cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC duct lleaks

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last fall while the AC was on in my trailer, I went to move the roof antenna, and noticed a lot of cool air coming down around the antenna crank area. I checked the duct outlets at the ceiling and just about all six of them were leaking, or had no seal at all. Whatever they had used at the factory had dried out and came off. So I removed each duct and resealed them.

One response I got from the posting was check ducts at AC unit too. About a week ago we were in trailer with AC on, and when I went to move antenna, still felt a lot of air.

I took the grill down, then the metal plate that secures unit to ceiling/roof. I could not believe what I saw. most of the supposed aluminum seal was gone and a whole lot of air was blowing into the ceiling joist space. Sealed everything up with a commercial quality aluminum duct tape. Tested it out, and ZERO leaking now. Maybe the AC will work better now, as I will be cooling the inside of the trailer and not the ceiling cavity. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dr Quick
2 REPLIES 2

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Steve it is very common. All three of my 5th wheels needed the ducts sealed. I too used a good aluminum tape.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Very common. I have had to reseal with foil tape the duct work and vent openings on all 3 of the brand new rvs I have owned. Not a lot of effort goes into that detail at the factories.
Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.