cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries not getting 13.6 volts from distribution center

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
I hope someone will be able to provide me with direction. I noticed my batteries were not holding their charge so I started investigating the problem.

I started by checking the inline fuse on the black/positive wire. It was fine.

I started troubleshooting the distributor center as suggested by the manual, first by checking the two reverse polarity fuses which were fine. Next, with the trailer plugged into 120V AC, I unhooked the battery cables from the battery distribution center and tested the voltage at the battery cable ends. It read 0.00. I went in and tested the positive and negative output lugs and it was 13.6 (as the manual said it should be. Am I wrong in assuming the distribution center itself is working properly?

I've swapped out the inline fuse just to make sure it wasn't causing a problem. If there is an open in the wire, how would I find it? The wires travel down the frame of the RV for only a few feet and then disappear into the underbelly. How doI check for a loose ground? Finally the manual says it could be improper torques. What the heck does that mean??

Now comes the wacka-doodle portion of my question. Yesterday I could not get my trailer's clearance lights and license plate light to come on. I found I'd get a flash of lights if I smacked the left rear brake light so I took the lens cover off. As I worked, the clearance lights flickered on and off. I reached behind the brake light LED and pulled the bulb for the license plate light and the flickering stopped and my clearance lights came on and stayed on. I've got the bulb pulled out so I can get a new one. There is no freak of RV wiring that would cause these two issues to be related, is there? And why would a bad license plate bulb cause the clearance lights to go out?

Sorry for the long post, guys. Thanks for any insight you are able to give me.

Carolyn
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS
2013 Chevy Express 3500 - 6.0L V8, 6 speed trans.
Wolfhounds Duan, Vonnie, Cadhla, Sebastian and wee puppy MoonPie
And not to be forgotten, litte red terrier, Ozzy, the dog "Down Under"
17 REPLIES 17

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm,

BEST WISHES TO YOU AMIGO! You're not ALLOWED to get ill, got it? ๐Ÿ™‚

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check your battery disconnect switch as well. Hands on I can chase this kind of thing normally but I'm stuck in the Port Huron, MI area for a lot longer than I like this year.

Yesterday afternoon was not a whole lot of fun (Hospital) Thankfully the doctor listened to my secondary complaints,, This greatly improved the overall experience.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Tiggs wrote:
I feel soooooooooo stuuuuuupit!!! My battery disconnect switch was pushed in instead of pulled out. Once I pulled it out I had 13.6 volts at the battery cables. I apologize for the false alarm. I guess I shouldn't be messing with things when my brain is tired from spending the entire day keeping me out of trouble.

Sorry,

Carolyn

You weren't the first and you won't be the last! I'm in there too somewhere. :S

Aw shoot you all ain't seen nothing!

You ought to have seen a professionally designed and created multi-matrix-level stupid mistake made by me.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Tiggs wrote:
I feel soooooooooo stuuuuuupit!!! My battery disconnect switch was pushed in instead of pulled out. Once I pulled it out I had 13.6 volts at the battery cables. I apologize for the false alarm. I guess I shouldn't be messing with things when my brain is tired from spending the entire day keeping me out of trouble.

Sorry,

Carolyn
No sweat, nobody got injured and nothing is broken. We all need a reminder to check the simple stuff first.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Tiggs wrote:

Sorry,

Carolyn

You weren't the first and you won't be the last! I'm in there too somewhere. :S

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Mex: NOPE. Wouldn't even try--batteries are too expensive!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Let me ask a general purpose question to any and all forum participants...

This is in regard to FLOODED LEAD ACID BATTERIES. Cyclable batteries.

And aimed at folks who cycle their batteries....wilderness camping, generator recharging.

OK here goes...

Does anyone want to claim they have used and attest to the fact that they have purchased and installed a "Plug & Play" charger and used it for six months (at least 30 full discharge/charge cycles) whereupon they have checked the batteries, found no excessive water loss, and did indeed find all cells of all batteries right at new battery specific gravity density using a reliable hydrometer?

NO PLUGGED IN AT HOME recharging allowed

Remember, we're talking "hands off" charging

Anyone want to bite?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Easy fix!
Thats for the update!
Happy Camping!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer

Sorry,

Carolyn
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd bet you measured the 0 V incorrectly or it may be that that an inline circuit breaker has tripped.

The running lights issue is unrelated to your cabin power and distribution center. It may be that the fixture is oxidized to the ground lead and when you futz with the license plate bulb it moves enough to renew the connection.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
Is your converter/charger a Magnetek 63XX, by any chance?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got lost where you disconnected the battery at the DC dist panel and got no voltage instead of converter voltage at 13.x. with shore power on.

Usually you disconnect the battery wires at the battery itself.

I know what you mean! ๐Ÿ˜ž It might make more sense in the morning.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
I've already checked the reverse polarity fuses The inline fuse is fine and the batteries were providing power to the cabin. I don't understand how I can be sending 13.6 from the distribution center and not having it get there when the battery is sending power up those same cables to the distribution center and powering the lights. I'm going to have to re-verify everything tomorrow. I've got the batteries disconnected from the TT and am charging them with a car charger right now. Maybe there is something really stupid I'm forgetting? I was getting dark and I was a bit tired when I was trying to figure this all out.

Carolyn
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You have two problems.
Would help to know what kind of rig.
Have you tried cycling your battery disconnect switch, if equipped. Turn off batteries then back on.
Some rigs have another circuit breaker or fuse adjacent to the batteries.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker