cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC won't run in "Auto" Positions on Thermostat

LipschitzWrath
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd ask about another problem I was having with my camper as I wait for my local Yamaha dealer to warranty my parallel cable to see if it fixes my other AC problem...

My 2004 5er has a Coleman Mach 7330D3351 thermostat installed in it. These seem pretty standard but for those unfamiliar, this thermostat has two slide switches.

The first one is the "System" switch. Choices are "Cool", "Fan", "Off", and "Heat". This switch seems to work as intended.

The second switch is the "Fan" switch. It has a "High" and "Low" position for "Auto", and the same "High" and "Low" positions for "On".

The issue I'm having is that it seems like the AC doesn't function in either of the "Auto" positions. I'm not talking about difficulty starting or anything like that, I'm talking about running period.

When the fan switch is in either the high or low "Auto" positions, when I switch the mode to cool, *nothing* happens. However, if I flip the fan switch to either of the "On" positions, the A/C immediately fires up and goes to work.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some sort of time delay that I'm not letting elapse? What should be happening? My gut tells me that the A/C should immediately fire up, and that's definitely not happening.

Assuming there is a problem, what is this indicative of - thermostat failure?

I have tried to contact Coleman Mach but they won't help a mere civilian, they tell me I must take it to a service center (none within 100 miles).

Any help would be appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16

LipschitzWrath
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:

Got the new parallel cable and the generators work fine. I was able to do some testing.

I owe Doug an apology. My thermostat has apparently been working fine the whole time, I just wasn't patient enough. It seems that even if your AC has been off (like mine), any time you put it to the auto positions, it automatically uses the 3-minute delay. I placed it in auto and waited and about 3 minutes later, it fired up and ran fine.

So, as far as what is germane to this topic, it seems my thermostat is fine. For the other gentleman in this thread that was having the same problem, maybe just try waiting 3 minutes. If you have done that, then maybe you have another problem but when you're waiting for your AC to come on in a hot trailer, 3 minutes seems like an eternity.

I also noticed during testing last night that my thermostat does not have the "Built in Time Delay and Fuse Protection" text on the front like the pictures I linked. It obviously has the time delay, but no warning.

Check my other thread for more information but unfortunately, the first start was the only time I was able to get the AC to come on.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
I had the same problem with the same thermostat when I first got my MH.
It is how the switches are located.

Look carefully at your thermostat. They put the high fan switch 'above' the 'auto' switch position.

My guess is if you look closely the lever is pushing into the high fan position not the auto.

I also would always push the temp lever down to 65 when I turned it on the first time. That thermostat temp lever is no where's near the actual temp inside the MH. It could be set where the stat thinks it's hit the desired temp you set it at and doesn't come on.

There is but a ''nano distance between the too positions''. So when you go to push on that ridiculously small lever with a finger, to put it in 'auto' unless you carefully slowly push it up into auto mode before it hits the high fan mode it you will end up into the 'high' fan position. Which will not turn your ac on auto.

But standing up looking at it it visually it looks like it is in the correct position.

I got tired of the situation and found it was easier to push it all the way up and then feel it click to come down one to auto.

And BTW some delays are longer than 3 minutes. Mine is way longer. Keep flipping those switches aback and forth and it will never come on because you are disrupting the delay over and over and over! :W

There are only 4 indents in Fan. The bottom are Lo and High. The Top is HIGH/Auto and Low/Auto. There is NO just Auto between the High and Low. Doug

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with the same thermostat when I first got my MH.
It is how the switches are located.

Look carefully at your thermostat. They put the high fan switch 'above' the 'auto' switch position.

My guess is if you look closely the lever is pushing into the high fan position not the auto.

There is but a ''nano distance between the too positions''. So when you go to push on that ridiculously small lever with a finger, to put it in 'auto' unless you carefully slowly push it up into auto mode before it hits the high fan mode it you will end up into the 'high' fan position. Which will not turn your ac on auto.

But standing up looking at it it visually it looks like it is in the correct position.

I got tired of the situation and found it was easier to push it all the way up and then feel it click to come down one to auto.

I also would always push the temp lever down to 65 when I turned it on the first time. That thermostat temp lever is no where's near the actual temp inside the MH. It could be set where the stat thinks it's hit the desired temp you set it at and doesn't come on.

And BTW some delays are longer than 3 minutes. Mine is way longer. Keep flipping those switches aback and forth and it will never come on because you are disrupting the delay over and over and over! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

LipschitzWrath
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The Timing is NOT every time you start. It can start in a few seconds or up to 2 minutes. It depends on when the last start was. next time it starts in 5 seconds, shut it OFF and then restart. It will take 2 minutes for the compressor to start. Doug

I agree with you 100% - except we aren't talking about short cycling the compressor. We are talking about the AC not working in Auto from a dead cold camper. You were kind enough to provide the excerpt from the operation manual for the thermostat.

Operation Manual wrote:

All cooling functions controlling to setpoint have a short
cycle protection time delay of 3 minutes. There will be no
delay if the cycle OFF time exceeds 3 minutes.

If I walked out to my camper right now, the AC has not even been attempted to start since around 6/30. This is obviously much longer than the 3 minutes referenced in the manual. Thus, there should be no delay. You are talking about a different delay.

Now if I fired up the AC, immediately shut it off, then immediately fired it back up, I would expect to have a 3 minute delay as the short cycle protection time delay would be active.

I guess all this back and forth is really getting us nowhere. I'm being told that I should be able to pick up my new parallel cable from the dealer this evening, so I should be able to try tonight. Unfortunately, I have to use my generators for any testing as I am not fortunate enough to have a 30A shore power service for my camper. I have it hooked to a standard 15A 110V service as it sits now.

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Really interested in this thread because I am having the same problem

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LipschitzWrath wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
LipschitzWrath wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
There is a delay up to 2 minutes before the system activates in Auto mode. Have you waited that 2 minutes? Doug

PS, notice the front of the tstat states built in time delay:B

From your operation manual.

Yes I saw that. However, my understanding of the time delay is that is between compressor cycles to allow pressures to equalize so as to reduce hard starts when the compressor comes back on. I don't believe the time delay referenced on the front of the thermostat housing is in reference to time to start after switching on.

That said, no, I don't believe I have ever waited a full 2 minutes. I will give that a try as soon as (if ever) my local yamaha dealership decides to warranty my parallel cable.

Yes, the delay is also for the Compressor. But, trust me. I WORK on RV's for a living and I do not wait when I enter a HOT RV. I bypass Auto and go straight to HI Cool. The fan starts, but I know the compressor will still take up to 2 minutes. Doug

Doug, I'm not calling you out but that also sounds incorrect. My compressor kicks on within 5 seconds when I put it in high cool. The reason I say this is because that's how long it takes to overload the generator. There is no way that the fan alone would do that. The compressor is involved.

The Timing is NOT every time you start. It can start in a few seconds or up to 2 minutes. It depends on when the last start was. next time it starts in 5 seconds, shut it OFF and then restart. It will take 2 minutes for the compressor to start. Doug

LipschitzWrath
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
LipschitzWrath wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
There is a delay up to 2 minutes before the system activates in Auto mode. Have you waited that 2 minutes? Doug

Yes I saw that. However, my understanding of the time delay is that is between compressor cycles to allow pressures to equalize so as to reduce hard starts when the compressor comes back on. I don't believe the time delay referenced on the front of the thermostat housing is in reference to time to start after switching on.

That said, no, I don't believe I have ever waited a full 2 minutes. I will give that a try as soon as (if ever) my local yamaha dealership decides to warranty my parallel cable.

Yes, the delay is also for the Compressor. But, trust me. I WORK on RV's for a living and I do not wait when I enter a HOT RV. I bypass Auto and go straight to HI Cool. The fan starts, but I know the compressor will still take up to 2 minutes. Doug

Doug, I'm not calling you out but that also sounds incorrect. My compressor kicks on within 5 seconds when I put it in high cool. The reason I say this is because that's how long it takes to overload the generator. There is no way that the fan alone would do that. The compressor is involved.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LipschitzWrath wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

LipschitzWrath
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
LipschitzWrath,

The auto feature only controls the fan. The selector switch must be set to cool or heat for the auto to work.

Try this:

1. move thermostat to extremely high
2. set switch to auto
3. set selector to cool
4. gradually move the thermostat setting down until the air conditioner starts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LipschitzWrath
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
In Auto have you tried it with the temperature setpoint all the way to cold (55F)?

Yes, the temperature slider seems to have no effect.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Try hitting the thermostat down by two clicks, one click doesn't do it for some reason. And you might think about installing a digital unit instead....
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine