cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood water heater anode rod

erald
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10 gallon atwood water heater and decided I wanted to clean this out since suspected the former owner never did much. So got me all the stuff I needed including a anode rod they advised me to put in.
When I opened the heater to flush it there was only a metal plug which looked like the anode was completely gone.
There was a lot of stuff in there and checking the inners with an endoscope I found a a lot of calcium still on the pipes, so going to fill it with vinegar to get that cleaned.

However my question is do you need that anode rod or not? I am reading it is not needed while other tel me it is needed or better advised to do so

What are the pros and what are the cons
17 REPLIES 17

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

"Atwood water heater tanks are constructed of a high strength aluminum.
The interior of the tank consists of a .0015 thickness of type 7072
aluminum (pure aluminum and zinc) that is fused to the core during the
rolling process. This material protects the tanks from the effects of heavy
metals and salts found in waters throughout the country. It is anodic to
these heavy metals and acts much like an anode in a steel glass lined
tank except it will last much longer. Aftermarket Anode Rods are not
required and should not be used and will void warranty

First, that thickness can't be right.

Second, "It is anodic to these heavy metals and acts much like an anode in a steel glass lined tank except it will last much longer." this comment is something that I wonder about. With the tank sacrificing material like an anode rod, at some point the tank should be spent.

YES that is the correct thickness of the aluminum/zinc cladding inside the all aluminum tank Atwood uses.
It is a solid sheet of alloy that is 'bonded' to the full aluminum tank material during the 'rolling' process.

YES....over time that aluminum/zinc cladding will wear/deteriorate BUT you still have the full aluminum tank that then needs to deteriorate before pinhole leaks will occur.

Give or take a few years........20 year old Atwood aluminum tanks are not out of the norm
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was meaning to keep my personal views off the thread but I'm giving in.

I have an Atwood tank with no anode rod. My reasons have nothing to do with the dueling manufacturers' chemistry based claims.

1) I sometimes cross-thread things. The design of my Atwood tank encourages this with the drain plug. Cross thread the anode rod and you can ruin the tank. Cross thread the Atwood plug and you can ruin the plug. The weight of the anode rod raises the risk of cross threading even further.

2) Anode rods lead to particles in the tank that can get into the plumbing system and foul things downstream.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The coating on the inside of the tank is just that a coating over the top of standard aluminum. It is like but not the same as galvanizing over steel, it is a protective coating.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:

So, it is posted EXACTLY What Atwood states and you feel to post an aftermarket sales promotion?????????? Doug
You assume my intent was to promote, while my intent is actually to point out the irony that it's like a Ford vs. Chevy, Republican vs. Democrat, etc. situation where the two sides sound like they're from a different planet. Sheesh, if I would have re-posted Atwood's statement somebody would have dumped on me posting something that's already there. I'm no chemist, I don't have any statistical data, I'm just an RV owner who is frustrated by the opposite claims, which taken together are absurd.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

First, that thickness can't be right.

Second, "It is anodic to these heavy metals and acts much like an anode in a steel glass lined tank except it will last much longer." this comment is something that I wonder about. With the tank sacrificing material like an anode rod, at some point the tank should be spent.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
tempforce wrote:
I installed a drain valve...

What's the Valve made of? A plastic one, made for high temperature, sounds like a good idea. But if the valve is brass, very likely you won't be able to ever remove it without damage.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
road-runner wrote:
And as is all to typical, Camco says "Camco RV Magnesium Anode Rod extends the life of a water heater by attracting corrosive elements in the water, protecting the tank and elements from corrosion. This Anode Rod fits Atwood water heaters."

I'm not suggesting to believe this, just repeating what they say.

So, it is posted EXACTLY What Atwood states and you feel to post an aftermarket sales promotion?????????? Doug

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
And as is all to typical, Camco says "Camco RV Magnesium Anode Rod extends the life of a water heater by attracting corrosive elements in the water, protecting the tank and elements from corrosion. This Anode Rod fits Atwood water heaters."

"They" just want your money.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a drain valve, so I could drain the tank without using the pressure relief valve to drain sediment. which I did twice a year as I was a snowbird. going from hard water to soft water each season... which is hard on water heaters..

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
If Camco stated that, they are FOS.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

2009 Fleetwood Icon

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
All correct. Return the anode and just buy the "two pack" of Atwood brand nylon drain plugs. I like 2 1/4 wraps of teflon tape on the plug.

Be sure to either flush out or "vacuum" out (5' siphon hose)the minerals in the bottom of the tank-- the drain is NOT in the absolute bottom.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Plug should be the nylon from Atwood or other after market.
No anode rod.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just cause 'THEY' advised you should use one.....THEY are WRONG!

Lots of items ar available via aftermarket but that has no relationship to actual need.

Atwood doesn't supply one OEM..doesn't have an Atwood part number and states they are NOT required.

Do the vinegar soak.
Remove T&P Relief Valve
Install NEW NYLON drain plug...Atwood uses NYLON due to high temp rating (Plastic temp rating is NOT high enough)
10 gal WH tank------6 gallons of vinegar/4 gallons water
Use funnel and fill WH tank with mixture
Install T&P Relief Valve
Run WH thru 4-5 heat cycles W/O using/adding any water
Heat/let cool....repeat
Then drain WH and flush

(Do a 'power flush' but removing drain plug and then turning water on full and let it BLAST out of drain hole.....drain hole is only 1/2")
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31