cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ball mounts Is it legal to have one when not towing?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Some time ago there was quite the thread about whether is it legal or not to have a ball mount in a TV when no trailer is attached. Came across answer today when looking for other stuff. I suppose answer is good for WA state only?

Question: Is it legal to have a removable ball mount and ball installed on a trailer hitch when not pulling a trailer?
A: Yes.
โ€œI canโ€™t find anything that says it has to be removed when not in use,โ€ State Patrol Trooper Christina Martin said in response.
However, if the ball interferes with the visibility of the vehicle license that could be a violation and the ball should be removed, Martin clarified Tuesday.

P.S. I don't simply because when we broke down on fwy, trooper wouldn't push us due to damage to patrol car radiators, (dept SOP)finally found key to lock and removed ball mount, so he pushed us off fwy. And general info, he pushed us off because of no shoulder and tow away zone, so we were "traffic hazard".
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
86 REPLIES 86

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Oh yeah - the poster that finds his ball mount rusted in place: Spray inside receiver *before winter* with PB Blaster, WD-40, etc. Problem solved.

that's what I did but I did have to tie a rope to the ball and secure the other end and give it a yank forward.
bumpy

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Since this has gone off topic - from ball mounts illegal (old wives' tale, "tail"?, LOL) to "protection", etc........

My choice is a tube type "Receiver Hitch Step" - or "Rear Bumper Guard" - convenience first, protection secondary.

Brands: Bully, Rhino, Smitty-Built, Harbor Freight, etc.

Thirty-six inch long 3" tube with flat surface/s on top (steps).
Rhino brand is 38" long.

The brand I found long ago was "Polar Bear" - which apparently is no longer sold.
It's adjustable for height, and distance it extends from the receiver.

My set-up:
Bumper height from ground to top of factory bumper is 28".
Factory bumper has built in step - at 22".
From ground to top of Hitch Step is 15".
Distance from receiver (and factory bumper) to outside of step is 6".

Handy step for reaching stuff in the bottom of bed.
Store tow chain & tow strap inside 'the tube".

It's the first item (expendable) for a 'rear-ender'.

BTW - it stays there (even when towing 5th wheel), only removed to use receiver for "something else" - like towing a utility trailer.
Never any problem with ground clearance backing up inclines, etc.

Oh yeah - the poster that finds his ball mount rusted in place: Spray inside receiver *before winter* with PB Blaster, WD-40, etc. Problem solved.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Another forum thread is about front mounting a hitch. Might be a good idea for those who worry about getting rammed from the front or rear. Freud would really have fun with that one.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
APRSRVer wrote:
Over time ball mounts rust into receiver and can't be removed. I always remove mine when not using for that reason.

I have lived in Arizona my entire life and I've never seen that happen. LOL
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

ve7prt
Explorer
Explorer
talonhead wrote:
Mine stays in. I use it when I back into parking spaces that have a wall or rail at the back- keeps me from dinging my bumper. I have also had folks who haven't had their coffee yet 'v' their license plates when they pull in behind me at oh dark thirty. One guy's bumper came in over the ball, then settled down during the day. I went to leave and almost dumped my soda when the ball grabbed the bumper! The azzhat didn't even have a jack in his car! I helped......I used my handy jack:)
As for barking my shins on it....I walk around the front!
MikeH

Now that's funny!:p

Cheers!

Mike Shepherd (VE7PRT)

Pulling Power:

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 6.7L CTD, 68rfe, Brakesmart, Edge Insight CTS

Sleeping Space:

2007 Rockwood Cargo-cum-Camper Trailer

Mike & Bernie's Website

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
When our hitch is on the truck, it has two fluorescent pink "ribbons" hanging from it, with the idea of a warning for others plus myself, when walking behind the vehicle -- a "shin saver" if you will.

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Over time ball mounts rust into receiver and can't be removed. I always remove mine when not using for that reason.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
talonhead wrote:
Mine stays in. I use it when I back into parking spaces that have a wall or rail at the back- keeps me from dinging my bumper.

Wow, really? So you intentionally bump into whatever you're backing up to? :S Do you also use other peoples' car sides when you open your door?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

talonhead
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays in. I use it when I back into parking spaces that have a wall or rail at the back- keeps me from dinging my bumper. I have also had folks who haven't had their coffee yet 'v' their license plates when they pull in behind me at oh dark thirty. One guy's bumper came in over the ball, then settled down during the day. I went to leave and almost dumped my soda when the ball grabbed the bumper! The azzhat didn't even have a jack in his car! I helped......I used my handy jack:)
As for barking my shins on it....I walk around the front!
MikeH
2014 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Dually 4WD (True Blue Pearl) w/Alcoa's & paint match bumpers.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
renoman69 wrote:
Slightly off topic but I was watching a fishing show awhile back and they were discussing towing your boat. They advised to remove the ball and receiver pin all the time. Reason being that the receiver pin can wear badly if it is not tight. They actually had one on the show that was worn down to a sliver. Could have easily broke and lost the trailer. That being said mine has been in for about 4 years now, locked with the lock so full of dirt I"ll probably have to grind it off. I however drilled and tapped a bolt hole in the bottom of the receiver to snug it up so my Rock Tamers don't flop around.

yep, my blue ox tow bar was so stuck when I went to sell the motorhome that I had to use a rope to hold it and drove forward to get it loose.
bumpy

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
Slightly off topic but I was watching a fishing show awhile back and they were discussing towing your boat. They advised to remove the ball and receiver pin all the time. Reason being that the receiver pin can wear badly if it is not tight. They actually had one on the show that was worn down to a sliver. Could have easily broke and lost the trailer. That being said mine has been in for about 4 years now, locked with the lock so full of dirt I"ll probably have to grind it off. I however drilled and tapped a bolt hole in the bottom of the receiver to snug it up so my Rock Tamers don't flop around.
2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
That said, I need to wonder about those stating they use them to protect the bumper. Seems a poor trade to me to sacrifice the truck frame for the bumper. Seems like it might be better the other way around.

I had the hitch out of my receiver on my Class IV hitch of the 4Runner. We were sitting at a light for about 30 secs when someone rearended us.

Quite the thump and scooted us forward a little, but when I got out, only a little cracked plastic of the bumper cover. Their older Camaro, however, was not so lucky.

They didn't pull over with us after the turning light changed and tried to take off. I called it in hit and run, sure didn't want them coming back on us. They were found about a block away in the Walmart parking lot, not going anywhere ๐Ÿ˜‰

We didn't press any charges or anything, just thankful nobody was hurt, and very glad we had that sturdy receiver! If we had the hitch in place (I usually do), they may not have made it through the light.

So just having the receiver is a great supplement to the bumper by itself. Having a hitch would be extra ๐Ÿ˜‰

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
My drawbar stays in until I have a need to switch it for another one with a different amount of drop or length. That said, I need to wonder about those stating they use them to protect the bumper. Seems a poor trade to me to sacrifice the truck frame for the bumper. Seems like it might be better the other way around.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
Raften wrote:
Just a observation about having just a hitch pin on your 5/8 pin. Several years ago a friend of a friend was killed when a stinger came out on the highway and hit her. The most likely reason is someone pulled the pin and the big pin worked it's way out and a bump allowed the stinger to fall out.

I use a grade 8 bolt and nut with a set screw safety. No one is going to get that out unless they have a hex wrench in hand.

I always use a heavy duty hitch pin with built in lock. Hitches are too expensive to leave them unlocked.

yep, I have always used a lockable hitch pin. when I towed a toad I also had two of them at the connection of tow bar and toad.
bumpy