cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding Inverter for dry camping

jcarlilesiu
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add an additional battery (have one group 27 now), possibly a solar charging system and an inverter.

I hate that the 120V outlets don't work on battery power. Seems crazy you can't charge a cell phone.

Anyway, I would like to an an inverter. My goal would be to wire it into the system with an automatic transfer switch for shore power/battery power.

Seems awfully involved.

Is the better option adding an inverter with a dedicated female 30 amp outlet on the side of the rv near the front where the batteries are, and simply plug the shore power cable into the inverter when needed?

Seems easy enough, but not "clean". I would really rather add an inverter and transfer switch. Has anybody one that that can explain the process? Does the converter need to stay? Can it go? If the converter is removed, how do the 12V outlets and lights and water pump run? Will they run off of battery power without the converter when on shore power?

Im confused about that one aspect.
86 REPLIES 86

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you are going to bother with a transfer switch, I would urge you to go "whole hog" and install a sub panel so that only those devices you wish to power on the inverter will be active.

Otherwise a simple 30 amp female plug will meet the requirements.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcarlilesiu wrote:
(converter/panel)That would be the easiest way to get at the house 120V circuit, right?
Maybe.. depends on if 'house' means 'the whole house'

I intercepted my shore cable where it enters the coach and connects to the 30a romex to the panel. That way I didn't have to go digging around in the panel.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
jcarlilesiu wrote:
2oldman wrote:
jcarlilesiu wrote:
..install a Go Power! 1000W inverter in the front compartment near the batteries. I will run a 120V wire to the existing converter location and install a ATS.
Why to the converter location?

That is where my panel is located and I want to hardwire the inverter/ATS into the existing circuits.

That would be the easiest way to get at the house 120V circuit, right?
That's what I did. Don't get sidetracked into long 12 volt wire runs. I mounted my Inverter 3' from \ from the batteries and used really thick cables Over 100.00 worth. It still has a little voltage drop.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is an issue. Nobody likes listening to generators while dry camping. The longer the converter to battery cable, the longer it takes the charge the battery. This is not insignificant!

Treat the converter like the inverter. Install it as close as possible to the battery.

BTW, 12 feet of 6 awg cable is not good enough. Use 2 awg.

Ron3rd wrote:
jcarlilesiu wrote:
I'm liking the idea of pulling the converter/charger and installing an inverter/charger.

What about my issue with the distance from the batteries to the converter being about 16 feet?

That's not an issue, but we sure to run the proper gauge of wire. The longer the run, the bigger the wire and the greater the $$! I've got about a 12ft run and if I recall I used 6ga.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcarlilesiu wrote:
I'm liking the idea of pulling the converter/charger and installing an inverter/charger.

What about my issue with the distance from the batteries to the converter being about 16 feet?

That's not an issue, but we sure to run the proper gauge of wire. The longer the run, the bigger the wire and the greater the $$! I've got about a 12ft run and if I recall I used 6ga.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

It looks like you are getting lots of advice and I would hate to confuse you, but here goes.

I suggest that you take into consideration the entire electrical system rather than piece meal it. Batteries, shore power charger (converter), solar charger, generator, inverter(s), transfer switch, and cabling (both DC & AC)...and most importantly, what you want to accomplish and how much you are willing to spend. Then create a plan (road map) of how to get there. You don't have to do it all at once, (leaving you projects for many months) but you may reduce or eliminate having to tear out any prior work by planning this way.

Regarding the transfer switch question. I also originally thought that I wanted to automatically switch from battery to shore (or generator) power and so added one. However, in reality, I am very seldom plugged into any external source of power and when I am, I know it. So when I did my last "remodel" of the electrical system, I replaced the automatic transfer switch with a simple (but not cheap) 30 amp Double Pole Double Throw (center off) toggle switch. Simple, nothing to fail, and the center off position gives the system a brief break before switching between power sources (some devices don't like having power switched off then back on, quickly).

Have fun with your "project" and Merry Christmas,
Steve

jcarlilesiu
Explorer
Explorer
Salvo wrote:
Unless you change your lifestyle while drycamping or install a substantial power plant, your batteries will only last a couple years. That may be a high price to pay just to get toast and electric brewed coffee.

How are you charging the batteries?

jcarlilesiu wrote:

Anybody see a problem with that plan?

We use a generator or shore power now, but am considering adding a solar charger.

jcarlilesiu
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
jcarlilesiu wrote:
..install a Go Power! 1000W inverter in the front compartment near the batteries. I will run a 120V wire to the existing converter location and install a ATS.

That is where my panel is located and I want to hardwire the inverter/ATS into the existing circuits.

That would be the easiest way to get at the house 120V circuit, right?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcarlilesiu wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you change your lifestyle while drycamping or install a substantial power plant, your batteries will only last a couple years. That may be a high price to pay just to get toast and electric brewed coffee.

How are you charging the batteries?

jcarlilesiu wrote:

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just be certain 1000 watts is enough to drive your coffee maker.
2000 watts can run any item but really needs the four batteries.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of Those remotes have dim green lights when "on" you can hardly see. You can plug a receptacle night light or whatever (I use my three light tester) into a receptacle that gives a proper light as a reminder.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

jcarlilesiu
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I think I about got this licked.

So now I am thinking that I will install a Go Power! 1000W inverter in the front compartment near the batteries. I will run a 120V wire to the existing converter location and install a ATS. I also want to mount a remote inverter controller near my other switches.

Upgrade the group 27 battery to 2 or 4 6V and we should be good to go for dry camping.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcarlilesiu wrote:

I did not mess around with my system. The run from the battery bank required about 8' of feed cable but welding guage cable was used so no VD, voltage drop.

The inverter/charger is similar to this one Magnum pure sine wave . Not cheap & should not be comared to lower powered modified sine wave inverters or solar systems which are charging systems, not 120VAC producing systems.

The best inverter is useless without an adequate battery bank to power it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
jcarlilesiu wrote:
I hate that the 120V outlets don't work on battery power. Seems crazy you can't charge a cell phone.

Mine has 2 cigarette light type 12 volt sockets intended to power a TV that take an auto type cell phone charger just fine.