cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternate Solar Panel Dimensions

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
New camper and there is limited space on the roof for solar.
I want 200 want total at least. 2 panes, one, four, does not matter so much.

I am looking for a long thin panel, flexible preferable. I cannot find.

Also, where is a good source other than Amazon? All the manufacturers seem to refer sales to a non-existent dealer, dealers charge double or triple prices.

I could squeeze a 39x18 inch panel in next to AC unit and another behind maybe.

Alternate is to get a big 250w panel and have it hang off the back, over the rear door, like an awning. Camper is fiberglass so I would use VHB tape and not drill holes. This is a TC and would be way higher than the trailer I tow so no clearance issues..
17 REPLIES 17

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I always refer anyone/everyone to "Solar Blvd", they are located here in So. Calif and while I have never ordered from them, it is my go to place to browse. When I finally do go Solar, they are within driving distance for me to save on shipping. While I'd love the 24 volt Panels, their size and my roof don't mix so I'm generally looking at the 12 volt Panel options. Good Luck...
I think SB is gone and closed. ๐Ÿ˜ž I liked them too. Bought all my primary equipment there.

"I believe this company is closed / out of business. Tried to place an order on their website but there was weird error on the website that wouldn't let orders go through. The phone number listed is out of service. So I stopped by the brick and mortar address listed and there is another business occupying the suite. All signs point to no more solar blvd."

https://www.yelp.com/biz/solar-blvd-norco

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I mapped out my roof and determined my panel and controller options. It was apparent that power robbing shadows would prevail unless the panels were raised.

A big cost factor for 12V panels was the much higher $/W. 12V panels would also use more sq footage.

For equivalent panel watts the 60 cell panels with a Morningstar MPPT controller the total cost was $100 greater than 36 cell panels with a PMW controller. Note: This generally applied for 500W+.

Just suggesting that consideration of the overall installation and even future requirements might be worthwhile.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I blamed tariffs for the problems at Solar Blvd back at the time I was shopping, which was around July of last year. Tariffs were all the hot topic at the time. In fact, that was what got me off my duff and moving forward with a solar project. Fear that panel prices were going to skyrocket. The rep at SB I spoke with said things were very volatile in the solar market, and often quotes were only good for 24-48 hours. They didn't know if they should stock up big at prices of the day, or hold off and see.

But that didn't happen. The trade wars didn't last long, and US/China is the only battle left. Turns out almost none of our panels come from China.

I don't pretend to know what happened to Solar Blvd, but solar installations are still going strong across the country, at ever decreasing cost, so it had to be more than just tariffs. Maybe more about fear and uncertainty than actual tariff burden.

I ended up buying my panels from Amazon. It was the best value and least risk for me, but only for 12v panels.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I blame tariffs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OOB as in Out of Business?

To bad as they seemed to have a good solar business.

Bob

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I warned that Solar Blvd was nearing OOB last fall. They had almost no stock at that time, and were not helpful on the phone. Were not keeping their web site stock status up to date even back then.

I had hoped I would be wrong, but it doesn't come as a surprise. I just tried their phone and it is disconnected.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use the larger panels and mount them higher over vents, ACs etc.

Bob

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Homeless by Choice wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
Try AM Solar, Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, Backwoods Solar, or Solar Blvd.

I've bought from Solar Blvd in the past, but went to the site (or should say tried to) today and no website. Anyone delt with them lately? or are the out of business? Always had good prices.

I just went to Solar Blvd website and got the following:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.solarblvd.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

So it appears that the website is in existence but Firefox and my AVG Internet Security won't let it open for me. Thank you Firefox and AVG for the warning.

LeRoy

chrome gives a similar warning. explorer says 404 website not found.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:

I've bought from Solar Blvd in the past, but went to the site (or should say tried to) today and no website. Anyone delt with them lately? or are the out of business? Always had good prices.

I just went to Solar Blvd website and got the following:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.solarblvd.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

So it appears that the website is in existence but Firefox and my AVG Internet Security won't let it open for me. Thank you Firefox and AVG for the warning.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
This one is the probably the same one AM Solar sells except that it's a second and costs a lot less.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
AM Solar has a long skinny panel that's 13.5 wide by 60.6 long.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air Conditioner shroud casts a giant shadow across nearby solar panels. No sense hanging a panel down the back unless that is towards South.

You seem like a good candidate for portable solar. Easy peasy. Just carry the solar panels up on the bed while going down the road, and deploy when you set up camp.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.