cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6V battery won't charge

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
Took my trailer out of storage for the winter a few weeks ago.

I made a bad decision and left the batteries in over the winter. It was a crazy time just before I put it in storage and it just wasn't a priority.

I have 2 6V batteries, bought about a year ago.

When I got the trailer home, batteries weren't charging from the solar system or when the trailer was plugged in. Took them out, filled them up with distilled water, tried charging them inside as a 12V cell, nothing. Disconnected them, and charged one no problem as a 6V. The other won't charge, voltage is staying low.

Any suggestions of ideas to try? Or is one battery lost?
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
New battery time. Sounds like the bad one has a shorted cell.

One thing that caught my attention is you had to add distilled. This should have been done LAST YEAR before sroring then charge and EQULIZE if it's done as part of your pre-store. .If done like a month before storage and bouncing down the road just Charge. Then disconnect when you store.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
From the few replies and my general thoughts, yes, lesson learned, might need a couple new ones.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy new ones....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
What
Kind
Of
Chargers
Are
You
Using?

I have had to goose 6 cell batteries with 16.5 volts for a half an hour before they even started to take a charge.

And in excess of 8.2 volts on a three cell battery.

If you impress this grade of voltage and the battery starts bubbling very vigorously right off the bat chances are it's gone bad.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Odds are it froze and suffered mechanical damage. Discharged batteries freeze pretty easily.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Since they are flooded cell with screw caps, I think you can add an electrolytic restorer to each cell. You could also de-sulpher the plates with a special charger they make for that.

Battery shops do all that for you but it's usually cheaper to do it yourself and much easier to just buy new batteries.

You want to get them as a pair too.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
CptSydor wrote:
Any suggestions of ideas to try? Or is one battery lost?

Question is - did you disconnect the batteries before storing the trailer? If not, those batteries are pooched ... but you'll want to replace both.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380