cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 - 6 Volt Batteries - Which Battery Tender?

bccsrc
Explorer
Explorer
So I have 4 6 volt batteries. I can't decide which would work best for me. I get tired of filling these batteries up with distilled water every 1-2 months.

Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery ChargerBattery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger

or

Battery Tender 022-0165-DL-WH 12-Volt 2-Bank Battery Management SystemBattery Tender 022-0165-DL-WH 12-Volt 2-Bank Battery Management System

I'm not sure if I could use the 2 bank system, and charge each set of batteries or not.
2007 Itasca Sunova 34A, Workhorse Chassis, 3 Slides, Winegard Road Trip - In Motion Satellite

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A, Edge Juice W/ Attitude

2011 Polaris Sportsman Touring 550 EPS, 2005 Yamaha Raptor 660R
13 REPLIES 13

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I'll only add that if you need watering more than every 6 months, something in your charging is not right !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
doughere wrote:
First you need to find out what the voltage is that you are floating at. If it is floating above 13.25 (at normal temperatures) you need to do something (or at least keep watering regularly).

My two 6 Volt GC's need watering no more than twice a year using a PD9245 and later a PD9260. I now have 120 watts of solar mounted flat on the RV using a cheap PWM charger with the same results. A gallon of distilled water lasts years.

I'd think a good converter would be worth the investment in better battery reliability, and probably better charging. A small solar system would also do a good job; some would recommend a temperature compensated charger, but my experience would indicate that much sophistication is not needed (I live in North Carolina, so our temperature swings are not near as bad as other places in the country).

Regards,
Doug

Yup! What Doug said. I would guess that the converter in your rig is overcharging the batteries.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
First you need to find out what the voltage is that you are floating at. If it is floating above 13.25 (at normal temperatures) you need to do something (or at least keep watering regularly).

My two 6 Volt GC's need watering no more than twice a year using a PD9245 and later a PD9260. I now have 120 watts of solar mounted flat on the RV using a cheap PWM charger with the same results. A gallon of distilled water lasts years.

I'd think a good converter would be worth the investment in better battery reliability, and probably better charging. A small solar system would also do a good job; some would recommend a temperature compensated charger, but my experience would indicate that much sophistication is not needed (I live in North Carolina, so our temperature swings are not near as bad as other places in the country).

Regards,
Doug

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Skip those and get the 5 amp

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0157-1-Waterproof-Charger/dp/B002DU3S9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automo...

Better suited to recharge before it floats.

Actually the 20a high frequency model is even better but a bit pricey.

But honestly a better converter or temperature compensated solar would be my preference.
Post the converter model and the current battery voltage for best answers.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you don't wish to water at all consider agm technology. These can be deep cycled safely.

Marine batteries which have less antimony than six volt golf cart batteries may require less watering, too. You may have to avoid going below 50% EVER.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When my U-2200 six volt GC-2 class batteries were new I had to water ever 10-14 months, Progressive Dynamics 9180 with charge wizard fed them.

A good 3 stage converter is the best battery minder you can get.

However, if you want a "Bench" maintainer.... I think they make one designed to charge 4 12 volt car batteries in parralel.. your two pair would be 4-8 Automotive batteries so the 4 bagger should work

Make sure it has only one output though, designed to charge 4 of them in parallel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bccsrc wrote:
No, I just let it sit at my house and use it once a year and make the payment each month,:S
That sucks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
6s do require watering while on a float, so you might not gain much by switching float chargers. If your time on float is long and your camping time is short, you might do better by disconnecting the batts in between charging them up to full episodes.

6s are meant to be cycled and don't like long times on float due to the antimony. Could be a factor in your situation?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd add a modest solar system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bccsrc
Explorer
Explorer
No, I just let it sit at my house and use it once a year and make the payment each month,:S
2007 Itasca Sunova 34A, Workhorse Chassis, 3 Slides, Winegard Road Trip - In Motion Satellite

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it in storage?

bccsrc
Explorer
Explorer
I just plug the RV into power. I think the system is over charging and it might be better to get something that shuts off charging when the batteries don't need it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you watering your batteries because of overcharging?