cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle-less trailer suspension: pros and cons?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This goes into the "you learn something new every day" category -- I never heard of this before. It seems like a good idea -- improved stability and ground clearance, especially for those of us who take our trailers off pavement. Not cheap, but might be worthwhile?

If you have any additional insights, I'd be very interested in your comments!

Axle-less suspensions
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
13 REPLIES 13

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
More options are available.

QCMan wrote:
"Specs:
Fits: 1-axle and 2-axle trailers that use low-pressure, off-road tires."
How many of our trailers would this apply to?
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
cons: expensive

pros: everything else...

I would love to have them, but cannot justify the expense.

I'm not sure the claims that a standard axle provide added strength to the trailer frame. Can anyone explain this? Are you sure the standard axle does not weaken thee frame compared to these Timbrens?
Other than the leaf springs being mounted a few feet apart to the frame and spreading the stresses that way, I dont see what stresses will be new.

You will need, maybe, to beef up the mounting area, you will need a mounting plate anyway, so that might be all that is needed.
You will need to weld or hire a trailer welder and hope they get it straight.
I once had a new torsion axle welded on and they welded it crooked, disaster. I should have walked away when the welder said he could not weld a bracket on. Dummy.

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
"Specs:
Fits: 1-axle and 2-axle trailers that use low-pressure, off-road tires."
How many of our trailers would this apply to?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Is cross-bracing something that can be done when upgrading to the new axles? Or is that something that has to be built in to the original frame?

I was looking into them early last year. I was concerned about the possibility that mounting to a thin frame could cause them to rip loose with side to side forces against the tires, but I believe there is a square tube brace that could be added to tie them together to reduce those side to side forces.

With the square tube there is still better ground clearance than standard axles. There are square sockets on some them where I believe the square tube fits into. Can't find anything about the sq tubing on the Timbren web site, bit I'm shure I saw it.

I like the Timbrens because you can replace the rubber bushings if they wear out. You can't replace the rubber strips on a torsion axle and would have to replace the complete axle if the rubber wears out just on one side. The rubber strips are what makes the torsion suspension work. Rubber does age and wear out over time.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
MORryde IS
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed Morryde IS on a brand new 5th wheel. NOT CHEAP, but worth every penny. It made a huge improvement on towing.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Is cross-bracing something that can be done when upgrading to the new axles? Or is that something that has to be built in to the original frame?

MORryde IS, mentioned previously in this thread, requires it, and it's part of the install process.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dexter makes their Torflex axles have a frame member that mounts up against the trailer frame to provide strength. The arms of the suspension are mounted on the end of this frame member.
These axles have been used on light, medium, heavy, and super-heavy duty trailers for years.
My snowmobile trailer has a Dexter Torflex axle to provide better snow clearance.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
In the context of RV trailers, the average rv trailer frame would have to be designed much heavier and stiffer to resist the stresses imposed by this product. Nothing wrong with the product itself, IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
The frame must be cross braced! Without an axel to spread the lateral forces the frame can twist.
Other than that, they are a good suspension.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mor/ryde IS has been in use for many years...no axles

Jim

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Has been used for years on light duty sailboat trailers. They must be somewhat dependable.