cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
21 REPLIES 21

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest space I have is roughly 120 x 60 (maybe a bit smaller). Two panels just barely squeaks in there and would be in a shadow at some point in the day. One big panel would fit and be short enough to move around to the best spot. If I used the other locations on the roof, I would need a lot smaller panels to fit. I'll probably end up with the Rogue 30A (especially now that they included the data converter for free). That should allow one big one and maybe 2-3 small 12V's in series if I wanted to expand.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 130w 12v panel is 26.1 by 59.0 Three of those side by each is 59 by 78.4.

Series with MPPT or parallel with PWM or MPPT
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
The MX panels are sold out.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see the Sharp is 39.1 by 64.6 so two would be say 79 by 65.

Scroll down for specs here---ignore the crazy price she is asking "up here" ๐Ÿ˜ž

http://www.wegosolar.com/products.php?product=-250-Watt-Sharp-Solar-Panel

One thing with two 250s is you could go with two $100 MPPT controllers. Not sure what you would pay for a single controller that can do the big watts.
Photo in Profile

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius,

Thanks for that link. I wanted to put two 200+W panels head to toe but it would be a squeeze so a single 77" long panel will fit easily. And I have 60" of width available so no problems there either.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
I have and I'd really like to get a 300+W panel but can't find one (I wonder if SB could get one...when I'm ready to buy I'll ask them). I have an unusual roof in that I have space for one really big panel and maybe some really small additional panels so I'd really like to make that big space count. I might settle on the 250W Sharp that SB sells.

Room up there for 77.2โ€ x 51.5โ€? 390 watts http://www.grapesolar.com/specs-390w-mono-gs-s-390-ts.html http://www.freecleansolar.com/390W-solar-panel-Grape-GS-S-390-TS-mono-p/gs-s-390-ts.htm http://solarenergypanelslink.blogspot.com/2012/01/grape-solar-gs-s-390-ts-390-watt.html http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-390-Watt-Monocrystalline-Solar-Panel-GS-S-390-TS/202959964#.U... Home Depot wants too much for them, but at least you might pick it up.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
MX solar went out of business in June of last year. There probably isn't any warranty. I'd at least check what option you have if you receive any DOA.

Also note these are 24V panels, you're going to need a fairly expensive MPPT charge controller if you plan on using them on an RV.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Have you looked at the newer higher watt panels? They may give you better harvest density if your roof will accommodate the size. For price, it will be hard to beat SB's $.67/watt.
I have and I'd really like to get a 300+W panel but can't find one (I wonder if SB could get one...when I'm ready to buy I'll ask them). I have an unusual roof in that I have space for one really big panel and maybe some really small additional panels so I'd really like to make that big space count. I might settle on the 250W Sharp that SB sells.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Odd that the panel weight is 48.5 pounds but the shipping weight is 130 pounds. That is a heavy crate.

It's probably UPS Oversize rate. In an oversize situation, you pay for "dimensional weight", not actual weigh. That's how you can have a very large 10 lb package and be charged 70 lbs by UPS once you punch the dims into the shipping system.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
westend wrote:

Mena, that's the same panel I have on my rig. I'm pleased with it so far. It operates at rated numbers and appears to be a good piece of work.
Thanks for that info. Good to know. Eventually I'll be getting some solar. Hopefully before the summer.

It's a good time to be a buyer of panels.:)

I think the MX-Solar 235w is a good panel, double formed aluminum frame and a high rated film and substrate. It operates better in low light than I had hoped. Have you looked at the newer higher watt panels? They may give you better harvest density if your roof will accommodate the size. For price, it will be hard to beat SB's $.67/watt.

An MX-solar spokesman said the company couldn't compete at the price levels of the Asian flooded market and post-flood, also. He said it cost them more to make the panel than they could sell it. Mine is labeled "Made in USA".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

Mena, that's the same panel I have on my rig. I'm pleased with it so far. It operates at rated numbers and appears to be a good piece of work.
Thanks for that info. Good to know. Eventually I'll be getting some solar. Hopefully before the summer.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
For black friday they had 270w for $175.50. I thought about a pair but that's just a bit more than I want to run through a Eco-W.

BTW most auctions with free shipping for the ECo-W end between $80 an $90.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget the cost of an MPPT controller for it-another 100 or three. There is the Eco-worthy at $102 and a Tracer for about $140 before you jump to the big bucks ones.
Photo in Profile