cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airxcel seems to take forever to cool park model

woodland_park
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Airxcel model 46413-812, that's mounted under my park model, that's always seemed to take a long time to cool our 500 sq ft park model. It's a 13,500 BTU unit, so it's plenty big..The park model has skirting all the way around the unit and the skirting is vented with 3 - 2' x 3' screens to allow airflow under the unit.There is no debris in the coil and the inside air return is clean. The airflow out the 4 vents seems very weak to me. It's 7 years old. I don't believe there's a high or low speed fan connection by looking at the diagram. The other day it was 91 degrees here and the A/C unit ran for 5+ hours before it turned off at 77 degrees.
Thanks for any comments
18 REPLIES 18

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Our 12x40 Park Model has a 2 ton unit- ~24,000 btu, so I don't think you have enough capacity for that trailer.
-- Chris Bryant

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
not sure you have a problem or not. If your home was sitting idle in 91 degree heat before cranking up the AC it's going to take a long time to drop the temp to 77 especially with a single 13.5 BTU unit. Everything in the unit will need to cool down. Walls, furniture, appliances all retain heat. If you can test the air temp at a return duct and at a vent. If the air going into the return is 90 and the air coming out is near 70 then then AC unit is doing a decent job. But, pumping 70 degree air into a 90 degree house will take a long time to cool especially in the direct sun. If the AC unit keeps things nice after the initial cool down then don't worry about it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
woodland park wrote:
I have an Airxcel model 46413-812, that's mounted under my park model, that's always seemed to take a long time to cool our 500 sq ft park model. It's a 13,500 BTU unit, so it's plenty big..The park model has skirting all the way around the unit and the skirting is vented with 3 - 2' x 3' screens to allow airflow under the unit.There is no debris in the coil and the inside air return is clean. The airflow out the 4 vents seems very weak to me. It's 7 years old. I don't believe there's a high or low speed fan connection by looking at the diagram. The other day it was 91 degrees here and the A/C unit ran for 5+ hours before it turned off at 77 degrees.
Thanks for any comments

I'm not sure I would call a 13,500 btu unit plenty big for a 500 sqft park unit.
at an average of 10' wide that means your dealing with a 50' long trailer.
If you look at most rv's anything over 35' long usually gets a second AC unit and always gets a 15,000 btu primary.
Remember most rv's have thin walls, and much less insulation than a sticks and bricks house, so the AC requirements will be higher than a comparable sized house.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
woodland park wrote:

"Plenty big"? - for 500 sq ft?? Those owning travel trailers in the 30'+ range, which is half your square footage, will often start thinking about adding a second A/C for sufficient cooling. 'Though yours is a basement model it's hard to believe it's any more capable than a conventional 13,500 BTU roof mount unit and if so I'd say your expectations of this unit are unreasonable.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380