cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A "cheater plug" in along with a Honda EU 2000i ????

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All
We have an electrical question as follows--

For our first time we plan to use a cheater plug at Sebastian State Park where all that is offered is 30 amp service. One arm of this cheater plug will plug into the 30 amp side of the shore power station & the other arm from this "cheater plug" will plug into the 15 amp side of the shore power station giving us up to 45 amp service into our power line. The only potential problem is that if the 15 amp side of the shore power station is GFI protected, this Cheater plug will not work, as the GFI breaker will trip to off.

Our question is, if this 15 amp plug in can not be used by us due to the GFI breaker, can we use our Honda Generator EU 2000i to plug into as an alternative to the 15 amp power & not negatively affect anything in the coaches electrical system ?

We feel the Honda will run more quietly & use less gas than our Onan 7.7

We'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions here. Thanks !!

PS; we are aware that with 30 amps you only run one a/c & nothing else like a microwave, coffee pot etc.

PSS; what is the difference between running the onboard Onan 7.7 & running the Honda instead ?
Bill in sunny Ormond by the Sea FL
2014 31'SA Allegro Open Road
20 REPLIES 20

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
wtfjr wrote:
If the GFI outlet senses current through the ground terminal it will trip.

Incorrect! The GFCI outlet monitors current between hot and neutral. If more is going out on the hot than is coming back on the neutral it assume the current is flowing through something (someone) else and trips.

With a cheater type setup it is possible for current from the 15a plug to return on the 30a neutral which is what causes the trip. Has nothing to do with the ground plug.

Seriously, what is big deal about "surviving" on 30 amps? maybe you need to find a different CG?

Sounds great, BUT my wife likes to fish here better then anywhere else, They only offer 30 amp service on a very good day.
What's a hubby to do ??

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wtfjr wrote:
If the GFI outlet senses current through the ground terminal it will trip.

Incorrect! The GFCI outlet monitors current between hot and neutral. If more is going out on the hot than is coming back on the neutral it assume the current is flowing through something (someone) else and trips.

With a cheater type setup it is possible for current from the 15a plug to return on the 30a neutral which is what causes the trip. Has nothing to do with the ground plug.

Seriously, what is big deal about "surviving" on 30 amps? maybe you need to find a different CG?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually .... Removing the ground pin on the 15 amp plug (If using the Honda) would make no difference as I believe that inside the Honda that pin is N/C. (it is how Id make it)

If plugged into the park's 20 amp outlet: eemerphile1 is correct, it will not work. For reasons he explained and I also have stated in many threads.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
wtfjr wrote:
The below is a suggestion received & I wanted to hear what the board thought of it?

"...Remove the ground from the 15 amp plug of the adapter by breaking off the ground prong of the 15 amp plug of the adapter...."

Removing the ground is a stupid (dangerous) suggestion and won't work anyhow. The GFCI monitors the current on the hot and neutral, not the ground.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Besides if the Honda is powering the side with air conditioning... good chance you will be feeling the heat.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think your neighbors would like to hear the generator running even if the state campground allowed them to be used.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
The below is a suggestion received & I wanted to hear what the board thought of it ??????

""On your question on how to hook up your RV using your RV adapter. If it is the type of adapter with two plugs, one 30 amp and the other 15 amp, you may be able to get it to work with the GFI outlet at the campground. Remove the ground from the 15 amp plug of the adapter by breaking off the ground prong of the 15 amp plug of the adapter. To use, plug the 30 amp plug into the campground 30 amp outlet, and plug the 15 amp plug of the adapter into the 15 amp GFI outlet of the campground. Make sure the 15 amp plug is positioned as if it still had the ground pin, so the polarity is correct. This is safe as your RV will still have a ground connection via the 30 amp plug.
That should work. Just so the ground wire of the 15 amp adapter plug is not connected to the GFI outlet ground. Make sure to maintain the polarity of the 15 amp plug so the hot and common wires are connected as if the ground pin was there. As long as there is no other problem, this should work.

What happens: If the GFI outlet senses current through the ground terminal it will trip. Having the 30 amp and 15 amp plug connected to the camp's 30 and 15 amp outlets' ground, (via the adapter) the two ground terminals of the camp's outlets will be connected together. There will always be a small current flow from one outlet ground to the other, and the 15 amp GFI outlet will trip. Removing the ground connection will break the contact, and no current will flow from one outlet to the other.""

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Rent two sites, and use the 30a outlet from each ... maybe sites that are back to back rather than side to side so you don't need as much extension cord.

Running a generator at a state park that provides electrical hookups sounds like a big faux pas to me... plus several of the Florida State Parks website have this listed in the rules:

"Generators are not allowed in the campsites."

Interesting phrasing, giving the rangers a lot of enforcement leeway - a strict interpretation could be that mere possession of a generator is against the law whether it's operating or not.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wtfjr wrote:
....we are aware that with 30 amps you only run one a/c & nothing else like a microwave, coffee pot etc.

We have 30A service and have no problem running either the microwave or coffee pot with the a/c running. I keep the fridge on electric but the HW heater on gas.

What you are proposing sounds like a dangerous mixture....

Also interesting commentary that we can't live with a mere 30a when "camping"....

If you really need full 50a, then run the Onan, that's what it's there for. Although not sure your neighbors will appreciate that.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Better to just use the regular 30a adapter that feeds both sides.
Watch your voltage but two air conditioners may work. Keep the fridge and water heat on propane only.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jack, the Honda's do that automatically.. HOWEVER my answer in the OTHER thead on this subject tells how to figure out if it will work.

I will explain

IF, as in the case of the cheater box I have, the two 30 amp (in my case) or the 30 and 20 amp plugs feed different legs One feeding L-1 only, the other L-2 only, then it will work.. In this box only white and bare/green are common, BlACK (The hot wires) are independent of each other.

I still do not recommend it.. But it should work. Likly NOT the way the O/P thinks it will, but it should work.

If however the black wire is common (Very dangerous) it will not work.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
wtfjr wrote:

...we are aware that with 30 amps you only run one a/c & nothing else like a microwave, coffee pot etc....

You should be able to run the A/C and at least one other appliance, maybe two depending on appliance. We can operate the converter, A/C and microwave at same time on 30a.

I don't suggest what you are considering doing. It would be better to run a separate extension cord to whatever appliance you want to run.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer depends on the cheater plug.. NOTE that I do NOT recommend this.

But on some of the cheaters (like the one I have) the 30 amp feeds one leg and the 20 (mine are both 30 but you use an adapter on the 20 side) feeds the other leg.. IF that is how yours is set up it may well work.. Likely not the way you expect however, but it may well work.

But only if the only wires common to both legs are white and green/bare NOT if the black wire is common.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
How would you sync the 60 cycle input from the generator to the park power pole. Impossible to do. Probably destroy generator and cause harm to park power.