cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 Dutchman Dorado - Ford 450 Super Duty and transmission

fherladca
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone has had experience with this particular motor and transmission? Have had Fords in the past with major transmission problems. This RV has 24,600 mi or about 40,000 km on it and a clean Carfax report. Of course, I will have it mechanically inspected before making an offer, but would like to go into this negotiation with some feedback from people in the know, who may have had/driven one of these units. Thanks for any info you can share.
6 REPLIES 6

fherladca
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you ALL very much for your extremely valuable info. Nothing like having people with actual experience give you advice; can't be beat. It's a significant investment for me and I am very grateful for your input.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ford E series powertrain (which is what you're talking about) is generally quite reliable. Zillions of cargo vans are used and abused in the trades with it. There are, of course, a very few oddball lemons, as with any vehicle, but generally speaking it will outlast the rest of the motorhome with only basic reasonable care and feeding.

The engine does need to rev pretty high for a truck engine to produce good power, and can be a bit noisy doing so. It also is perfectly capable of working hard for extended periods of time if needed without trouble, despite perhaps sounding like it might thrash itself to bits. If you don't let it rev, it will probably seem rather underpowered and wimpy.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm just shy or 200 k kilometers. No transmission or engine issues of any kind. Mine is from 2005.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
If that is the E450 SuperDuty cutaway series, it is probably the same combo as our 06, V10 with the 5 spd Torque shift transmission. We have not had any problems with the engine or transmission. Adequate power for our 29' pulling the CRV.
Others have reported this combination engine and transmission bullet proof.
Our only chassis work done was the brakes, other than regular maintenance.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My friends with Fords don't have transmission issues.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t no this one ,but I,m 73 drove fords since I was 15 never had a tranny problem. and car fax no,s nothing only what somebody else put on the computer. get the vin # head to a dealer and have it run, you,ll get the facts .good luck hope it turns into a diamond.