cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

backup camera

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
I resently purchased a backup system for my rv.The screen has the slightest static in the monitor.I have the camera hooked up to the monitor and the monitor powered to a dc plug in the cigarette plug in the dash.I tryed to wire it to a fuse in the fuse box but it does the same thing.Does anyone have any other ideas?
joe money
16 REPLIES 16

westend
Explorer
Explorer
joe0508 wrote:
westend wrote:
If it's possible, power the camera and monitor directly from the battery with the vehicle off. That will eliminate any interference from the vehicle's charging system as a cause.
I will try that but what if the charging system is the problem.What would i do than?I have tryed it in the dc plug with the motor off and get the same results.Dont no if that would be the same concept.
I don't know how your vehicle operates. If a key has to be turned to enable the 12v port, it probably powers a fuel pump, relays, or any manner of things. If the monitor interference is less with the vehicle off and the monitor powered, than on, that would indicate interference from the vehicle (pretty common).

One solution to eliminate certain frequencies of interference is a ferrite. Cheap and easy solution to try.

A source of monitor problem might also be poor connections, bad wire, or inductive noise from a nearby device.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
joe0508 wrote:
mikeh449 wrote:
get a choke wired in line like for a cb radio will smooth out the dc voltage
Thanks for that info.I will try that if the battery thing works.Do i just look up wire choke or how would i google it?Is this the kind of thing your talking about?http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKMAN-CBNF3AXX-CB-RADIO-STEREO-POWER-NOISE-FILTER-20-AMP-3-PIN-/111324236718
Would i need a 10 amp or a 30 amp?
joe money

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
Will this work http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Workman-Bandit-NF40-noise-filter-20-AMP-CB-sterio-noise-filter-NEW-/120881946312 or is this more like it and if so where does the blue wire go http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-NF-10-10-AMP-DELUXE-POWER-LEAD-FILTER-/310832213278?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
joe money

darlingtontrio
Explorer
Explorer
You may be picking up interference from a power wire ran either across the video wire or either next to it. I have ran into this problem at work. If the video wire is not an insulated wire, it will pick up the slightest bit of static from any wire that produces electricity. It can be very frustrating.
2013 Ford F150 STX
2001 Jayco Kiwi Hybrid 23B

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
mikeh449 wrote:
Thanks for that info.I will try that if the battery thing works.Do i just look up wire choke or how would i google it?Is this the kind of thing your talking about?http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKMAN-CBNF3AXX-CB-RADIO-STEREO-POWER-NOISE-FILTER-20-AMP-3-PIN-/111324236718
joe money

rtruman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a red line in mine

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
joe0508 wrote:
westend wrote:
If it's possible, power the camera and monitor directly from the battery with the vehicle off. That will eliminate any interference from the vehicle's charging system as a cause.
I will try that but what if the charging system is the problem.What would i do than?I have tryed it in the dc plug with the motor off and get the same results.Dont no if that would be the same concept.

If you were not running inverter/converter, overhead lights, etc, it may be a bad monitor. I'd still try it hooked directly to a battery that is not connected to anything else. If it still has the problem, I'd be asking for a replacement.

Fred
I did have the generator on so maybe that was it.I will try the battery thanks.Also i dont know if the two ar related but if i roll up/down my power window the screen will turn completely off and show black and white lines rolling.
joe money

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
joe0508 wrote:
westend wrote:

If you were not running inverter/converter, overhead lights, etc, it may be a bad monitor. I'd still try it hooked directly to a battery that is not connected to anything else. If it still has the problem, I'd be asking for a replacement.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
joe0508 wrote:
oilslick wrote:
I tried one on my last truck and same thing, it said in the instructions that there would be interference from a diesel engine, I just didn't believe them, removed and returned.
Was it wired or wireless?Mine is wired.

It was wireless...

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
joe money

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
oilslick wrote:
I tried one on my last truck and same thing, it said in the instructions that there would be interference from a diesel engine, I just didn't believe them, removed and returned.
Was it wired or wireless?Mine is wired.
joe money

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer