cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood heater problem

69gp
Explorer
Explorer
hi I have an Atwood heater that I am having trouble with. The heater will not stay running. Got to dark to look into it tonight but just looking for any ideas as to what it may be.

When I turn the switch on the water heater fires up and runs for about 5 seconds before shutting down. I did check the thermostats by disconnecting and bypassing them. Had no effect. I think the control board is ok because I do get a spark to light the unit.

Any clues?
Steve B
4100 lb 8.872@ 156 MPH naturally aspirated
Square peg in a round hole is the way to go
9 REPLIES 9

69gp
Explorer
Explorer
All Thanks for your input and suggestions. This was a double post and i was responding to the other post.

Below is what I posted on the other post.

Thanks for the Help, Had to replace the electrode. Brought the control board down to my local RV supply store and they did check it out and found that it was working properly. The electrode did look good, gave it a quick cleaning with some fine emery cloth porcelain was still shinny with no cracks in it. guess looks can be deceiving. As soon as I installed the new one and made a few adjustments it fired right up.
Steve B
4100 lb 8.872@ 156 MPH naturally aspirated
Square peg in a round hole is the way to go

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually it is rarely the control board that goes on Atwood heaters. The connections to the board seem to be the issue. I have cleaned the electrical connections several times and finally solved the issue by using a small office type binder clamp to keep the connections tight. Eventually I also had to replace the ignitor.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I assume you are running on GAS..

On mine, when new, and cold, it took me several tries before it would work, Kept going to FAULT. I am assuming moisture was keeping the flame sensor (Thermocouple) from sensing. Eventually I had to replace the control board and that fixed it..

Spark gap adjustments are often off, and this can prevent ignition.

Those are my two best guesses.

IF it is lighting (you will see and hear) 3 times and then going FAULT. the control board or thermocouple are the culprits. DInosaur boards are superior to Atwood OEM.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

flakjacket
Explorer
Explorer
Check the thermal cutoff fuse connection. I don't know how to post a picture, but if you open the hatch and your looking at the thermostats it's the one labeled T STAT. Disconnect it then disconnect the fuse (the clear tube) from the wire and clean the wire connector. Mine had some corrosion on it. I cleaned it up and added some dielectric grease to the connection to the wire only. Fires up like new now.
2005 Silverado 3500 LT, CC DRW 4WD D/A, Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000, Supersprings, Line-X, XM Radio
2007 Lance 1181, Fastguns

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee waited a whole minute before reposting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

chainegang
Explorer
Explorer
Stupid question. Is there water in the heater? Forgetting to cycle water into the water heater has been my brain dead happenning in the past. I usually drain all systems after use when a non use period follows an outing. An empty heater will reach high temp in a very short time making the sensor think the water is hot enough so as to stop the burner.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Post which year/model you have/
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double post deleted.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely a defective thermocouple.
Find the model number of the heater then google "Replace thermocouple in Atwood xxxxxxxx water heater" Replace xxxxxxxx with your model number.

Just checked now (from the other post) and that model doesn't have a thermocouple. It has a spark and sense electrode which is more than likely the problem