cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another onan problem

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Friends just purchased an 89 class c with an Onan generator. When they try and start it from the inside switch or the one on the generator it starts and runs but when they let the switch go it stops. Any ideas. They live in the sticks so taking it in will take some time. I already told them too not take the finger off the switch.
12 REPLIES 12

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. the owners are retired school teachers so no help there. I will see the unit on 7-15 and will look for a code. I just purchased a 2015 Sunstar with the same generator so hope the codes have not changed

Mike

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As someone said, Onan generators are kind of "Chatty" when it comes to telling you how to feel.. Download the owner's manual and look up "Trouble Codes" for more on that.

Several sensors are disabled when starting, enabled when you take your finger off the button.. These include over temp, oil level, and 120vac out sensors.

I'm sure there are others as well but do not know what they are.

The blink code will tell you much, but it can be cryptic. For example "Low battery or Low cranking speed" You know that's not true cause it started after all.. Means no 120vac out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
There use to be some generator guys on this forum who knew there stuff, not sure this is the case anymore. I can tell you the oil switch is wish full thinking but is probably not the cause. If the gen does not produce power it will shutdown as soon as the switch is released. This can be caused by a multitude of issues and requires some electrical troubleshooting skills to find the cause. In other words unless your friends have a good electrical background there sol.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

2BNOT2B
Explorer
Explorer
May be of help??

Unit Starts And
Runs, Then
Stops When
The Start
Switch Is
Released
1. Low fluid levels. 1. Check & bring all fluids up to the
appropriate levels.
2. Possible overheating. 2. Check for blocked air flow or other possible
causes of overheating.
3. Other functional problem. 3. Contact a Cummins Onan Authorized RV
Service & Parts Dealer.
4. No AC output. 4. Contact a Cummins Onan Authorized RV
Service & Parts Dealer.
03, Fleetwood Expedition, 39Z
300HP Cummins, 6 Speed Allison
2013, Jeep Wrangler Sport

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need Model Number and Spec Code to even attempt to offer help.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

2BNOT2B
Explorer
Explorer
The generator should give a code as to why it will not run. Get the code form the generator guide. If you don't have the guide go on line and search Onan Generator codes. Or, call Onan with the code.
03, Fleetwood Expedition, 39Z
300HP Cummins, 6 Speed Allison
2013, Jeep Wrangler Sport

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to download an Onan troubleshooting guide:
Onan RV troubleshooting guide
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
You screw the cap all of the way back in to check the oil level. When you activate the start switch it bypasses the oil cutoff switch which could explain why the engine runs as long as the start switch is engaged. Low oil or a dirty or defective oil cutoff switch would be a logical assumption given your symptoms.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
The first thing I'd check is that the oil is full all the way to the tippy-top of the full mark on the dipstick . . .
Do you happen to know whether you're supposed to check the oil with the "cap" screwed all the way in, or just inserted? Thanks!

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel pump
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention it is suppose to have a new board and a recent oil change. The oil switch is a good idea. Thanks

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing I'd check is that the oil is full all the way to the tippy-top of the full mark on the dipstick. If it is, the oil level sensor switch could be bad.

There are other things that cause the control board to shut down the generator, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of them could kick in almost immediately, so the oil may not be the issue. However, it's an easy one to check and fix and I suspect probably the most common for the symptoms described.