cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

air conditioner trouble

skipper13
Explorer
Explorer
My front air will not cool. It is a dometic that was bought new from CW 5 years ago. Fan works but compressor will not cycle on. Anyone have any ideals on what is wrong and how to fix without getting another new unit.

Thanks
2002 Coachmen Cross Country
Skip and Cindy
10 REPLIES 10

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
skipper13 wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Could be a number of things- what kind of thermostat does it use?

It has a hunter tstat

So, it has the older analog controls- it could be the thermostat, thermostat wire, control board, freeze sensor or something on the roof unit.

First, with the upper unit plugged in and the thermostat calling for cool, I would check for 120 volts between the white and blue wires coming out of the control box- or if you want to unplug the upper unit, you must use a test light. If you do have 120 volts here (or it lights the light), the problem is in the upper unit, if not, the problem is controls.

The freeze sensor in this model is a simply switch- should be open at normal temps (closes near freezing, which shuts down the compressor).

Last would be to short the yellow thermostat lead to ground, which will energize the compressor relay.
-- Chris Bryant

skipper13
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
skipper13 wrote:
My front air will not cool. It is a dometic that was bought new from CW 5 years ago. Fan works but compressor will not cycle on. Anyone have any ideals on what is wrong and how to fix without getting another new unit.

Thanks

Any chance you have an energy management system restricting power?

No energy management system. Hooked to 50 amp service
Skip and Cindy

skipper13
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

It has a hunter tstat
Skip and Cindy

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
skipper13 wrote:

Thanks

Any chance you have an energy management system restricting power?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Robert78121 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Vet Man wrote:
Could need to be charged.

If so, the compressor would still come on. Doug

I thought these units had a low/high pressure cutoff switch, so I'm not sure that's entirely true.

Well lets see. I am a Master Certified RV technician and have been a RV technician for 34 years. I have extensive training by both RVP (Coleman) and Dometic, the major Makers of RV AC units.
NO roof top RV AC unit has any type pressure switch and have not since at least 1974. Doug

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like the starting capacitor may be bad. Search this site for start capacitors... There's been several postings recently on this topic.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Vet Man wrote:

I thought these units had a low/high pressure cutoff switch, so I'm not sure that's entirely true.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Vet Man wrote:

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant