cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attaching sign to cinder block

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where to post this, but I always get my questions answered on these forums.:) I want to post a sign on a cinder block wall. "No skate boarding" in case you're interested in what type of sign. What type of screw do I need to ask for at the hardware store? Thanks for your help.
17 REPLIES 17

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for Tapcon. Have used several times with no issues.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are great, thanks loads.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Depot also sells dual-sided glue tape just for such application.
That will not leave marks when removed.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Use a simple tube of concrete adhesive in a tube,

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
What type of screw do I need to ask for at the hardware store?

Why not just tell the guy at the hardware store what you are doing and let him recommend a product he has in stock. Go in and asking for a specific product eliminates your having access to some new and easy method that would otherwise be recommended.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely buy, beg, or borrow a hammer drill if you don't have one. The time and annoyance saved in making a hole in a cinder block will be very much worth it.

For these sorts of things, I generally use plastic wall anchors. That's just my personal preference.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree on the Tapcon Screws, but put them in the block itself, not the mortar joint. It will be stronger.

Also agree with putting construction adhesive on the back of the sign.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

In my work building solariums and patio covers I frequently have to attach things to cinder blocks.

I have a simple method that works very effectively.

I drill a pilot hole with a 3/16" concrete bit using my Hilti hammer drill. Then I use a #12 PHS sheet metal screw. PHS= pan head socket. Sheet metal screw because the threads go right to the top.

A #12 screw will turn snugly into a 3/16" hole drilled in both concrete and cinder block.
If the hole is loose in any way, cut a corner off a piece of dimensional lumber such as 2X4 and whittle it a bit, but keep it oversize, and pound it into the hole until flush. Then any screw will run in.

This method works well - I do it all the time.

If prying the sign off is an issue, liberally slather the back of it with silicone prior to attachment. The silicone sets up and is difficult to remove.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Not in the cylinder block, in the mortar joint.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Tapcon Screws will do the job.
You can buy small packs of screws with the proper masonry bit included.
They can be found at any hardware store.

X2. Available at Home Depot or Lowes.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking Tapcon also. i use them all the time in regular concrete.

Seems to me that the cinder block would have enough strength to hold for a sign.

No muss no fuss, just drill a hole with the proper size masonry bit and and screw them in.

The local farm supply store carries all sizes and gives the specs on which size bit to use.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buy stainless screws or you,ll have rust marks. stop at lowes FIND SOME ONE who looks smart and tell them your job.for a church some body should know how.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Tapcon Screws will do the job.
You can buy small packs of screws with the proper masonry bit included.
They can be found at any hardware store.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB: No, it's for our church. Thanks for the responses.