cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

axle seal questions

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I need to buy axle seals from my 3500 lb axles and from what I can tell, I need the Dexter 010-004-00 (K71-303-00). I believe they are single lip seals (non EZ Lube hubs) but most sources I found have a high shipping rate or list a double lip seal. Can I use a double lip seal in place of a single lip? Amazon sells a Lippert seal I can get with Prime shipping. Any issues with using a Lippert seal on a Dexter axle if the seal outer and inner dimensions are the same?
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
5 REPLIES 5

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Have you taken a look at the etrailer site?

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
I would actually measure your axle diameter before ordering.
Difficult to be sure you're getting the right one otherwise.

In my case, it turned out that my Al-Ko 5200# axles come in two different diameters, and I had ordered the wrong seals.

Luckily the right seals were available at a local shop (at 3x the price).
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
walk in to a auto parts store they should stock them, and I like a double lip better.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
I need to buy axle seals from my 3500 lb axles and from what I can tell, I need the Dexter 010-004-00 (K71-303-00). I believe they are single lip seals (non EZ Lube hubs) but most sources I found have a high shipping rate or list a double lip seal. Can I use a double lip seal in place of a single lip? Amazon sells a Lippert seal I can get with Prime shipping. Any issues with using a Lippert seal on a Dexter axle if the seal outer and inner dimensions are the same?

Yes, you can use any seal that has the dimensions that fit your hub and axle dimensions.

BTW; I don't think it would hurt anything if you did used a double lip seal over the single. JMHO

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Can I use a double lip seal in place of a single lip?
Yes. Double lip seals help seal the dirt and grime out as well as keeping the grease in.