age yes
This is a 12 yr old RV,
My uncle traded his Thor , but the problem seemed to be related to the ABS power circuits, IIRC the abs power relay gets its power from this sub fuse B
And is the only circuit using enough power to reach the limit of the fuse the other circuits would melt wiring before drawing over 50 amps and blowing that fuse
Not to mention blowing their own lesser fuse first
The ignition circuit do not carry that much power
They control relays that switch the power circuits
And there are a lot of RVs out there on this W22 chassis
I think
An on going wiring problem would have been noticed and brought to attention
Find the per fuse for the abs and remove it for testing purposes
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

We will all be sending good thoughts your way.

My house battery continuous duty solenoids draw 0.88 of an amp each.

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Tomorrow night I will have the last internet connection until I am admitted to cardiac ICU.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
ANY ignition signal anywhere can power relay coil 1/8th amp. Use a real breaker not a toy breaker. Solenoid shaped relay works fine for this job. Tomorrow night I will have the last internet connection until I am admitted to cardiac ICU.

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
I found it at the top. Directly across from the ign switch. Its probably part of the ign harness, in that it affects the jacks and starter system. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. Its the top shroud on mine. good hunting. It only happened when I put the wheel all of the way up to get out of the seat.

2005bounder35e
Explorer
Explorer
I removed bottom of colum checked wires didn't see or smell anything,but I will wrap harness with rubber as suggested. I would install a relay but not sure where or what to cut it into. Thanks for all the ideas.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent find CM!

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the shroud under the steering wheel. Look for a large wire bundle that crosses a sharp edge. Located across the top. I used a bike inner tube to cover the sharp edge. Found this situation on two W-22's.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Short explanation:

Wiring is FUBAR. Take the load OFF that switch circuit using a relay or you're gonna pay through the snot box. Chassis wiring FUBAR overloading will cause connector and component overload and failure. I made a lot of money from folks who doubted this.

2005bounder35e
Explorer
Explorer
Fuse blew while running in park, dash air on high radio on, rear camera on, e brake on, foot on brake. Released e brake pull into drive that's when fuse blew to pull out of campground. Didn't know slides and jacks were on that fuse until we got to next campground later that night.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Does that circuit use an eight gauge wire? If yes, it is too small of capacity. Feed the jack power with a relay. When manufacturers design chassis circuits they have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that an extra, large load, is going to be powered. Or, to put it another way: Are you ready to deal with burned connectors? I say this from experience. The last one was yesterday. A Winnebugger. I showed Gabriel what to do and he installed a relay for the jacks, then repaired the melted and burned connections.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Because I push the alternator charging circuit *hard* I replaced the 60 amp fuse with a 50 amp self resetting circuit breaker.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2005bounder35e
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know the the slides and jacks didn't work until later,I had everything on in park when I released the e brake and put in drive noticed ac and radio went off then noticed abs light and rear camera and step didn't retract with engine running. Later tried jacks and slide,not working. Couldn't find anything loose or burnt. Next day bought new fuses it held, everything worked. Check everything for last 4 days still no problems. Wondering when and if it will happen again. Thanks for quick responses wish I had posted when it happened. Going to try breaker first. Thanks again for the help keep ideas coming.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a better idea for you to start out with. Use a clamp on DC ammeter over this feeder wire. Then turn on ALL IGNITION 2 (accessories). Flip your ignition switch ON, then measure total current. How many amps? Write it down.

Leave Everything turned on (have the engine running if you wish)

Then

Cycle the jacks

Did it blow the fuse? If so, WHEN? When you first toggled the jack switch or after a few seconds? If instant failure, turn off accessories and test the jacks by themselves.

If the fuse blows when the trailer jacks are working, no big deal. Install a TYCO relay and 30 amp self-resetting circuit breaker. Fuses have a weak feature. They can get hot again and again and again, and anneal to become softer and softer. They can sag (you can see it). Then they'll break. They'll break under a 5 amp load if the wire shunt gets brittle enough. The trick is to not load the fuse close to it's capacity.