air conditioner

new_brunswick
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Itasca Cambria with a coleman air/heat conditioner
while camping I was running the air and was working good would cycle
on and off just fine then when it came on again heard a noise then
getting no cool air as fan stop running although the compressor was working
any idea as what could be my problem and suggestion would be appreciated.

Tks Joe
4 REPLIES 4

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brown wiring for Fan Run Capacitor might just be standard. Am I seeing a Compressor Start Capacitor behind the others? More I look, probably just the reflection of another capacitor. All our stuff is so rusty I can't recognize a shiny surface...

For the OP, the RUN capacitors will generally have metal cases, like Fred shows. START capacitors usually have plastic cases. You'll always have Fan and Compressor RUN and maybe Compressor START.

We have an appliance parts shop right down the street. It has one of those electronic signs that can say anything. Right now: CAPACITOR CITY

The swimming pool supply store nearby also has capacitors. At stunning, triple-retail, prices. If you can wait, Amazon has a lot of capacitors and many are free shipping. FAN RUN is probably 7.5 mfd at 370VAC, and 440VAC works as well.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this to answer someone else's question.

It shows a bad capacitor, and a good one.

Chances are that your fan capacitor is bad. It might look great, but can measure bad. You would need a capacitance meter to know for sure. I have changed 5- 7 perfectly good looking capacitors in the past year, because their value was out of range. It saves me from changing out otherwise good motors. One was a heavy pump, sure glad I did not need to replace that one!

Golden_HVAC wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Here is a picture of the popped capacitor and the good one on the right.

Fred.

Here is another post that I made, with a picture of the larger compressor capacitor and the smaller fan capacitor.

The picture above, the capacitor actually exploded, while most failures they might look like normal, or look like the top has 'popped up' as shown in the picture on the left, while I have never (in 31 years) seen one where the 'can' part of the capacitor ever came apart.

Golden_HVAC wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
RoyB wrote:
Here is a neat article from google search with some photos...

HARD START CAPACITOR FOR RV A/C

Roy Ken

If you where to click on the link above, you will see several pictures, including the removal of the 4 screws to open the top of the A/C unit on your roof.

Here is a picture of the two capacitors. The smaller silver one is attached to the indoor fan motor.

The larger silver capacitor is the run capacitor for the compressor.

Good luck,

Fred.

Remove the top of the outside unit, and you should see both of the capacitors in there, looking like the picture above this one. If one has popped, then shut off the A/C for this weekend (at the circuit breaker) and Tuesday they should have them at a place like Grainger or Johnstone supply, or most any electrical supplier. Many will not sell to retail buyers, but if you are wearing a company shirt, they will take your cash, if you tell them your personal A/C quit.

I have not seen the capacitors at a place like Home Depot. It is more a motor supply place, or my local HVAC supplier.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your fan motor indeed could be bad.

Do you have a Test Meter, and are you willing/able to test for voltage to the Fan Motor?

Can you check and see if it spins freely? Could be stuck bearings.

Could be its windings or its internal over-temperature cutoff could have opened up.

Or, could be its Fan Run Capacitor has failed. There MUST be a Fan Run Capacitor and a Compressor Run Capacitor. There may also be a Compressor Start Capacitor. You'll have to remove the plastic shroud then a small metal panel on the driver side to access the capacitors. Turn power off first, unless you've worked on A/C before, look but don't touch the capacitors. Just look and see if they appear swollen, burst, or fluid leaking down. It takes a special meter to test them and they have to be discharged first. Or replaced with new or known good capacitors.
In RV terms, the Fan Motor and the Capacitor are inexpensive, about $100 for the Motor and $20 for the Capacitor.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Bad fan