cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC Silencer

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m sure that a lot of us have noticed how noisy our roof top A/C units can be.

Looking at the latest issue of Family RVing, we noticed an ad from, of all places, WackO Products, for an RV A/C Silencer. The units are $189 each, and we have two AC units. We are seriously thinking of getting two of them, but before we do:

Has anyone here ever tried one of their units, and how well did it work?

Also, their website ordering page asks for a Coupon Code to get a discount, does anyone know of a working Coupon Code for WackO Products?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give us!
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL
16 REPLIES 16

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, they only work for Ducted. I thought I saw a non ducted kit, but I was mistaken. Doug

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
does this work for the ductless ones as well. my ac drives me nuts. I rather sweat

apparently it doesn't.

nope it is for ducted AC units. in fact a downside is you can switch between ducted and ductless operation like many of the OEM units allow.

It is designed for any Dometic or RVP AC unit that has the 16 by 16 inch interior ceiling filter assbly. Ducted or non ducted. Doug

On my coleman unit, the silencer doesn't allow non ducted use, only ducted use. Unless they have changed it recently.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
does this work for the ductless ones as well. my ac drives me nuts. I rather sweat

apparently it doesn't.

nope it is for ducted AC units. in fact a downside is you can switch between ducted and ductless operation like many of the OEM units allow.

It is designed for any Dometic or RVP AC unit that has the 16 by 16 inch interior ceiling filter assbly. Ducted or non ducted. Doug

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:

apparently it doesn't.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have made improvements just by balancing the fans. I use a lawn mower blade balance tool.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

apparently it doesn't.

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want one as my AC is right overhead of the bed (over feet).

I took out the little air deflector that points the air up or down and that reduced noise a minuscule amount.
Air is the noise maker.

I am just too cheap so far to drop the nickel.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never tried it and viewing the video by Wacko it is not something I personally would need. Any modification that deletes the direct drop down flow feature of AC and heat pump is a deal breaker for us.

We have had 6 RVs (over 3 decades) including TTs, 5ers, and class A rigs, yes the ACs were somewhat loud but not overly intrusive as it pertains to watching TV or having a conversation, but that's just us.

For anyone that has qualms about AC noise levels in their rig this looks like a promising modification, although many reviews unsurprisingly stated DB reduction was well below manufacturer statements.

It might be a worthy invest since your personal perspective is all that matters anyway. Again we have little issue with the white noise generated by our AC units, we often run the AC fan at night to sleep in noisy campgrounds.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Fabulous design, a large noisy fan, loud compressor and blower motor with a large hole opening into the living area. Sheer brilliance on the part of the RV industry! Wish I had room for a mini split!

jyenter
Explorer
Explorer
We put one on, when it arrived I installed it. Put the fan on high and went in the house and said to my wife "you got to come out and hear this", she always complained how loud the ac was on high. When she came in the 5th wheel she listened and said "ok put the fan on high", I said it is on high. She couldn't believe how quiet it was. Fan on low, its almost silent. I call it the "wife silencer".

Bonus is, as a pervious post mentioned,the filter is top notch much better than the oem.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Best, quietest, and most efficient AC unit ever was our basement AC in our 2003 Winnebago Journey DP . . . but I digress :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a problem for older units. Our TT is a later model and the AC units are no longer inside the unit but strictly on the roof with just vents in the unit. A lot better than anything of the past. I am sure the later RVs are all on board now.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
We have two of them. My brother bought one too. They work well and the filter inside is much superior to the one in the original setup. We full time and the noise from the AC units is incessant in the heat of Central Florida.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I've installed the unit on our coleman Mach III ducted AC unit. Quiet enough to easily carry on a conversation in the trailer, quiet enough to not annoy us. Much quieter than stock. Don't mind having the AC on anymore.

The only downside is that it eliminates the ability to bypass the ducts and vent directly. If the trailer is hot, it was nice to bypass the ducting and get the cold air into the main living area.

For us it was well worth the cost. Yes, it is pretty spendy but it is well designed and easy to install.