cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C compressor not kicking on

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a used 32 foot Hornet by Damon Corp for deerlease. A/C ran this summer (although it wasn't super cold) and when the compressor was running it would kick it off anytime to turned on s light or any other electronic. Doesn't make sense being on different circuits? Now the compressor will not kick on. The thermostat just keeps clicking and nothing happens. I just replaced all three capacitors today and still nothing. Cleaned the coil with foam cleaner at same time.

Any ideas? Bad thermostat maybe? Fan works when you put to on.

Thanks,
17 REPLIES 17

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer
Negative. Plugged directly I to 30A receptacle.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't notice. Are you using and extension cord?

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy is at the lease now. Turning battery on didn't change anything. He said if he used on rather than auto it came on and ran so it looks like the thermostat is bad.

I still don't understand what would cause the compressor to kick off as soon as you turn anything else on?

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer
I have the battery switch turned off and I'm using just shore power. Should I turn it back on?

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Separate circuits between 12V and 120V yes. But the a/c is controlled using the same 12V circuit. I would check battery and thermostat connections and voltages.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone?

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer
Also any ideas why turning on a light it anything else would have made the compressor kick off when it was working? They should to totally separate circuts being the lighting goes through the 12v side and the a/c though the line voltage side.

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Gcworth wrote:
A/C ran this summer (although it wasn't super cold)

Now the compressor will not kick on. The thermostat just keeps clicking and nothing happens. I just replaced all three capacitors today and still nothing. Cleaned the coil with foam cleaner at same time.

Thanks,

It wasn't very cold, now it won't cycle. If there's low (or no) refrigerant it won't allow the compressor to run so you don't burn it up running the system dry.

It ran today. I swapped the capacitors and let it sit on auto and it finally kicked on and ran for about an hour. It turned off them about 5 min later it came back on.

Where is the limiter switch at if it needs replacing? Also how can you recharge the coolant? I don't see any valves like on a car or house a/c unit.

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Gcworth wrote:
I have the battery turned off. I'm only running the 30A 240V shore power. Where should I test it at to check for the 12.6V? The inverter lugs Or are those still line voltage off the breaker?

ihope your not on 30amp 240 volt if so you have fried things in the trailer

No it's a typo. It's on 30A 120v not 240.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gcworth wrote:
A/C ran this summer (although it wasn't super cold)

Now the compressor will not kick on. The thermostat just keeps clicking and nothing happens. I just replaced all three capacitors today and still nothing. Cleaned the coil with foam cleaner at same time.

Thanks,

It wasn't very cold, now it won't cycle. If there's low (or no) refrigerant it won't allow the compressor to run so you don't burn it up running the system dry.

MrWizard
rv service is 30amp 120v 3 wire
or
50amp 240v 4 wires
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Gcworth wrote:
I have the battery turned off. I'm only running the 30A 240V shore power. Where should I test it at to check for the 12.6V? The inverter lugs Or are those still line voltage off the breaker?

ihope your not on 30amp 240 volt if so you have fried things in the trailer

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
If the thermostat is turning on the fan then your 12v is working. Since you mentioned it wasn't cooling well last summer, then it could be a low freon level safety switch that is keeping your compressor from engaging.

Gcworth
Explorer
Explorer