cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Needing opinions on solar panel mounting on "C" sloped nose.

glennts
Explorer
Explorer
Recently switched out (3)130w,12v flat mount roof panels for (3)320w, 24v panels and would like to mount a 4th panel on the slope of the nose to catch early morning light. That surface has some flex so I'm not confident there is much plywood under there to just screw mount Z brackets. Another consideration is if the gap under the panel from Z brackets would introduce any lifting air pressure issues while driving. My guess is the air flow after the nose would rise up over the panel much like on an airplane wing.

So as an alternative I'm considering 3M VHB which others have reported success with in roof mounts and use it to secure full length angle mounts or, if I allow for a wire path, VHB the panel directly to the nose surface. This second approach then brings up the heat buildup issue.

A third approach would be to glue mount 1/2" ply that is slightly larger than the panel dimensions directly to the nose to beef up the fiberglass surface and use screw mounted Z brackets for the panel. I'm doing an RV re-paint and will fair the plywood edges with epoxy resin so aesthetically it should look OK.
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
glennts wrote:

pianotuna >> I would use the 4th panel as an awning.

An interesting solution worth considering however sudden wind gusts in the mountains can peak > 50 mph in the blink of an eye and that might be a problem.

Then overbuild the mounting by using angle aluminum and seriously strong metal "props".

Or have the same sort of system that some electric awnings have-where they close using an actuator during wind gusts.

My first battery bank was 875 amp-hours @ 12.6 volts. That gave me 5500 watt-hours usable. My next one will be 700 amp-hours of SiO2 which yields 7000 watt-hours usable and in extremis 8800 watt-hours.

So consider adding another LI battery to the mix.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

glennts
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the responses.

Lwiddis >>960 solar watts isnโ€™t enough?

The panels are feeding a 200a, 24v Lipo4 bank and power the Norcold, a microwave, 2 laptops and 2 external monitors for about 12 hrs/day and occasionally the AC or elec. heater. On full sun days there is no problem with the load but on full cloudy days more capacity is needed. A 320w 24v panel is @ $200 so why not find a way to make it work... there's no more room on the roof.

BFL13 >>I had a panel on the C's roof up front just back from the front cap and almost lost it from wind effect while driving.

For 12 yrs the 3 12v panels flat roof mounted with Z brackets using 1 1/2" roofing screws had no problems. These new 24v panels are considerably larger and even with two mounted just back from the front edge they are fine.

rockylarson >> I would not go with a design that locked me into always parking in a particular direction to function.

The 3 flat roof mounted panels are going to do what they do regardless of orientation. If a nose mount would work for a 4th panel then pointing East, West and especially South would provide some extra advantage.... at least that's my thinking.

I spend May - Oct at 8,200' in the Rockies and have 360deg unobstructed horizon views so no issues there. The rest of the year is usually spent beaching on the Texas Coast which is why I want to squeeze more out of the low Winter sun.

pianotuna >> I would use the 4th panel as an awning.

An interesting solution worth considering however sudden wind gusts in the mountains can peak > 50 mph in the blink of an eye and that might be a problem.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would use the 4th panel as an awning.

Front cap may not be a wise place to put such a device.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FlashBuddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDK - Was thinking of making or purchasing portable solar suitcase to chase early and late sun angles?
2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
rockylarson wrote:
I would not go with a design that locked me into always parking in a particular direction to function. Too many variables in views, site design, satellite access, etc.

Indeed, CW offered to mount it on the roof and I said, I want to just orient it whenever the optimum sunlight is.

Never regretted it.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go with a design that locked me into always parking in a particular direction to function. Too many variables in views, site design, satellite access, etc.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a panel on the C's roof up front just back from the front cap and almost lost it from wind effect while driving. It wasn't mounted as well as it should have been but it did go to show how strong the pressure is there.

(I heard it hammering, and was able to pull over in time--lucky!)

Our front cap is fibreglass or whatever it is, and the roof is rubber on wood, so not the same for mounting things. I would not try that with our front cap.

Perhaps you could get the same thing for the morning low sun by rigging the front roof panel so it can tilt. There have been posts showing how guys have done that with roof mounts.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
960 solar watts isnโ€™t enough? As an amateur I wouldn't guess at airflow.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad