cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 Amp RV to a 50 Amp post - Surge protectors and such

ZZSPIRAL1
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be a difference in opinion on whether it's "safe" to use a dog bone to connect 30 amp RV up to a 50 Amp post. What's your opinion?

Additionally, I would like to order a surge protector, and I'm leaning toward one that's 30 amps. In your opinion, is it safe to connect a 30 amp surge protector to a 50 amp post using a dog bone? Note: There's not a 50 amp RV in my future.

One more question, what do you use as a surge protector (if any) when your RV is connected to a receptacle at home? I guess these receptacles are 15 or 20 amps. Truth is, I don't know if mine are 15 or 20. It probably doesn't matter anyway, on the condition the equipment (e.g. the surge protector) is rated for more than 20 amps.

I'm amazed at the considerations that go into an electrical system. Thanks in advance for your input.......
40 REPLIES 40

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Denny & Jami wrote:
CA Traveler before you start saying it's safe to hook to a 30 to 50 I suggest you look at the way some of the 30 amp cords are connected to the inside the trailer.
My initial connection is in a metal J-box.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ZZSPIRAL1 wrote:
Hey Denny: The house was built in 2001. It's a GFI receptacle, located in the garage. Are you saying I shouldn't need a surge protector?
GFIs protect against ground faults - ie current leaks to ground like your rig frame. A "surge protector" protects against surges.

"Surge protector" is a commonly used to refer to a variety of protection devices. A true surge protector protects only against electrical transients - ie very short term voltage spikes.

A power protector also protects against miswired power plugs and high/low voltage. The PI EMS HW30C would be a good addition which requires installation. Or even the portable equivalent.

There are many posts on these boards pro/con about needing these devices. In 2004 with a more electronic intensive rig I installed a PI EMS HW50C. It's protected me with 2 miswired CG plugs and numerous cases of low voltage at 30A CGs. And in one case 160V which would have let the smoke out of the electronics.

Needless to say power protectors cost more. :B

Bob
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
CA Traveler before you start saying it's safe to hook to a 30 to 50 I suggest you look at the way some of the 30 amp cords are connected to the inside the trailer.
Care to explain?

X2????
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Using a standard adapter to plug a 30 amp RV into a 50 amp pedestal is perfectly safe in all conditions.

For a 30 amp RV I have and recommend the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C.
No display or portable is fine also.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Care to explain?

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Golden_HVAC wrote:
CA Traveler has all of hte above right, there is not much to add.

I have found that the only dedicated 20 amp receptacles in a home are the two located in the laundry room, unless one was installed after the home was built. It is a code requirement for most homes built after 1960.

The typical receptacle in the garage is shared by several bedrooms, and other areas of the house.

Fred.
Our 2006 build house has an amazing GFI circuit. It has 250' of 14ga wire on a 15A CB. The first garage plug is the GFI and there are 8 total plugs. Imagine what happened when I plugged my saw into the last plug not knowing the circuit. I was 100% sure that the circuit was a code violation. It's not as there is no limit on the number of plugs or wire length on a circuit. There are 3 garage plugs in 2 garages, one utility room plug and 4 outside plugs.

Fortunately each garage also has a dedicated 20A plug and I installed a 50A RV plug.

Bob

ZZSPIRAL1
Explorer
Explorer
Denny & Jami wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
ZZSPIRAL1 wrote:
There seems to be a difference in opinion on whether it's "safe" to use a dog bone to connect 30 amp RV up to a 50 Amp post. What's your opinion?Yes it's safe. The chances of your cord or RV wiring to the CB panel drawing more than 30A is rather remote. Sure it can happen but not likely.

Additionally, I would like to order a surge protector, and I'm leaning toward one that's 30 amps. In your opinion, is it safe to connect a 30 amp surge protector to a 50 amp post using a dog bone? Note: There's not a 50 amp RV in my future. Yes it's safe.

One more question, what do you use as a surge protector (if any) when your RV is connected to a receptacle at home? I guess these receptacles are 15 or 20 amps. Truth is, I don't know if mine are 15 or 20. It probably doesn't matter anyway, on the condition the equipment (e.g. the surge protector) is rated for more than 20 amps I prefer the Progressive Industry full power protectors. The hardwired version means it's always installed are used.

I'm amazed at the considerations that go into an electrical system. Thanks in advance for your input.......

As far as how the rec are wired in a house it depends on how old your house is and whether it was built to the NEC and inspected. If it's on the newer side the rec in the gauge is on a separate circuit that is GFCI protected. Plugging your trailer into any rec is fine but you will only get the amperage that the circuit is rated for.

Denny

Hey Denny: The house was built in 2001. It's a GFI receptacle, located in the garage. Are you saying I shouldn't need a surge protector?

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
ZZSPIRAL1 wrote:
There seems to be a difference in opinion on whether it's "safe" to use a dog bone to connect 30 amp RV up to a 50 Amp post. What's your opinion?Yes it's safe. The chances of your cord or RV wiring to the CB panel drawing more than 30A is rather remote. Sure it can happen but not likely.

Additionally, I would like to order a surge protector, and I'm leaning toward one that's 30 amps. In your opinion, is it safe to connect a 30 amp surge protector to a 50 amp post using a dog bone? Note: There's not a 50 amp RV in my future. Yes it's safe.

One more question, what do you use as a surge protector (if any) when your RV is connected to a receptacle at home? I guess these receptacles are 15 or 20 amps. Truth is, I don't know if mine are 15 or 20. It probably doesn't matter anyway, on the condition the equipment (e.g. the surge protector) is rated for more than 20 amps I prefer the Progressive Industry full power protectors. The hardwired version means it's always installed are used.

As far as how the rec are wired in a house it depends on how old your house is and whether it was built to the NEC and inspected. If it's on the newer side the rec in the gauge is on a separate circuit that is GFCI protected. Plugging your trailer into any rec is fine but you will only get the amperage that the circuit is rated for.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler has all of hte above right, there is not much to add.

I have found that the only dedicated 20 amp receptacles in a home are the two located in the laundry room, unless one was installed after the home was built. It is a code requirement for most homes built after 1960.

The typical receptacle in the garage is shared by several bedrooms, and other areas of the house.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW Most home plugs are rated for 15A and there are multiple drops on a 20A circuit. Hence the power available to the RV could be limited. The best plug for you would be a 30A plug followed by a dedicated 20A plug.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ZZSPIRAL1 wrote:

Bob